Is it "Congress's" Constitutional Duty To Raise The Debt Ceiling?

Independentthinker

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2015
Think about it. Karine Jean-Pierre says:

“You’ve heard from the president multiple times during the last five months. He’s been very clear,” she said. “You’ve heard from the president; you’ve heard from the economic team; you’ve heard from Democrats, the leadership in the House, in the Senate talk — speak to this about the urgency, about Congress actually needing to act and doing their constitutional duty.”

So, if it was set up that it is up to Congress to raise the debt ceiling then that pretty much means that it isn't an automatic thing if they have to decide to do it. So, it is not Congress's Constitutional duty to just raise the debt ceiling automatically because it was set up that they debate it.

Further, I find it fairly amusing that some Democrats want to use the 14th amendment from 1868 to override a law from 1917.

Not to mention, Republicans in the House have already passed a debt ceiling increase. We're waiting on the Senate and Biden to pass it into law.

Last edited:
Why didn't the last several admins cut spending? Why cut it now? Political theatre. Plain and simple. Although there are zero cuts to SS and Medicare. That is smart.

Federal budget deficits under Republican Presidents collectively are 54% higher than under Democratic Presidents (as a percentage of GDP, Republican Presidents have been 65% higher than Democratic Presidents).

Presidential Data 2020​

Republicans vs. Democrats: Who's Better at Managing ...​

1685009075685.png
New Republic
https://newrepublic.com › article › economy-record-re...

May 3, 2022 — Thirteen Republican recessions, including the absolute biggest downturns: the Great Depression and the recessions of 1981, 2007, and 2020. The ..

Congress has revised the debt ceiling 78 times since 1960. ...​

NPR
https://www.npr.org › 2023/04/29 › congress-has-revise...

Apr 29, 2023 — Since 1960, Congress has raised, extended or revised the debt limit 78 separate times - 49 times under Republican presidents, 29 times under ...

Attachments

• 1685008885091.png
    1685008885091.png
    664 bytes · Views: 8
Reagan famously said that debt doesn't matter.
Spending is the Job of Congress, (something Reagan didn't understand).
Continuing to mount up debt is the responsibility of voters who insist on maintaining the same over-spenders in the House.

Federal budget deficits under Republican Presidents collectively are 54% higher than under Democratic Presidents (as a percentage of GDP, Republican Presidents have been 65% higher than Democratic Presidents).

Presidential Data 2020

Republicans vs. Democrats: Who's Better at Managing ...

View attachment 788606
New Republic
https://newrepublic.com › article › economy-record-re...
May 3, 2022 — Thirteen Republican recessions, including the absolute biggest downturns: the Great Depression and the recessions of 1981, 2007, and 2020. The ..

Congress has revised the debt ceiling 78 times since 1960. ...

NPR
https://www.npr.org › 2023/04/29 › congress-has-revise...
Apr 29, 2023 — Since 1960, Congress has raised, extended or revised the debt limit 78 separate times - 49 times under Republican presidents, 29 times under ...
If you’re going to make the claim that Republicans have spent too much, then I’ll agree with you. But, in THIS moment, they’ve come up with a budget that allows the debt increase, and all they’re saying is there must be cuts as well…what’s wrong with that?
What you see to be arguing is, republicans have been irresponsible, and I want to be MORE irresponsible…No.

If you’re going to make the claim that Republicans have spent too much, then I’ll agree with you. But, in THIS moment, they’ve come up with a budget that allows the debt increase, and all they’re saying is there must be cuts as well…what’s wrong with that?
THAT should happen during the budget negotiating process, not when you are about paying the bill.
Are you not going to pay a credit card bill until you come up with a budget?
"I'm not going to pay my credit card bill this month, until I come up with a budget for next month".
Guess what the credit card company would reply to that?

What you see to be arguing is, republicans have been irresponsible, and I want to be MORE irresponsible…No.

THAT should happen during the budget negotiating process, not when you are about paying the bill.
Are you not going to pay a credit card bill until you come up with a budget?
"I'm not going to pay my credit card bill this month, until I come up with a budget for next month".
Guess what the credit card company would reply to that?
So what’s Biden’s plan ? What you’re talking about is calling the CC company and asking for a limit increase so you can pay the minimum….They’d laugh you off the phone.

Forum List

Back