'It's about time' says Wes Studi: the first Native American man to win an Oscar

I believe the vast majority of Oscar winners were native Americans. Born and lived in America. Native Americans. Like me.
I agree.
Our family has been here about 5 generations. I am an American period, no hyphen needed as I know nothing of my Polish ancestors or language and customs.

Hyphens are necessary to claim victim status.

David Lynch got one at the same ceremony. What causes his to be a "make-up award"?
Lynch has been nominated for best director three times and once for best screen play. Wes Studi has precisely no
previous Oscar nominations.

I think implying equivalency between Lynch and Studi is absurd.

Actor and producer Wes Studi received a standing ovation last night in Hollywood, as he made history by accepting his first Oscar award.

The Dances With Wolves star became the first indigenous Native American actor to receive an Academy Award, as he was feted with an honorary gold statuette at the annual Governors Awards in LA.

Studi, 71, was one of four film veterans celebrated on the night, alongside David Lynch. Geena Davis and Lina Wertmuller, for their contributions to cinema.

The Last Of The Mohicans actor also made sure to pay tribute to his heritage on the night, noting that Native Americans have been under-represented in Hollywood.

"I'd simply like to say, it’s about time," Studi said on stage to rapturous applause. "It's been a wild and wonderful ride, and I'm really proud to be here tonight as the first indigenous Native American to receive an Academy Award. It's a humbling honour to receive an award for something I love to do."

The actor, who served in the US Army in Vietnam before turning to cinema, is also known for his roles in Geronimo: An American Legend, The New World and Avatar, in which he voiced the chieftain of a Na'vi tribe.

Way overdue. Congratulations Wes. You earned it.

'It's about time' says Wes Studi: the first Native American man to win an Oscar

He's a great actor.

Wanna see some major eye candy?

Martin Sensmeier is more than a model, he is an advocate for some wonderful causes, an entertainer and an amazing individual in general. Martin Sensmeier is from the Tlingit and Koyukon-Athabascan tribes of Alaska. He was raised in a Tlingit Coastal Community in Southeast Alaska and grew up learning and participating in the traditions of his people, while carrying on the subsistence lifestyle that has been sustained for thousands of years.

61ed0d5889c80fe560c81eb889f767a8.png

oh my goodness. Oh my. YUM!

Wanna see some major eye candy?

Martin Sensmeier is more than a model, he is an advocate for some wonderful causes, an entertainer and an amazing individual in general. Martin Sensmeier is from the Tlingit and Koyukon-Athabascan tribes of Alaska. He was raised in a Tlingit Coastal Community in Southeast Alaska and grew up learning and participating in the traditions of his people, while carrying on the subsistence lifestyle that has been sustained for thousands of years.

61ed0d5889c80fe560c81eb889f767a8.png

oh my goodness. Oh my. YUM!
Is that Cher?

I believe the vast majority of Oscar winners were native Americans. Born and lived in America. Native Americans. Like me.
You do know there is a difference between Native American and Indigenous Native American, right?
Apparently you don’t.

I am an Indigenous Native American, dumbass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about that Levi guy eh?

An honorary statuette not received for achievement in any particular field of motion picture making?
Seems like the participation awards a child gets for merely playing in a dodgeball game, or something. Not so special is it.

With a participation award, everybody gets one. Honorary Oscars? Not so much. There have been about 100 awarded in 90 years. No need to pretend they grow on trees. Wes Studi didn't spit on it.
Okay, perhaps it should be called a SJO (Social Justice Oscar).

An honorary statuette not received for achievement in any particular field of motion picture making?
Seems like the participation awards a child gets for merely playing in a dodgeball game, or something. Not so special is it.

With a participation award, everybody gets one. Honorary Oscars? Not so much. There have been about 100 awarded in 90 years. No need to pretend they grow on trees. Wes Studi didn't spit on it.

And no one really understands why some people get them and others do not. 100% subjective bullshit, hence the ratings have been down every year. You're welcome, Julio.

And no one really understands why some people get them and others do not. 100% subjective bullshit, hence the ratings have been down every year. You're welcome, Julio.

Sure, some people understand, just not you. Enjoy your grapes.

Sure, some people understand, just not you. Enjoy your grapes.
Who understands? I actually Don’t care. I dont need a so called expert to tell me if a movie is good. You may, Jose.

Forum List

Back