Is it "Congress's" Constitutional Duty To Raise The Debt Ceiling?

Think about it. Karine Jean-Pierre says:

“You’ve heard from the president multiple times during the last five months. He’s been very clear,” she said. “You’ve heard from the president; you’ve heard from the economic team; you’ve heard from Democrats, the leadership in the House, in the Senate talk — speak to this about the urgency, about Congress actually needing to act and doing their constitutional duty.”

So, if it was set up that it is up to Congress to raise the debt ceiling then that pretty much means that it isn't an automatic thing if they have to decide to do it. So, it is not Congress's Constitutional duty to just raise the debt ceiling automatically because it was set up that they debate it.

Further, I find it fairly amusing that some Democrats want to use the 14th amendment from 1868 to override a law from 1917.

Not to mention, Republicans in the House have already passed a debt ceiling increase. We're waiting on the Senate and Biden to pass it into law.

Purely disingenuous nonsense.

The logic of those with no power to actually affect the change they desire. Weak losers.

If you’re going to make the claim that Republicans have spent too much, then I’ll agree with you. But, in THIS moment, they’ve come up with a budget that allows the debt increase, and all they’re saying is there must be cuts as well…what’s wrong with that?
What you see to be arguing is, republicans have been irresponsible, and I want to be MORE irresponsible…No.
The budget has nothing to do with the debt increase. The budget is future spending and the debt ceiling pays for debt already incurred by past spending.

CBO: GOP’s IRS bill will add $114B to deficit

The Republican proposal to eliminate billions of dollars in IRS funding will pile more than $100 billion onto federal deficits, according to a new estimate from Congress’s official budget scorekeeper.

The bill, which is slated to hit the House floor Monday night as the first legislative act of the new GOP majority, would claw back most of the almost $80 billion in new IRS funding provided under the Democrats’ massive climate, health and tax package, which was signed by President Biden last year.

CBO: GOP’s IRS bill will add $114B to deficit

Leave it to the Crazy to shoot themselves, and the country, in the foot.

Do we pay our VISA bill with our VISA card? ... no, we get a second job until our debt is under control ... AND we stop spending ...

... both ...

So let's have Democrats raise taxes on conservatives and have Republicans cut spending on liberals ... fair enough? ... and let's start charging these two-bit postage stamps of countries to defend them ... against, you know, "accidents" ... we wouldn't want to see the Czech Republic be mistaken for a South Pacific nuclear testing range ... now do we? ...

And neither do Repubicans. Trump was running well over a trillion dollar deficit.

Republicans only care about spending cuts when they have someone else to blame the spending on.
Since that's the only time Washington even talks about spending restraint, they need to act fast and decisively to get it done.

did congress stop receiving in tax revenue? Why is congress raising any debt limit that it doesn't have money to pay? Wouldn't one stop spending on things not needed?

1. Congress does not receive any tax revenue. The administration does.

2. The reason there is any federal debt is because congress has already approved expenditures that the government doesn't have the money to pay for. Incurring debt usually by selling bonds, is done by every government, federal, state & municipal in the world. Nothing new here.

3. O.K., I'm fine with stopping spending on 'things not needed', if your O.K. with AOC deciding what those things are. Deal?

I did, many times. I can always show a horse where the water is, but I can't make them drink it.

If you had actually proved it, Trump would be using such proof to reclaim the White House.

He isn't because you lied, there is no such proof. Which also explains your evasiveness.

Forum List

Back