Italy Convicts "US Agents"

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Italy convicts 'U.S. agents' in CIA kidnap trial - CNN.com

ROME, Italy (CNN) -- Two dozen Americans -- most thought to work for the CIA -- were sentenced to five years in prison Wednesday by an Italian court for their role in the seizing of a suspected terrorist off the streets of Milan in 2003, Italian media reported.
They did not appear for trial and are not in custody, but the ruling could effectively make them international fugitives.
The trial was the first to deal with a practice that human rights groups call "extraordinary rendition," and they say the United States has often sent suspects to countries that practice torture.
Washington acknowledges making secret "rendition" transfers of terrorism suspects between countries but denies using torture or handing suspects over to countries that do.
The case centered on the extraordinary rendition of a Muslim cleric, Osama Mustafa Hassan Nasr, or Abu Omar. <more>

ROME, Italy (CNN) -- Two dozen Americans -- most thought to work for the CIA -- were sentenced to five years in prison Wednesday by an Italian court for their role in the seizing of a suspected terrorist off the streets of Milan in 2003, Italian media reported.
They did not appear for trial and are not in custody, but the ruling could effectively make them international fugitives.
The trial was the first to deal with a practice that human rights groups call "extraordinary rendition," and they say the United States has often sent suspects to countries that practice torture.
Washington acknowledges making secret "rendition" transfers of terrorism suspects between countries but denies using torture or handing suspects over to countries that do.
The case centered on the extraordinary rendition of a Muslim cleric, Osama Mustafa Hassan Nasr, or Abu Omar. <more>

As much as I don't agree with it I have to admit that it is their country and if they decide to convict people for abducting their citizens then that is their right. On the other hand, it is our right to revoke any special privalages that italian citizens get in this country and I think we should start revoking them immediatly.

Wonder what the Italians would do if they had a 9-11? Personally I don't care what the CIA does to keep up safe. For my money they can kill all terrorists on site. After all, the terrorists would kill any Americans or if they could, we would have another 9-11.

Italy and the rest of Europe can kiss my ass. The only time they want to see America is when they need money or they need someone to shed blood for them. Europe, with a few exceptions, will do nothing to fight terrorism unless it lands in their back yard. They depend on the good ol U.S. of A to do the fighting for them. The next time somebody goosesteps across Europe, they can handle it themselves.

Our so called Allies will do nothing unless we lead the way. Unless we provide the manpower, blood and lets not forget the money.

Wonder what the Italians would do if they had a 9-11? Personally I don't care what the CIA does to keep up safe. For my money they can kill all terrorists on site. After all, the terrorists would kill any Americans or if they could, we would have another 9-11.

Italy and the rest of Europe can kiss my ass. The only time they want to see America is when they need money or they need someone to shed blood for them. Europe, with a few exceptions, will do nothing to fight terrorism unless it lands in their back yard. They depend on the good ol U.S. of A to do the fighting for them. The next time somebody goosesteps across Europe, they can handle it themselves.

Our so called Allies will do nothing unless we lead the way. Unless we provide the manpower, blood and lets not forget the money.

I agree with this. We should have a kill and depart policy where agents kill and then depart the country to avoid prosecutions.

Im sure our brave agents are trembling at the thought

Did they break Italian Law inside the Italian Government's Jurisdiction?

If they did, Italy is entirely within their rights to arrest and prosecute. It isn't a matter of liking Italy's decision, its a matter of Italian Sovreignty.

Did they break Italian Law inside the Italian Government's Jurisdiction?

If they did, Italy is entirely within their rights to arrest and prosecute. It isn't a matter of liking Italy's decision, its a matter of Italian Sovreignty.

Yes. Nor would I want say Russian agents snatching up people on American streets and shipping them off regardless of their cause.

The CIA violated Italian law, and we are better of as humankind when we operate by rule of law rather than rule of man.

We need to remember that rendition occured under the Clinton administration as well.

The CIA violated Italian law, and we are better of as humankind when we operate by rule of law rather than rule of man.

We need to remember that rendition occured under the Clinton administration as well.

Meanwhile, back in the real world.......

He's got a point. Rendition opens up a huge can of worms. Will you be ok with the idea of the Russians abducting off the streets Americans they think are co-conspirators with the Georgian resistance movement? How about Chinese abducting students that are taking part in pro-democracy movements? Iranians abducting Christians that support missionaries to Islamic countries?

Once you open that door, a lot of really bad stuff can come through it.

He's got a point. Rendition opens up a huge can of worms. Will you be ok with the idea of the Russians abducting off the streets Americans they think are co-conspirators with the Georgian resistance movement? How about Chinese abducting students that are taking part in pro-democracy movements? Iranians abducting Christians that support missionaries to Islamic countries?

The world is never black and white. Simplistic statements are naive - which is no more than I expect from Joke.

The world is never black and white. Simplistic statements are naive - which is no more than I expect from Joke.

Of course things are never completely clear cut, and there will be times when Rendition is the best option on the table. For example, if Osama Bin Ladin sticks up his head in England, we're going to go get him. No waiting. No negotiating.

It is true that actions have consequences. If you're part of a Rendition team and you're caught, then you're probably going to be left to hang in the wind. You broke the local law, and as such you're subject to their legal system. Not only that, but resorting to Rendition destroys any grounds by which you can criticize other countries for the same act.

That's the really bad door you're opening when you pursue Rendition.

OHHHH nosies!

This means that the "defendants" (except those who got the benefit of Diplomatic Immunity, of course) are technically fugitives from justice and wanted "men" subject to immediate arrest if found in Italy.

Bwahahahahahaha!

I wonder if the Italian "authorities" are up to trying to get an Interpol Warrant?

:lol: Fuck the Italian "Justice" system.

Hey, Italy! I fart in your general direction!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

good for italy,

same should be done by german, macedonian, and US authorities in the el masri case.

Bullshit.

Fuck Italy.

It's a silly petty little meaningless show, for the rubes, they just put on.

We all know it; probably even the Italian citizens for whom the "justice system" there just tried to put on the show!

good for italy,

same should be done by german, macedonian, and US authorities in the el masri case.

Bullshit.

Fuck Italy.

It's a silly petty little meaningless show, for the rubes, they just put on.

We all know it; probably even the Italian citizens for whom the "justice system" there just tried to put on the show!

two italians were sentenced to three years in jail, too.

and the other fucks will hopefully never set foot on italy again.

and some other fucks will hopefully think twice before kidnapping some "terrorist looking guys off the streets".

zero empathy, full of fear and rage, double standard fuckers.

american exceptionalism.

guys like you will only wake up when someone you know gets this treatment.
then it will be horrible.

this is where the niemöller quote applies, fascists!

Wow.

I hope it doesn't

Nor do I ... itj ust pisses me off that these countries hide behind us, and make no mistake, they DO. They know that if the shit hits the fan... we'll be there. Then the question the way we try to protect them.

Just pisses me off.

It's kinda like a wife living the good life, country clubs etc. then bitching that her husband who pulls in $300,000 a year works a lot.

Forum List

Back