Italy Convicts "US Agents"

american exceptionalism

Another American hating shit-for-brains who probably contributes nothing chimes in about how bad we are while sucking up the good life with little effort.

He's got a point. Rendition opens up a huge can of worms. Will you be ok with the idea of the Russians abducting off the streets Americans they think are co-conspirators with the Georgian resistance movement? How about Chinese abducting students that are taking part in pro-democracy movements? Iranians abducting Christians that support missionaries to Islamic countries?

Once you open that door, a lot of really bad stuff can come through it.

how do you know this has never happened?.....

As much as I don't agree with it I have to admit that it is their country and if they decide to convict people for abducting their citizens then that is their right. On the other hand, it is our right to revoke any special privalages that italian citizens get in this country and I think we should start revoking them immediatly.
You actually think that we should punish countries that get huffy when our agents kidnap people from that country?

You actually think that the US should be able to abduct anyone they want to from any foreign state without their permission?

Dick Cheney, is that you?

Doug

The case centered on the extraordinary rendition of a Muslim cleric, Osama Mustafa Hassan Nasr, or Abu Omar. <more>

Did they break Italian Law inside the Italian Government's Jurisdiction?

If they did, Italy is entirely within their rights to arrest and prosecute. It isn't a matter of liking Italy's decision, its a matter of Italian Sovreignty.
Absolutely. And I hope the employees skipped the country.

This may be a matter of degree.

Clinton started the practice of rendition to go after known terrorists belonging to al Qaeda. I haven't heard about more than a handful of people and and I haven't heard about complaints from other governments.

Bush on the other hand, just like everything else he screwed up just went ape-sh*t.

Without going and looking it up, last I heard they Bush administration was responsible for snatching more than 3,000 people.

Republicans say, "Well, you gotta break a few eggs". They can't understand why you shouldn't go around the world just snatching up and torturing anyone they feel like. This is America. We believe in freedom and we will arrest anyone who doesn't agree. Remember, we have God on our side. Not like those right wing extremist religious Islamofascists.

Ex-Terror Detainee Says U.S. Tortured Him - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Kurnaz wasn&#8217;t particularly religious growing up, but in 2001 he was marrying a Turkish girl who was. And he decided to learn more about Islam.

"I didn't know how to pray. I didn't know anything," Kurnaz says. "So I had to study more about Islam so I could go to the mosque and pray."

In Bremen, he met Islamic missionaries who urged him to go to Pakistan for study. As he was planning the trip, 9/11 happened. He told 60 Minutes he was horrified by the attacks, and had never heard of al Qaeda. He decided to go ahead with his trip anyway.
---------
Kurnaz says that he was told that U.S. intelligence paid $3,000 for him. He ended up bound and shackled on an American military plane.

"I was sure soon as they would find out I'm not a terrorist, they will apologize for it and let me go back home," he says.

But the plane flew him out of Pakistan and to a U.S. base in Kandahar, Afghanistan, where he was mixed with prisoners fresh off the battlefield. His new identity was "number 53." He was kept in an outdoor pen, in sub-freezing weather and interrogated daily.

Last edited by a moderator:
So anyone working for the US should just be completely immune from the laws of the sovereign countries they're in and ignore international law?

Anyone opposing this is little more than a jingoistic idiot with no consideration of the greater impact of legalizing kidnapping and doing away with a justice system as "extraordinary" rendition does.

Bbbbbut why do they hate us?

they hated us back in 75 too.....any other revelations?

Annoying, isn't it? Americans who are too fucking stupid to realize that we didn't actually bring this on ourselves. Certain countries, certain cultures will always hate us because of our freedoms, not because we're an evil nation. Maybe we should teach our kids the truth instead of filling their heads with shit about how bad our nation is.

Fucking liberal school system.

Bbbbbut why do they hate us?

they hated us back in 75 too.....any other revelations?

Annoying, isn't it? Americans who are too fucking stupid to realize that we didn't actually bring this on ourselves. Certain countries, certain cultures will always hate us because of our freedoms, not because we're an evil nation. Maybe we should teach our kids the truth instead of filling their heads with shit about how bad our nation is.

Fucking liberal school system.

Indeed.....and all one has to do is look at some of the liberals on this board to see what the end product of NEA.org is.....dumbed down buffoons who fall for just about any government con....i.e. "We can have government healthcare...it will be deficit neutral!!".

So anyone working for the US should just be completely immune from the laws of the sovereign countries they're in and ignore international law?

Anyone opposing this is little more than a jingoistic idiot with no consideration of the greater impact of legalizing kidnapping and doing away with a justice system as "extraordinary" rendition does.

I detect a little bit of hypocracy in this because I can't see how you can claim that Italy has soveriegn rights but US states do not.

I detect a little bit of hypocracy in this because I can't see how you can claim that Italy has soveriegn rights but US states do not.

What are you talking about? No. How am I claiming the US doesn't have sovereign rights? I'm not. If Italians came into our country to arrest a Michigan militiamen and flew him off to Turkey to be tortured, the American justice system would have every right to prosecute them.

A foreign country's courts prosecuting people for committing crimes in their country that violate their federal and local laws as well as international law preserves their own sovereignty and rule of law, it doesn't violate the sovereignty of the defendant's native country in any way.

Last edited:
Wonder what the Italians would do if they had a 9-11? Personally I don't care what the CIA does to keep up safe. For my money they can kill all terrorists on site. After all, the terrorists would kill any Americans or if they could, we would have another 9-11.

Italy and the rest of Europe can kiss my ass. The only time they want to see America is when they need money or they need someone to shed blood for them. Europe, with a few exceptions, will do nothing to fight terrorism unless it lands in their back yard. They depend on the good ol U.S. of A to do the fighting for them. The next time somebody goosesteps across Europe, they can handle it themselves.

Our so called Allies will do nothing unless we lead the way. Unless we provide the manpower, blood and lets not forget the money.

I'm glad Italy did it but also embarrassed we are such hypocrites other nations have to hold our people accountable. The above attitude is exactly why some hate America. We're so damn arrogant we believe we are the only ones who have the right to kidnap innocent people and invade nations to occupy them. If someone doesn't care what the cia does then they have absolutely no room to criticize any other nation. When we let fear dictate our principles we effectively remove any room for any honorable ones.

Wonder what the Italians would do if they had a 9-11? Personally I don't care what the CIA does to keep up safe. For my money they can kill all terrorists on site. After all, the terrorists would kill any Americans or if they could, we would have another 9-11.

Italy and the rest of Europe can kiss my ass. The only time they want to see America is when they need money or they need someone to shed blood for them. Europe, with a few exceptions, will do nothing to fight terrorism unless it lands in their back yard. They depend on the good ol U.S. of A to do the fighting for them. The next time somebody goosesteps across Europe, they can handle it themselves.

Our so called Allies will do nothing unless we lead the way. Unless we provide the manpower, blood and lets not forget the money.

I'm glad Italy did it but also embarrassed we are such hypocrites other nations have to hold our people accountable. The above attitude is exactly why some hate America. We're so damn arrogant we believe we are the only ones who have the right to kidnap innocent people and invade nations to occupy them. If someone doesn't care what the cia does then they have absolutely no room to criticize any other nation. When we let fear dictate our principles we effectively remove any room for any honorable ones.
And what would you have the USA do in a jurisdiction that is not the USA's?

Italy is capable of handling it.

Remember when Bush admitted to the world we run secr
et prisons in other nations? Can you imagine what would happen if the president of iran said the same thing?

Forum List

Back