It's Happening Again - Homes Lost - Some Rent Control Needed

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
It's happening again. 2 years ago I and hundred of others in my apartment complex were forced out of our homes (apartments), when a new landlord bought the complex we were living in, and immediately raised our rents from $550/month to $900/month (for a 1 bedroom).

Now the complex I'm living in (which I came to, to escape from the previous one), has also been bought, and this new owner, like in the other complex, has also raised the rents very high. From $600/month to $850/mo.

There are certain things to take note of here. This is not a typical apartment complex. Although there is no age restriction, almost all the residents here are senior citizens, retired, and on LOW fixed incomes. Many do not own a car. Must are unable to move, and the housing market here (Tampa, FL) is such that there simply is no place to move to around here that is less than about $900/mo for 1 bdrm. Most residents are trapped here, and either cannot pay the new rent, or like myself, can just barely pay it, and still cover other necessities.

So one greed freak, ignoring the fact that the complex is much more than just HIS business, it is also the homes of hundreds of people, looks at this as nothing but a lucrative cash cow to manipulate, just for him.

So now we get to the real crux of all this. It comes down to what government is. Why it exists. It is here for the PROTECTION of the people. It is FOR the people. As much as l respect business ownership and private enterprise (I owned my own business for 12 years in the past), I recognize that business owners should not be be allowed to do ANYTHING. Rights of private property must have limits where the public would be excessively burdened to the point of some people becoming homeless.

As is the case with any business, owners cannot be allowed to do anything at all. Amusement park owners must comply with regulations that keep their roller coasters and other rides, safe. Builders must meet codes that restrict asbestos and other carcenogenic materials, and those that would allow buildings to collapse.

It should be noted that unlike musical instruments, fishing equipment, computers, and stuff that are not necessities, housing is among the group of things that people HAVE TO HAVE. That makes its position unique, relative to government Only food is as essential. And when there is no alternative, the public should be protected by business price gouging. Gasoline, food, housing, electricity, and other necessities do require SOME degree of regulation.

Let's hear what some people who are in this predicament have to say, not those who own homes and don't face danger of becoming homeless. THis is far more than just somebody's economic ideology, who has no personal housing worries. Th reason why this is in Health & Lifestyle is because the residents who are in serious peril, are the point of reference in this thread, not those involved in business investment.

Hear ya. The same thing happened to me. My little 1 bd house was sold. The new owner said he could squeeze three Mexican families in. Each would pay what I was paying. I could triple my rent or get out.

Organize a union of renters. Get some rent control going.

Capitalism can suck. People were willing to pay more rent than you so they got the apartment.

It's happening again. 2 years ago I and hundred of others in my apartment complex were forced out of our homes (apartments), when a new landlord bought the complex we were living in, and immediately raised our rents from $550/month to $900/month (for a 1 bedroom).

Now the complex I'm living in (which I came to, to escape from the previous one), has also been bought, and this new owner, like in the other complex, has also raised the rents very high. From $600/month to $850/mo.

There are certain things to take note of here. This is not a typical apartment complex. Although there is no age restriction, almost all the residents here are senior citizens, retired, and on LOW fixed incomes. Many do not own a car. Must are unable to move, and the housing market here (Tampa, FL) is such that there simply is no place to move to around here that is less than about $900/mo for 1 bdrm. Most residents are trapped here, and either cannot pay the new rent, or like myself, can just barely pay it, and still cover other necessities.

So one greed freak, ignoring the fact that the complex is much more than just HIS business, it is also the homes of hundreds of people, looks at this as nothing but a lucrative cash cow to manipulate, just for him.

So now we get to the real crux of all this. It comes down to what government is. Why it exists. It is here for the PROTECTION of the people. It is FOR the people. As much as l respect business ownership and private enterprise (I owned my own business for 12 years in the past), I recognize that business owners should not be be allowed to do ANYTHING. Rights of private property must have limits where the public would be excessively burdened to the point of some people becoming homeless.

As is the case with any business, owners cannot be allowed to do anything at all. Amusement park owners must comply with regulations that keep their roller coasters and other rides, safe. Builders must meet codes that restrict asbestos and other carcenogenic materials, and those that would allow buildings to collapse.

It should be noted that unlike musical instruments, fishing equipment, computers, and stuff that are not necessities, housing is among the group of things that people HAVE TO HAVE. That makes its position unique, relative to government Only food is as essential. And when there is no alternative, the public should be protected by business price gouging. Gasoline, food, housing, electricity, and other necessities do require SOME degree of regulation.

Let's hear what some people who are in this predicament have to say, not those who own homes and don't face danger of becoming homeless. THis is far more than just somebody's economic ideology, who has no personal housing worries. Th reason why this is in Health & Lifestyle is because the residents who are in serious peril, are the point of reference in this thread, not those involved in business investment.
when you live under someone elses roof you live by their rules,, better to own,,

Legally the new owner has to honor all current leases, in most cases I have ever seen

This is what republicanism leads to. Poor people with no place to.go.

Maybe you could hold a protest? Oh wait, you hate protestors and think they should be run over.

Shoulda voted Democrat.

My sincerest condolences. I don't have much more to say because of my situation, but my heart hurts for you and those in your situation.

If you can organize the residents to agree , do the math, and see if as a group you can buy the complex. Do a professional business proposal and make an offer. All they can say is no or maybe yes.

If you can organize the residents to agree , do the math, and see if as a group you can buy the complex. Do a professional business proposal and make an offer. All they can say is no or maybe yes.
One possibility. I would wish anyone wanting to do this the best of luck and offer whatever support I could.

It's called "the market". It has existed since the beginning of human interactions. You can't wish it away with legislation.

See if you qualify for Section 8 if you cannot find affordable housing or move to a cheaper city. The rest is just reality on the ground. It can be tough for seniors but the same sort of thing happens in college towns across america as well. I was absolutely shocked at how much off-campus housing was when I was in grad school for basically dumpier than dumpy dumps. It was about twice the rent of a single family house in my home town. Your choices were pay it, move way away and suffer the wintery commutes, or live in a trailer park. There wasn't much other options. 1 person I knew lived in a flea trap motel for a semester until he could put a group house together because it was cheaper than a one bedroom apartment.

Ya'all rejected social reform of America that would bring it up to similar levels in the world's leading democracies. You called it communism!
And now ya'all want sympathy as the chickens start to come home.

You get fascism, the very opposite of communism!

Organize a union of renters. Get some rent control going.

Capitalism can suck. People were willing to pay more rent than you so they got the apartment.
Hasn't gotten to that point yet. The rent go up January 1st. Some apartments (many) will be vacated. Owner may find he overestimated. These apartments are not worth $850. No central AC. No pool. no clubhouse, No tennis or basketball court, No exercise room. None of the amenities common to apt complexes with $850 rents. Bad neighborhood to boot, and not on the busline.

Now they add a noisy leaf blower. Made things worse.

when you live under someone elses roof you live by their rules,, better to own,,
In many cases yes. But if the neighborhood changes, and you want to get out, it could be had to sell. Also, with ownership, you pay all the maintenance and repair expenses, and property tax

Forum List

Back