'It's about time' says Wes Studi: the first Native American man to win an Oscar

Hellbilly

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 2016
Multi-Dimensional Warrior
Actor and producer Wes Studi received a standing ovation last night in Hollywood, as he made history by accepting his first Oscar award.

The Dances With Wolves star became the first indigenous Native American actor to receive an Academy Award, as he was feted with an honorary gold statuette at the annual Governors Awards in LA.

Studi, 71, was one of four film veterans celebrated on the night, alongside David Lynch. Geena Davis and Lina Wertmuller, for their contributions to cinema.

The Last Of The Mohicans actor also made sure to pay tribute to his heritage on the night, noting that Native Americans have been under-represented in Hollywood.

"I'd simply like to say, it’s about time," Studi said on stage to rapturous applause. "It's been a wild and wonderful ride, and I'm really proud to be here tonight as the first indigenous Native American to receive an Academy Award. It's a humbling honour to receive an award for something I love to do."

The actor, who served in the US Army in Vietnam before turning to cinema, is also known for his roles in Geronimo: An American Legend, The New World and Avatar, in which he voiced the chieftain of a Na'vi tribe.

Way overdue. Congratulations Wes. You earned it.

Attachments

• US-ACADEMY-OF-MOTION-PICTURE-ARTS-AND-SCIENCES-11TH-ANNUAL-GOVE.jpg
    US-ACADEMY-OF-MOTION-PICTURE-ARTS-AND-SCIENCES-11TH-ANNUAL-GOVE.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 36
An honorary statuette not received for achievement in any particular field of motion picture making?
Seems like the participation awards a child gets for merely playing in a dodgeball game, or something. Not so special is it.

Ehhhh an honorary Oscar. Why couldn't it have been for an outstanding performance? Give the guy some decent roles. Then give him an Oscar. This one fairly screams "this is to make up for the Oscar you should have received for Last of the Mohicans".

Actor and producer Wes Studi received a standing ovation last night in Hollywood, as he made history by accepting his first Oscar award.

The Dances With Wolves star became the first indigenous Native American actor to receive an Academy Award, as he was feted with an honorary gold statuette at the annual Governors Awards in LA.

Studi, 71, was one of four film veterans celebrated on the night, alongside David Lynch. Geena Davis and Lina Wertmuller, for their contributions to cinema.

The Last Of The Mohicans actor also made sure to pay tribute to his heritage on the night, noting that Native Americans have been under-represented in Hollywood.

"I'd simply like to say, it’s about time," Studi said on stage to rapturous applause. "It's been a wild and wonderful ride, and I'm really proud to be here tonight as the first indigenous Native American to receive an Academy Award. It's a humbling honour to receive an award for something I love to do."

The actor, who served in the US Army in Vietnam before turning to cinema, is also known for his roles in Geronimo: An American Legend, The New World and Avatar, in which he voiced the chieftain of a Na'vi tribe.

upload_2019-12-18_10-6-39.jpeg

An honorary statuette not received for achievement in any particular field of motion picture making?
Seems like the participation awards a child gets for merely playing in a dodgeball game, or something. Not so special is it.

With a participation award, everybody gets one. Honorary Oscars? Not so much. There have been about 100 awarded in 90 years. No need to pretend they grow on trees. Wes Studi didn't spit on it.

With a participation award, everybody gets one.
It's a conceptual comment. Not a literal one. The award is not for any single recognized performance. So he's getting a make up award presumably because he's a Native American.

Honorary Oscars? Not so much. There have been about 100 awarded in 90 years. No need to pretend they grow on trees. Wes Studi didn't spit on it.
It is precisely an honorary award not given for any specific performance.

What is it with some people that they have to demean somebody and knock them down? This appears to be the result of some psychological flaw. Why can't you just be happy that he receives some recognition?

With a participation award, everybody gets one.
It's a conceptual comment. Not a literal one. The award is not for any single recognized performance. So he's getting a make up award presumably because he's a Native American.

Honorary Oscars? Not so much. There have been about 100 awarded in 90 years. No need to pretend they grow on trees. Wes Studi didn't spit on it.
It is precisely an honorary award not given for any specific performance.

David Lynch got one at the same ceremony. What causes his to be a "make-up award"?

What is it with some people that they have to demean somebody and knock them down? This appears to be the result of some psychological flaw. Why can't you just be happy that he receives some recognition?
People find it annoying when you give someone an award, merely for being an indian. Also, the OP said it was long overdue. Is it? I dont recall seeing an amazing indian actor ever. Certainly not one who beat out all the other actors that year.

He’s a good actor

His Last of the Mohicans role was excellent

People find it annoying when you give someone an award, merely for being an indian. Also, the OP said it was long overdue. Is it? I dont recall seeing an amazing indian actor ever. Certainly not one who beat out all the other actors that year.

I doubt that this award was given him "merely for being an indian."

I doubt that this award was given him "merely for being an indian."
If he wasnt an indian, he wouldnt have received the award.

He’s a good actor

His Last of the Mohicans role was excellent
That's where he should have gotten an Oscar.

Chief Dan George (especially in Little Big Man), Graham Green, Will Sampson, Adam Beach, Tantoo Cardinal.

Forum List

Back