Affirmative action doesn’t just hurt whites, it backfires on blacks

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
This article opens with a description of Fisher v Texas, a white girl who claims she was unfairly rejected due to her race since blacks with lower grades and scores were accepted. (The article was written prior to the decision. The SCOTUS, more liberal at that time, ultimately ruled that racial preferences favoring blacks were OK.)

This article describes the negative consequences when you have a “mismatch” between cohorts, the more academically superior whites (and lately, Asians), and the less academically accomplished blacks. (Note: I’ve said before that 1 out of 3 blacks met the “white” standard, but the majority of blacks would not qualify if their race hadn’t given them preference.) The article goes on to discuss other negative consequences.

Now, really, would it be so horrible if blacks who wouldn’t otherwise qualify for Harvard end up at Duke or Northwestern? Or if not good enough for those, what’s wrong with Villanova or Emory? This is what smart but not the top have been doing for decades.

It‘s past time that blacks be admitted to schools for which they qualify (without the racial preference) and be among their students with similar academic accomplishments. It’s better for the whites displaced by AA, and it’s better for the blacks manipulated in via lower standards.

Please let’s discuss without the usual “you’re raaaaacist”” accusations.

Most Americans have benefitted from Affirmative Action
Just not White Males

Prior to Affirmative Action……Women, blacks, Hispanics, minorities , the handicapped all were restricted as to the jobs they were offered to perform.

We are a better country because of Affirmative Action

Just not White Males

Prior to Affirmative Action……Women, blacks, Hispanics, minorities , the handicapped all were restricted as to the jobs they were offered to perform.

What was your opinion about the negative consequences raised in the article?

What was your opinion about the negative consequences raised in the article?

My opinion is ….Cry me a river

Nobody complained when children of alumni, children of donors, athletes received preferential admission

But offer admission to minorities brings outrage

1654611006256.jpeg

My opinion is ….Cry me a river

Nobody complained when children of alumni, children of donors, athletes received preferential admission

But offer admission to minorities brings outrage
I see. You didn’t read the article or consider the negatives, to both blacks and whites, but just jumped to the usual liberal retort. Thanks for your “input” but no need for us to discuss further.

Just not White Males

I strongly disagree. Replacing favoritism towards one group with favoritism towards another just creates new problems. The best solution would have been to forbid discrimination entirely, which by the way, is exactly what the law did.

I strongly disagree. Replacing favoritism towards one group with favoritism towards another just creates new problems. The best solution would have been to forbid discrimination entirely, which by the way, is exactly what the law did.
Schools want a diverse student body. Not just the spawn of the elite who have been to the finest prep schools

They are private institutions who can decide which students to accept

Schools want a diverse student body. Not just the spawn of the elite who have been to the finest prep schools

They are private institutions who can decide which students to accept
It’s not just the spawn of the elite. Hard-working, bright white kids from middle class (and lower) with top grades and scores are losing spots to blacks with inferior grades and scores.

This article opens with a description of Fisher v Texas, a white girl who claims she was unfairly rejected due to her race since blacks with lower grades and scores were accepted. (The article was written prior to the decision. The SCOTUS, more liberal at that time, ultimately ruled that racial preferences favoring blacks were OK.)

This article describes the negative consequences when you have a “mismatch” between cohorts, the more academically superior whites (and lately, Asians), and the less academically accomplished blacks. (Note: I’ve said before that 1 out of 3 blacks met the “white” standard, but the majority of blacks would not qualify if their race hadn’t given them preference.) The article goes on to discuss other negative consequences.

Now, really, would it be so horrible if blacks who wouldn’t otherwise qualify for Harvard end up at Duke or Northwestern? Or if not good enough for those, what’s wrong with Villanova or Emory? This is what smart but not the top have been doing for decades.

It‘s past time that blacks be admitted to schools for which they qualify (without the racial preference) and be among their students with similar academic accomplishments. It’s better for the whites displaced by AA, and it’s better for the blacks manipulated in via lower standards.

It’s a very interesting article, but in my case, all it does is confirm the observations I have made in my life. I predict that if Maryiam, Paul and IM2 bother to read it, they will hate it and try to debunk it.

Well, con-sidering that white women use AA more than anyone else......................

It’s not just the spawn of the elite. Hard-working, bright white kids from middle class (and lower) with top grades and scores are losing spots to blacks with inferior grades and scores.

They are also losing slots to upper class students with connections to the admissions office or athletes whose academic credentials are lacking but they know how to sink a basket

But you only care about the negroes who get into college

It’s a very interesting article, but in my case, all it does is confirm the observations I have made in my life. I predict that if Maryiam, Paul and IM2 bother to read it, they will hate it and try to debunk it.
I’m sure.

And it makes so much sense. If the majority of blacks in the Ivy League got there because of their skin color, and would not have been admitted if they were white, then of course the school has created a “lesser” tier of students, and it would encourage more segregation between the cohorts, not integration.

The ones who pay are among the 33% of blacks who were admitted on merit, but professors would quickly recognize who’s who.

They are also losing slots to upper class students with connections to the admissions office or athletes whose academic credentials are lacking but they know how to sink a basket

But you only care about the negroes who get into college
You didn’t even bother to read the article and went right to the accusation of racism, so bye.

Well, con-sidering that white women use AA more than anyone else......................

When I was in High Schools in the early 70s, the females in my class aspired to be nurses, teachers, secretaries, beauticians or bank tellers.

Affirmative Action opened up all possibilities to women where no job is out of reach

Females in my class never would have aspired to be Astronauts

You didn’t even bother to read the article and went right to the accusation of racism, so bye.
I read it

Noticed it made no mention of those who get admitted by other means…….only minorities

Forum List

Back