Is it ok to keep quiet about my Christianity?

You know what would be awesome? If everybody had to keep quiet about their beliefs - and they could only show them. "By your fruits you shall know them." Well, there are a fair number of people on this board who say they are Christians and I think 'Naw, man. You're so not.' Their actions speak so loud, I can't hear their claims.

Once upon a time, there was a troll board made from the galaxy I came from. It was just a lark, mostly. Making fun of folks with differing views, and nobody was to join with their known name. So, a BUNCH joined. And I mean A BUNCH. Not 10 or 20 people. I'm talking over a hundred. And chatting commenced with arguing, name calling, side taking, pile ons, gangbangers with negs and whatnot. Some had high rep, some had low or were splatted red. We judged what we read..by people we didn't really know who was who. And guess what the results were? The "most popular" had the lowest or reddest marks...those who hated each other were thanking each other for posts...things said were commented on and continued on by people who in the other planet would spit whenever they saw the person they were currently hanging out with. In short...enemies from the regular board were friendly and agreeing with each other at the troll board. Which proves it is NOT the post being considered at all. It's the POSTER.

It was an eye opener, that's for sure.

Message boards are a very strange magnet for some very strange behavior.

Last edited:
I always wondered why Jewish people were so hated. In my lifetime, I was told "because they killed Jesus" and for a long time..I thought that made sense. But then...Jesus was a Jew himself. So...it didn't make sense. All this time, they are still persecuted. Why, I asked myself again. Then a dim light began to sputter over my head. Maybe they were/are hated due to....are ya ready for this off the wall idea.....jealousy?
Now before anyone gets all peeved, think about it for a sec.
They are continually referred to as "Gods Chosen People". Well....wouldn't that make non jews feel left out? Like...."what about the rest of your children? We are not jewish. Don't you love us as well? And if so, why do you continue to refer to Jews as "the chosen"? Do you continue to call them that because they still deny Jesus was the savior? And if so...does that fall in line with a parents love for the wayward child, the stubborn child, the willful child instead of the child that follows the rules, is good, does as told and doesn't question anything? Why would God have a chosen people when we are ALL supposed to be his children yet the favoritism is for...Jews.

So could this hate be from that? Jealousy?

Jesus came here to die. He was who he said he was, and did what he came to do. So why point fingers?

I always wondered why Jewish people were so hated. In my lifetime, I was told "because they killed Jesus" and for a long time..I thought that made sense. But then...Jesus was a Jew himself. So...it didn't make sense. All this time, they are still persecuted. Why, I asked myself again. Then a dim light began to sputter over my head. Maybe they were/are hated due to....are ya ready for this off the wall idea.....jealousy?
They are continually referred to as "Gods Chosen People". Well....wouldn't that make non jews feel left out? Like...."what about the rest of your children? We are not jewish. Don't you love us as well? And if so, why do you continue to refer to Jews as "the chosen"? Do you continue to call them that because they still deny Jesus was the savior? And if so...does that fall in line with a parents love for the wayward child, the stubborn child, the willful child instead of the child that follows the rules, is good, does as told and doesn't question anything? Why would God have a chosen people when we are ALL supposed to be his children yet the favoritism is for...Jews.

Jesus came here to die. He was who he said he was, and did what he came to do. So why point fingers?

When I went to look up what Bones said...I read 5-7. Interesting.

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. 7"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.…

So I ask again...are Gentiles loved as much as The Jewish are?
Just genuinely curious as to the continued hatred of Jews...whether they are seen as the "favorites" of the God we all want to love us. All meaning those who believe in Him and Jesus being the Savior but are NOT Jewish.
Why would that passage be in the bible...the one about the gentiles? It makes me wonder the purpose of even saying it.

it is not for me to judge how devout anyone is.....in their religious beliefs.....but i do resist witnessing christians who continue after i have told them i am a pagan and do not want to be witnessed to....i do not try to convert them and i dont wanna hear them....

with that said....i work with christians and its always surprising......yesterday i worked with a devout lady and i told her right up front....no witnessing...we would be fine...so we chat about this and that.....somehow the subject of serpent handlers comes up.....and i remark that its a religion built on one verse of the bible ....she says she doesnt think so.....i said....o we would need a bible to finish this debate and i will be...guess what she had....not a small one but the full educational bibles....she was surprised when we found the verse....but i will give her this...she never pushed.....she did tell me that fox news says the world will end in 2016 (?) and at that we both recited a verse.....no man nor the angels in heaven....started laughing and left....so i would say much of it depends on the christian and how much they feel the need to press their beliefs on others...debbie doesnt press...she weaves....lol

and now that i think over the 5 hours of discussion.....she did a lot of 'witnessing' but in a manner that was not offensive....somehow i realize i know the whole story of her salvation....

This article is called "Ask Roger" and the discussion is whether or not someone should keep quiet about their faith. A friend of mine sent me a newsletter with the "Ask Roger" link and I thought it was an interesting subject. What do you think? Is it ok or it isn't ok?

Here is a clip from the column. See link for full story:

The primary context of Matthew 10:32-33 is persecution. Jesus taught His followers that they would be called on to testify before powerful authorities to declare whether or not they followed Christ. On that day, true Christians will declare their surrendered relationship with Christ—even at the cost of their lives.

In practical reality, living under the iron fist of the Roman Empire, things were not nearly so clear-cut. There is little doubt that under intense torture the one being pressured can be made to say anything.

A problem arose in the church during the first and second centuries. Some of the Christians broke down and denied Christ under torture. Many in the churches "kicked out" of their churches those who denied Christ by declaring that true believers would never for a moment deny Christ. Others wanted to forgive them and welcome their return. The issue was never resolved.

Is it OK to Keep Quiet About My Christianity? - Dr. Roger Barrier

"The issue was never resolved."/B]

The issue was never resolved by whom??? Do others define my relationship with Christ or do Christ and I? Others may fall into some traps. Being forthright and honest with my Creator is infinitely more preferable than depending on some proxy human being.

Very well said. I told a story on another thread about some Russian communists who ordered some christians onto the ice to strip down and lay on the ice until they died. After some time one of the Christians came in off the ice while the Russians were sitting by a fire warming themselves. One Russian got up and said I will go take his place, stripped off his uniform and walked out to the ice, layed down and died there. What does this tell me? Perhaps there was something unbeknownst to all his other comrades going on in his heart for months, even years... yet this was his moment to show God he loved him and was willing to die for him openly confessing Christ by his actions... perhaps it happened while he was sitting there at the fire that day.. When did it happen? It would appear he never got baptised or went to a church service to go to an altar and ask Jesus into his heart. We will never know the details of that story here on earth but it was most definitely a matter between himself and God and in the end that man went to heaven without question. Where did the self professed Christian go who could not endure until the end? I do not believe we can presume to know what is in the heart of any man or woman, life is ever changing, circumstances, ideas, feelings, who knows the heart of man? Can a man even know his own heart? Even by the story of the russians and the christians I would say it is hard to answer that question. Only Jesus knows our heart and we don't have to go through any man to get to him. ( thank God )

Doesn't it say somewhere in that book that is so worshipped that one can have church in their closet?

Anyway...in answer to the question....Is it ok to keep quiet about my Christianity?

Yes, it is ok. It is also ok to talk about it if you want. But, that doesn't mean try to force someone to believe the same you do (you as in general you...not anyone specific). If talking about it was not wanted here, there wouldn't be a religion forum.

The Bible is talking about praying not having church......But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

The churches I encountered in my lifetime were nothing but hypocrits. Monday through Saturday was "fuck you"...except on Sunday.

I'm sorry that happens to you. My complaint is the church let the world in and unsaved people have crept in and run the church.

I found a church that will do almost anything for me.

I believe I prefer weaving to pressing as it works very nicely.... weaving is interesting because when you look on one side it looks like a bunch of threads not going anywhere but on the other side it comes out this beautiful piece of work! ( if the weaver is careful and does a nice job ) It kind of reminds me of life too and how God is weaving people into our lives, situations, events to create something beautiful in the end. Sometimes the most unexpected people end up being the most brightly colored threads in our life. I am grateful for meeting the people on USMB. I have learned much from them in a short amount of time ( a year is a short time to me ) I think I shall never forget what Strollingbones said today. It will stay with me forever.

Did you understand what the black NYC council person meant when she justified black knockout attacks on Jews because they were successful?

So I ask again...are Gentiles loved as much as The Jewish are?
Just genuinely curious as to the continued hatred of Jews...whether they are seen as the "favorites" of the God we all want to love us. All meaning those who believe in Him and Jesus being the Savior but are NOT Jewish.
Why would that passage be in the bible...the one about the gentiles? It makes me wonder the purpose of even saying it.

Everybody IS loved the same way. Jesus Christ came for the redemption of everyone.

Galatians 3:28

For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.

Jewish people were chosen BEFORE the coming of Jesus Christ.
After that because they rejected Him, we ALL are chosen.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.

The confusion arises because of the references in the Old Testament.

While I have not regularly attended ANY church for the past 50 years, I have never denied my belief in The Supreme Being and that Jesus Christ was His son on earth.

My denial has been for the claimed supremacy of any organized religion. Men created them and all of them seem, to me, to possess the weaknesses of Man.

Forum List

Back