It's Happening Again - Homes Lost - Some Rent Control Needed

This is what republicanism leads to. Poor people with no place to.go.

Maybe you could hold a protest? Oh wait, you hate protestors and think they should be run over.

Shoulda voted Democrat.
All the legislators and US congresswoman (Kathy Castor) are Democrats. I told her about this problem 2 years ago. Nothing got done.

If we did have a protest, it wouldn't be blocking traffic.

If you can organize the residents to agree , do the math, and see if as a group you can buy the complex. Do a professional business proposal and make an offer. All they can say is no or maybe yes.
These people are all old & poor. They wouldn't have the money to buy a car, let alone an apartment complex with 100 units.

It's called "the market". It has existed since the beginning of human interactions. You can't wish it away with legislation.
But you can VOTE it away, when legislators allow the market to have priority above human needs.

See if you qualify for Section 8 if you cannot find affordable housing or move to a cheaper city. The rest is just reality on the ground. It can be tough for seniors but the same sort of thing happens in college towns across america as well. I was absolutely shocked at how much off-campus housing was when I was in grad school for basically dumpier than dumpy dumps. It was about twice the rent of a single family house in my home town. Your choices were pay it, move way away and suffer the wintery commutes, or live in a trailer park. There wasn't much other options. 1 person I knew lived in a flea trap motel for a semester until he could put a group house together because it was cheaper than a one bedroom apartment.
I just saw a youtube video about how to get put high on the waiting list for Section 8.

Believe it or not if you check the box that you are a veteran, that puts you low on the list. If you check that you have been in prison, you go high in the list. So criminals get the royal treatment. Veterans get the shaft. Who the hell is running this thing ?

But you can VOTE it away, when legislators allow the market to have priority above human needs.

You know what happens when you vote away "the market"?

hv9H6WbE5TPQjbFMGRzj6jnvP8gmg_ipmDDxBfXStgQ.jpg

But ... there is always a silver lining... these guys will always have all they could ever want...

5543d1ae6da8116f2bf7f13e.jpg

Of course poor people have places to go ... anywhere but my neighborhood.
Poor people are good people. I have a friend who was homeless, and was panhandling in the WalMart parking lot. All his money came from poor people. Rich people never gave him a dime.

You know what happens when you vote away "the market"?

But ... there is always a silver lining... these guys will always have all they could ever want...
Yeah, I DO know what happens. Rents go up but only a little bit, and people who have lived in their apartment for 20 years, don't get tossed out.

Rich people get rich by not wasting their money on bad investments.
Giving a dollar to a needy panhandler is not bad investment. God will reward you. Neither is feeding homeless cats a bad investment. 24/7 non-toxic pest control and it makes you feel good.

They are short lived, and most people here don't even have a lease.
Well you are at the mercy of a landlord and have zero legal standing

Do you live in a shit hole. Sounds like a shit hole. don't know you and don't know your ideology

If you are a conserv, my sympathies. If a libturd, you deserve what you got, you voted for it........So which is it?

It's happening again. 2 years ago I and hundred of others in my apartment complex were forced out of our homes (apartments), when a new landlord bought the complex we were living in, and immediately raised our rents from $550/month to $900/month (for a 1 bedroom).

Now the complex I'm living in (which I came to, to escape from the previous one), has also been bought, and this new owner, like in the other complex, has also raised the rents very high. From $600/month to $850/mo.

There are certain things to take note of here. This is not a typical apartment complex. Although there is no age restriction, almost all the residents here are senior citizens, retired, and on LOW fixed incomes. Many do not own a car. Must are unable to move, and the housing market here (Tampa, FL) is such that there simply is no place to move to around here that is less than about $900/mo for 1 bdrm. Most residents are trapped here, and either cannot pay the new rent, or like myself, can just barely pay it, and still cover other necessities.

So one greed freak, ignoring the fact that the complex is much more than just HIS business, it is also the homes of hundreds of people, looks at this as nothing but a lucrative cash cow to manipulate, just for him.

So now we get to the real crux of all this. It comes down to what government is. Why it exists. It is here for the PROTECTION of the people. It is FOR the people. As much as l respect business ownership and private enterprise (I owned my own business for 12 years in the past), I recognize that business owners should not be be allowed to do ANYTHING. Rights of private property must have limits where the public would be excessively burdened to the point of some people becoming homeless.

As is the case with any business, owners cannot be allowed to do anything at all. Amusement park owners must comply with regulations that keep their roller coasters and other rides, safe. Builders must meet codes that restrict asbestos and other carcenogenic materials, and those that would allow buildings to collapse.

It should be noted that unlike musical instruments, fishing equipment, computers, and stuff that are not necessities, housing is among the group of things that people HAVE TO HAVE. That makes its position unique, relative to government Only food is as essential. And when there is no alternative, the public should be protected by business price gouging. Gasoline, food, housing, electricity, and other necessities do require SOME degree of regulation.

Let's hear what some people who are in this predicament have to say, not those who own homes and don't face danger of becoming homeless. THis is far more than just somebody's economic ideology, who has no personal housing worries. Th reason why this is in Health & Lifestyle is because the residents who are in serious peril, are the point of reference in this thread, not those involved in business investment.
Sounds like people who would have trouble getting a voter id and going to the polling places. I thought such people were just too dumb and lazy.

One possibility. I would wish anyone wanting to do this the best of luck and offer whatever support I could.
First thing one should do is check the tax history of a property before renting. If they are really behind on real estate taxes, stay away

Then do a civil court check on landlord if possible. If they have a number of civil suits past and present, get away

These 2 strategies can help you avoid shitty landlords

I just saw a youtube video about how to get put high on the waiting list for Section 8.

Believe it or not if you check the box that you are a veteran, that puts you low on the list. If you check that you have been in prison, you go high in the list. So criminals get the royal treatment. Veterans get the shaft. Who the hell is running this thing ?

It is possibly related to some veterans having other forms of housing assistance through the VA/HUD. I don't know the ins and outs of Section 8 other than that it exists and that people pay on a sliding scale based on their income/number of dependents. My old boss had a bunch of rental units in the Section 8 program. It seemed like with his tenants, the ones with the least amount to pay out of pocket were the ones that would never pay their token rent until the day he took them to court to evict them. The ones with the higher out of pockets tended to pay on time in full.

Forum List

Back