Is Libertarianism a Solution for America’s Problems?

Most people see Libertarianism as a fringe ideology. Liberals see it as laissez-fair Capitalism gone amok. Conservatives see it as hedonistic and just one step away from godless anarchy.

But, what are the principles of Libertarianism that people seem to object to:

Individualism: Libertarians see the individual as the basic unit of social analysis. In principle, there are no groups that are responsible for actions or who have needs or rights beyond those of the individual. Libertarianism eschews identity politics.

Individual rights: Each individual has a right to be secure in their life, their liberty, and their property. These rights are granted by nature, not by government and the burden of explanation lies with anyone who proposed to interfere with those right.

Spontaneous Order: A certain amount of order in society if necessary for individuals to survive and prosper. Without order, anarchy leads to a state where the powerful will oppress the weak. However, order doesn’t have to be imposed from a central authority. Language, law, money, and markets all developed spontaneously, without the need for a central authority. Individual humans do not need to be led to achieve social cohesion. Social cohesion will assert when individuals are free to choose.

Rule of Law: As I stated before, Libertarians aren’t anarchists. In a Libertarian society, a person is free to pursue their own lives SO LONG as they respect the equal rights of others. Laws need to respect that principle, not be either arbitrary in nature, or used to create social conditioning.

Limited Government: To quote Lord Acton, “Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely”. Limiting both the size and scope of government into any area that doesn’t protect the rights of ALL citizens to liberty and for individuals to be secure in their life, their liberty, or their property should be un-Constitutional.

Free Markets: The most effective way to eliminate corruption in the marketplace is to remove the power that a government has to regulate that market. “When buying and selling are legislated, the first thing to be bought and sold will be legislators”. Preventing an individual from pursuing a business is just as evil as using a taxpayer’s money to shore up a failing business. Wealth can be spontaneously created by giving free reign to innovation and production. Only government can limit the creation of that wealth or use their power to divert that wealth towards others that didn’t participate in its production, but only were able to ingratiate themselves with the government.

Production is a Virtue: People who produce need to be secure to keep the fruits of their labor. No on has a right to the production of others. Thomas Paine wrote, “There are two distinct classes of men in the nation, those who pay taxes, and those who receive and live upon the taxes.” And Jefferson wrote, “We have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.”

Harmony of Interests: In a free society, the interests of most people don’t conflict. People will strive to achieve what they cannot obtain by other means. When we all seek to prosper by our own means, we mutually prosper. Adam Smith writes, “It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.

Peace: War does nothing to enhance the rights of the individual. War requires the sacrifice of the individual to enhance the interests of The State. Foreign interventionism, Imperialism by Force, or the idea of imposing a peace beyond our borders doesn’t belong in a Libertarian society.

So, which of those principles do people find so offensive? Which ones wouldn’t be beneficial to our society as a whole, and to the individuals who make up our society?
It's the open borders I don't like.

Most people see Libertarianism as a fringe ideology. Liberals see it as laissez-fair Capitalism gone amok. Conservatives see it as hedonistic and just one step away from godless anarchy.

But, what are the principles of Libertarianism that people seem to object to:

Individualism: Libertarians see the individual as the basic unit of social analysis. In principle, there are no groups that are responsible for actions or who have needs or rights beyond those of the individual. Libertarianism eschews identity politics.

Individual rights: Each individual has a right to be secure in their life, their liberty, and their property. These rights are granted by nature, not by government and the burden of explanation lies with anyone who proposed to interfere with those right.

Spontaneous Order: A certain amount of order in society if necessary for individuals to survive and prosper. Without order, anarchy leads to a state where the powerful will oppress the weak. However, order doesn’t have to be imposed from a central authority. Language, law, money, and markets all developed spontaneously, without the need for a central authority. Individual humans do not need to be led to achieve social cohesion. Social cohesion will assert when individuals are free to choose.

Rule of Law: As I stated before, Libertarians aren’t anarchists. In a Libertarian society, a person is free to pursue their own lives SO LONG as they respect the equal rights of others. Laws need to respect that principle, not be either arbitrary in nature, or used to create social conditioning.

Limited Government: To quote Lord Acton, “Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely”. Limiting both the size and scope of government into any area that doesn’t protect the rights of ALL citizens to liberty and for individuals to be secure in their life, their liberty, or their property should be un-Constitutional.

Free Markets: The most effective way to eliminate corruption in the marketplace is to remove the power that a government has to regulate that market. “When buying and selling are legislated, the first thing to be bought and sold will be legislators”. Preventing an individual from pursuing a business is just as evil as using a taxpayer’s money to shore up a failing business. Wealth can be spontaneously created by giving free reign to innovation and production. Only government can limit the creation of that wealth or use their power to divert that wealth towards others that didn’t participate in its production, but only were able to ingratiate themselves with the government.

Production is a Virtue: People who produce need to be secure to keep the fruits of their labor. No on has a right to the production of others. Thomas Paine wrote, “There are two distinct classes of men in the nation, those who pay taxes, and those who receive and live upon the taxes.” And Jefferson wrote, “We have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.”

Harmony of Interests: In a free society, the interests of most people don’t conflict. People will strive to achieve what they cannot obtain by other means. When we all seek to prosper by our own means, we mutually prosper. Adam Smith writes, “It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.

Peace: War does nothing to enhance the rights of the individual. War requires the sacrifice of the individual to enhance the interests of The State. Foreign interventionism, Imperialism by Force, or the idea of imposing a peace beyond our borders doesn’t belong in a Libertarian society.

So, which of those principles do people find so offensive? Which ones wouldn’t be beneficial to our society as a whole, and to the individuals who make up our society?
This isn’t ‘libertarianism.’

What’s perceived as ‘libertarianism’ doesn’t have a monopoly on individualism, individual rights, the rule of law, limited government, free markets, or peace.

Other political philosophies espouse the same tenants and principles.

That libertarians believe they have a ‘monopoly’ on individualism, individual rights, the rule of law, limited government, free markets, and peace is among the many things wrong with libertarianism.

This isn’t ‘libertarianism.’

What’s perceived as ‘libertarianism’ doesn’t have a monopoly on individualism, individual rights, the rule of law, limited government, free markets, or peace.

Of course it does. That's the definition of libertarianism.
Other political philosophies espouse the same tenants and principles.
Name one. Certainly not the communism you espouse.

That libertarians believe they have a ‘monopoly’ on individualism, individual rights, the rule of law, limited government, free markets, and peace is among the many things wrong with libertarianism.
You're an idiot who doesn't know what the word "freedom" means.

Of course it does. That's the definition of libertarianism.

Name one. Certainly not the communism you espouse.

You're an idiot who doesn't know what the word "freedom" means.
I bet he knows what inherent means you raving dipshit. 😄

It was a response to your dumbfuck response. What do you want me to say.?
You don't have anything to say Booty unless you want to disagree with basic historical facts. How much of a moron are you willing to make yourself look in a fruitless effort to troll me is the question you have to ask yourself. 😄

You don't have anything to say Booty unless you want to disagree with basic historical facts. How much of a moron are you willing to make yourself look in a fruitless effort to troll me is the question you have to ask yourself. 😄
What historical facts? Why don't you be specific and stop assuming everybody accepts your bullshit re-framed narrative?

Sure I do. However, you don't know what a right is. You believe it's where government gives you stuff.
See only one of us needs to create strawmen. I'm more than happy to sit and listen and laugh as you explain what rights are and how they existing inherently in humans, in your own words. 😄

What historical facts? Why don't you be specific and stop assuming everybody accepts your bullshit re-framed narrative?
Slavery and the violent removal of native Americans Booty. Those are historical facts. I don't have to frame them at all. In fact I haven't, I've only listed them as things that happened forcefully at gunpoint per your request. 😄

See only one of us needs to create strawmen. I'm more than happy to sit and listen and laugh as you explain what rights are and how they existing inherently in humans, in your own words. 😄
Rights are just the rules society needs to follow to allow humans to survive and thrive. Now give us your definition, asshole.

Where do these rules come from? And what are they?
I can go down this path, unravel the legal fictions, and show you why communism is a breach of the societal truce, meaning violence is the REAL rule of law, but will you get it?

All you'll do is end up proving all my points, included the FACT that we as individuals NEED machine guns, etc.

I can go down this path, unravel the legal fictions, and show you why communism is a breach of the societal truce, meaning violence is the REAL rule of law, but will you get it?
😄

No you can't and I'm sure you'll bring countless excuses for why you won't.
All you'll do is end up proving all my points, included the FACT that we as individuals NEED machine guns, etc.
Doubtful. You're too stupid to even realize the political theory that recognizes Rights as legal fictions is at complete odds with libertarians who view rights as natural. 😄

😄

No you can't and I'm sure you'll bring countless excuses for why you won't.

Doubtful. You're too stupid to even realize the political theory that recognizes Rights as legal fictions is at complete odds with libertarians who view rights as natural. 😄
You don't even understand natural rights. You keep conflating.

Why don't you just...pass the dutchie pon de left hand side...

Forum List

Back