J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis fantasy pioneers were Christians

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
I remember a game store run by an atheist, and he was selling bumper stickers with all kind of obnoxious anti-Christian slogans, and I felt like telling him, how do you know which of your customers are Christian and are offended by these bumper stickers.

But there are those who have tried to turn the science fiction/fantasy/gaming world into an atheist clubhouse, and make Christians feel unwelcome.

And some are deluded, thinking because a handful of fundamentalist Christian churches have condemned fantasy and roleplaying games, that is somehow a mainstream Christian position.

Well, J.R.R. Tolkien, writer of the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and C.S. Lewis, writer of the Narnia Chronicles and Out of the Silent Planet series of science fiction books, were both devout Christians.

J.R.R. Tolkien was always a Catholic, an orphan raised by a Catholic priest.

C.S. Lewis started as an atheist, but converted to Anglicanism later in life.

Tolkien and Lewis were the inventors of the modern fantasy setting of dwarves, elves, wizards, and dragons, and these types of stories are heavily influenced by Christian symbolism and references.

For example, the lambda bread that the elves give to the Fellowship is symbolic of the Eucharist.

C.S. Lewis' symbolism is even more obvious. Aslan the Lion is a character modeled after Jesus Christ, and the entire Narnia series is retelling of Biblical stories, from the creation, to Christ's suffering on the cross and resurrection, to the appearance of an anti-Christ and the end of the world.

I would like to tell that atheist game store owner a thing or two, but he is out of business now, so perhaps his bumper stickers did alienate enough people to cause him to lose his store.

I remember a game store run by an atheist, and he was selling bumper stickers with all kind of obnoxious anti-Christian slogans, and I felt like telling him, how do you know which of your customers are Christian and are offended by these bumper stickers.

But there are those who have tried to turn the science fiction/fantasy/gaming world into an atheist clubhouse, and make Christians feel unwelcome.

And some are deluded, thinking because a handful of fundamentalist Christian churches have condemned fantasy and roleplaying games, that is somehow a mainstream Christian position.

Well, J.R.R. Tolkien, writer of the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and C.S. Lewis, writer of the Narnia Chronicles and Out of the Silent Planet series of science fiction books, were both devout Christians.

Tolkien and Lewis were the inventors of the modern fantasy setting of dwarves, elves, wizards, and dragons, and these types of stories are heavily influenced by Christian symbolism and references.

For example, the lambda bread that the elves give to the Fellowship is symbolic of the Eucharist.

C.S. Lewis' symbolism is even more obvious. Aslan the Lion is a character modeled after Jesus Christ, and the entire Narnia series is retelling of Biblical stories, from the creation, to Christ's suffering on the cross and resurrection, to the appearance of an anti-Christ and the end of the world.

I would like to tell that atheist game store owner a thing or two, but he is out of business now, so perhaps his bumper stickers did alienate enough people to cause him to lose his store.

Lewis is well known for having strong Christian influence in his writing. While Tolkien's work may have been influenced by his Catholicism, he did not approve of allegory in general and thought that Lewis was far too blatant with his Christian symbolism. Apparently Tolkien actually influenced Lewis to convert to Christianity, or more accurately return to it.

A quote from The Fellowship of the Ring
Why C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien Argued Over Christian Theology

Fantasy and sci-fi may tend to draw more atheists than Christians, or at least a higher percentage of the former than the latter. I wonder where you get the impression that those who enjoy fantasy and sci-fi make Christians feel unwelcome, though. Is it a matter of personal experience, something seen in the news/media, or something else? I have been into those kinds of things for many years and have Christian friends who are, as well, so I can't really say it's something I've experienced; on the other hand, I've never enjoyed the sort of gaming gatherings, or cons, or social events revolving around fantasy/sci-fi or RPGs, so I can't speak to large numbers of people into those genres.

While the OP may be accurate, I would also point out that the amnesty between the sci-fi/fantasy writers, readers, and fans, and Christianity kinda lays at the feet of Christians. Yes, Tolkien, and Lewis were Christians. Since then, Christians have attacked D&D, have called Harry Potter evil, piss on R.R. Martin, and generally poo-pooed science fiction, and fantasy, in general. So, yeah. Those of us who enjoy science fiction, and fantasy generally expect hostility from Christians, and act accordingly.

There is more to the Lord of the Rings then many know but you must know Hebrew... The Return of the King means nothing in English but in Hebrew would be HASHEV of the Malachi....There is so much more but sometimes messages and lessons are hidden and for good reason...

No I have known it for sometime as Sam( wise) says to Frodo( played by Elijah Woods) at the " end" of all things after the "ring" is destroyed and all are freed from their imprisoment of sorts... After all we are all in prisons of our own making usually passed on by our limitations taught to us by our childhood beliefs or teachings...

You did not already know this?

Aslan is turkish and a variation on the arabic for lion

Of course people who's lives were steeped in fantasy would be Christian

Once again, you've said what I was thinking.

I've never been able to stir up any interest in Tolkien, Lewis, fantasy games like Dungeons and Dragons and still have not sat through an entire Harry Potter movie or even started one of the books.

I mostly read non-fiction but the fiction I like is based on reality. Obviously, that's why I'm not interested in the bible. Also because I already read more than enough of it.

I've never been able to stir up any interest in Tolkien, Lewis, fantasy games like Dungeons and Dragons and still have not sat through an entire Harry Potter movie or even started one of the books.

I mostly read non-fiction but the fiction I like is based on reality. Obviously, that's why I'm not interested in the bible. Also because I already read more than enough of it.

That's a pretty silly attempt to make a dig at Christianity or just religion in general.

You should totally read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

Ugh, don't read Harry Potter. :p

Oh come on now

Oh come on now

I started one of the Harry Potter books and found it to be silly kids crap. :)

I'm not a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings books, either, but they are at least adult-oriented.

Forum List

Back