Is math racist, or are liberals stupid? Is affirmative action helping or hurting minority performance? (Poll)

Is mathematics racist? (because there is only one right answer)

• NO. math is not racist, it never was and never will be.

Votes: 32 91.4%
  • YES. math is racist. Some low IQ races are just too stupid to get the right answer.

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
Math cannot be racist. Math is binary. Math is absolute.
You can literally hold a random object in front of a Democrat and that Democrat will tell you why that random object is racist.

Democrat taking ink blot test...

What do you see... racist
And now... white supremacist
and now... racism
And now... white nationalists
And now... oh wait, thats russian
Hasty generalizations, fallacious as they may be, can be funny.

Consider:

You can literally hold a random object in front of a Republican and that Republican will tell you why that random object is a communist.

To me both sides are hypocritical but I was a racist because I owned a couple Hawaiian shirts. I’m communist because I like AOC, I don’t agree with her however I like her passion for her beliefs. So I am both.

Can you tell me why math is considered racist? That makes no sense.
Makes no sense to me. I'll take a guess that someone described a difference between races as regards math skills, and someone else labeled that as racist.
Isn’t believing one race is is superior to another racist?
Not if it's true of something specific, but your flirting with it when you indulge something as broad as superior (in a general sense). Call it what you want, but drawing a conclusion about someone or something specific on merit of a generalization is a logical fallacy (hasty generalization).

You can literally hold a random object in front of a Democrat and that Democrat will tell you why that random object is racist.

Democrat taking ink blot test...

What do you see... racist
And now... white supremacist
and now... racism
And now... white nationalists
And now... oh wait, thats russian
Hasty generalizations, fallacious as they may be, can be funny.

Consider:

You can literally hold a random object in front of a Republican and that Republican will tell you why that random object is a communist.
Except your example is stupid and mine holds. I've seen everything from black holes to rocking chairs be declared racist. Nothing communist about math.
No, fallacious is fallacious; both examples are stupid.

As is everything you post.
That's it; that's all you have? Thanks for the laugh.

Math can be racist because math is absolute.
In the real world, nothing is all that absolute.
People in the real world do not normally do well at standardized testing.
You have to be specifically trained how to do well in standardized testing.
So it is very racist to go by standardized test scores or grades alone.

Why this denigration of education by some (some!) African American youth, I do not know.

People who believe people of all races are capable of excellence are not racist.
People who believe non-Whites need all the help they can get are racist.

Standardized testing and grades are not excellence, and they are not a good measure of anything really.

Nope. You are just an idiot.

I often agree with you or at least see your point, but you are wrong on this.
Math is not real world and most people do not have an inherent feel for it because there are lots of implied tricks and real world situations never translate well into ideal math solutions.

For example, in theory, 11 + 9 = 20.
But in the real world, you only get 18 because one was stolen and another was too warn out to use.

It is well known that standardized testing and grades are very relative to backgrounds instead of actual ability.
I was in a white accelerated class, and they taught us how to double our standardized test scores.
It is not hard.
For example, you don't waste any time on hard question and just mark them so you can come back to them after you are done.
Then you throw out the 2 most absurd answers, and flip a coin on the 2 remaining. That ensures at least a score of 75%, without really knowing anything.

Math can be racist because math is absolute.
In the real world, nothing is all that absolute.
People in the real world do not normally do well at standardized testing.
You have to be specifically trained how to do well in standardized testing.
So it is very racist to go by standardized test scores or grades alone.
Nope. Its racist not do do standardized testing. By definition math requires correct answers, as do all college subjects. Testing is the only metric to ensure competence.

Why did you resurrect a 1-year old thread??

Standardized testing and grades are not excellence, and they are not a good measure of anything really.
Yes they are. To say otherwise is stupid.
College is all about learning material and being tested on it for grades.
Dumb answers won't work anywhere.

Affirmative action hurts blacks because they are held to a lower standard.

It hurts all other skin colors, especially white and black, because affirmative action is in itself racist and discriminatiory against anyone not black.

And it also says "ok blacks you aren't as good as Asians and whites so we're going to force people to let you get a job or into college because you can't do it yourself".

It isn't 1927 anymore. We have black doctors, lawyers, fire chiefs, teachers and even a black president. They have no excuse anymore. So fuck em. They want to be treated equal then it's time we treat them as equals.

Nope. Its racist not do do standardized testing. By definition math requires correct answers, as do all college subjects. Testing is the only metric to ensure competence.

Why did you resurrect a 1-year old thread??

Wrong.
Standardized testing does not have the subtlety to actually measure understanding.
Standardized testing requires absolutes and real life does not.
Nor are all people on an equal footing as far as standardized testing.
You can easily be taught to greatly improve standardized testing scores, without actually knowing more or being smarter.
I have found that a verbal discussion of real world practical problems is a much better metric.
I was replying to an just arrived email, so it must be a system glitch.

Yes they are. To say otherwise is stupid.
College is all about learning material and being tested on it for grades.
Dumb answers won't work anywhere.

Which is why most college graduates know nothing.
Memorizing is not at all useful in the real world.
In the real world you can look up anything you did not remember, but you need to be able to make rational conclusions from a wide range of input that is not binary or mathematical.

Here is an example.
On my second computer job, they asked me to create a display list algorithm, that could draw line objects.
They wanted primitives like rectangles, squares, circles, ellipses, polylines, etc. that then could be printed out as well as seen on the computer screen.
I had to point out you can not use rectangles, squares, circles, ellipses because they change aspect ratio between screen and printer, so won't work.
Instead, you have to use Bezier curves and polylines only.
Their 4.0 grades had not prepared them for the real world, at all.

And it is getting worse.
They are not teaching real programming any more even, but instead are only teaching Python, a mere scripting language.
No one can write any operating system, device driver, fast game, or anything commercial in Python really.
Schools are becoming irrelevant.

If you can't grasp math then it becomes racist
Are you good at math?
3rd Grade level?
Middle School Level?
High School, Algebra II or Pre Calculus?
College Level?

How good are you at math?
Or is math racist to you?

There can be a quiz!
You up to it?

Wrong.
Standardized testing does not have the subtlety to actually measure understanding.
Standardized testing requires absolutes and real life does not.
Nor are all people on an equal footing as far as standardized testing.
You can easily be taught to greatly improve standardized testing scores, without actually knowing more or being smarter.
I have found that a verbal discussion of real world practical problems is a much better metric.
I was replying to an just arrived email, so it must be a system glitch.
Non-standardized tests, or just using grades shows nothing. Many schools or teachers have differing grade scales. Standardized tests level the playing field.
A verbal discussion shows nothing. It shows less than nothing. Its stupid to even suggest that.

Which is why most college graduates know nothing.
Memorizing is not at all useful in the real world.
In the real world you can look up anything you did not remember, but you need to be able to make rational conclusions from a wide range of input that is not binary or mathematical.

Here is an example.
On my second computer job, they asked me to create a display list algorithm, that could draw line objects.
They wanted primitives like rectangles, squares, circles, ellipses, polylines, etc. that then could be printed out as well as seen on the computer screen.
I had to point out you can not use rectangles, squares, circles, ellipses because they change aspect ratio between screen and printer, so won't work.
Instead, you have to use Bezier curves and polylines only.
Their 4.0 grades had not prepared them for the real world, at all.

And it is getting worse.
They are not teaching real programming any more even, but instead are only teaching Python, a mere scripting language.
No one can write any operating system, device driver, fast game, or anything commercial in Python really.
Schools are becoming irrelevant.
Sounds to me like too many Art-History majors in management.

I'm a retired engineer and a Fortran programmer (dinasaur class).

So you basically proved that you need to know math to do technical jobs, wrong answers will get you fired.

Are you good at math?
3rd Grade level?
Middle School Level?
High School, Algebra II or Pre Calculus?
College Level?

How good are you at math?
Or is math racist to you?

There can be a quiz!
You up to it?

I did well on all the math classes, including calculus and beyond.
But few in the classes who got good grades really understood anything.
They did not understand that when you take equations for position, the change over time or the derivative of that is the velocity, and the derivative of that changing over time is the acceleration.
There were people getting straight A's who would try to do things like take the derivative of time over time, which obviously makes no sense. But to a math major, things do not have to make sense.

High test scores and good grades does not at all mean knowledge.

Non-standardized tests, or just using grades shows nothing. Many schools or teachers have differing grade scales. Standardized tests level the playing field.
A verbal discussion shows nothing. It shows less than nothing. Its stupid to even suggest that.

Oh, so you think Plato was an idiot?
You need to go back to school.

Let's use fair versus unfair to describe this Math Problem on a Standardized Test.
Not using racist, just fair or unfair to ANY reader of the problem.

Jimmy goes golfing and shots one under par on hole one, and 3 over par on the next hole. How much is Jimmy trailing or leading another player that has a score of -4.

As soon as they started making excuses performance dropped. Bad math is not the answer.
Making excuses for poor performance in school is not the answer.
Better teachers and requiring school work is the answer, not excuses.

Liberals believe that scientific and mathematical talent are distributed unequally among the races, with Asians being well-endowed in those areas, and blacks below average. Therefore, it is appropriate to discriminate against Asians and to lower standards for blacks-e.g., by pretending that it is unimportant to get the right answer to a math problem.

[Steele] points to affirmative action and diversity — "the whole movement designed to compensate for the fact that blacks were behind" — and says that blacks today have worse indices relative to whites in education, income levels, marriage and divorce, or "any socioeconomic measure that you want to look at" than they did 60 years ago.

"It's inconceivable," says Mr. Steele, "that blacks are competitive in universities today." In the 1950s, by contrast, they matriculated with slightly lower grade-point averages than whites and graduated with GPAs slightly higher than whites. "Nobody gave them anything," Mr. Steele affirms. "They didn't want them in universities then. We would never put our race on an application, because it would be used against us. The minute we started to get all these handouts from guilty America in the civil-rights era, we entered this uninterrupted decline."
Be prepare to read responses of so much made up sht since the last conservative white supremest post.

Sounds to me like too many Art-History majors in management.

I'm a retired engineer and a Fortran programmer (dinasaur class).

So you basically proved that you need to know math to do technical jobs, wrong answers will get you fired.

I have needed to know math, but I also needed to know psychology in order to avoid bad management.
But my point is that those who actually did best in the real world were not those with the best grades or standardized test scores.

I also started with Fortran and even Cobol.
But all programming languages really boil down to input/output, arithmetic statements, branching, looping, memory allocation, and modularity.

Oh, so you think Plato was an idiot?
You need to go back to school.
Plato? Aristotle? I've read them.
Knowledge now doubles every 12-hours.
Epistemology advanced more than a little since they were considered smart.
If you think Plato is still relevant you had too much schooling.

Forum List

Back