Is it "Congress's" Constitutional Duty To Raise The Debt Ceiling?

So what’s Biden’s plan ? What you’re talking about is calling the CC company and asking for a limit increase so you can pay the minimum….They’d laugh you off the phone.

"Raising" the debt limit is deceiving, that's not what it does, at all.

Debt Limit | U.S. Department of the Treasury​

1685011000674.png
Treasury Department (.gov)
https://home.treasury.gov › policy-issues › debt-limit

Since 1960, Congress has acted 78 separate times to permanently raise, temporarily extend, or revise the definition of the debt limit – 49 times under ...

The debt limit is the total amount of money that the United States government is authorized to borrow to meet its existing legal obligations, including Social Security and Medicare benefits, military salaries, interest on the national debt, tax refunds, and other payments.

The debt limit does not authorize new spending commitments. It simply allows the government to finance existing legal obligations that Congresses and presidents of both parties have made in the past.

"Raising" the debt limit is deceiving, that's not what it does, at all.

Debt Limit | U.S. Department of the Treasury

View attachment 788613
Treasury Department (.gov)
https://home.treasury.gov › policy-issues › debt-limit
Since 1960, Congress has acted 78 separate times to permanently raise, temporarily extend, or revise the definition of the debt limit – 49 times under ...

The debt limit is the total amount of money that the United States government is authorized to borrow to meet its existing legal obligations, including Social Security and Medicare benefits, military salaries, interest on the national debt, tax refunds, and other payments.

The debt limit does not authorize new spending commitments. It simply allows the government to finance existing legal obligations that Congresses and presidents of both parties have made in the past.
Wrong….You shouldn’t be taking Biden’s puppet in the Treasury’s word for any of this.

Think about it. Karine Jean-Pierre says:

“You’ve heard from the president multiple times during the last five months. He’s been very clear,” she said. “You’ve heard from the president; you’ve heard from the economic team; you’ve heard from Democrats, the leadership in the House, in the Senate talk — speak to this about the urgency, about Congress actually needing to act and doing their constitutional duty.”

So, if it was set up that it is up to Congress to raise the debt ceiling then that pretty much means that it isn't an automatic thing if they have to decide to do it. So, it is not Congress's Constitutional duty to just raise the debt ceiling automatically because it was set up that they debate it.

Further, I find it fairly amusing that some Democrats want to use the 14th amendment from 1868 to override a law from 1917.

Not to mention, Republicans in the House have already passed a debt ceiling increase. We're waiting on the Senate and Biden to pass it into law.

Yes.

They're the ones (the House specifically) who approve the spending.

THAT should happen during the budget negotiating process, not when you are about paying the bill.
Are you not going to pay a credit card bill until you come up with a budget?
"I'm not going to pay my credit card bill this month, until I come up with a budget for next month".
Guess what the credit card company would reply to that?
You seem to think the left will cut spending without being leveraged into it, well aren't you special ? Wouldn't it be great if the Fed had to adhere to a budget the same way normal people do ?

“You’ve heard from the president multiple times during the last five months. He’s been very clear,” she said. “You’ve heard from the president; you’ve heard from the economic team; you’ve heard from Democrats, the leadership in the House, in the Senate talk — speak to this about the urgency, about Congress actually needing to act and doing their constitutional duty.”

So, if it was set up that it is up to Congress to raise the debt ceiling then that pretty much means that it isn't an automatic thing if they have to decide to do it. So, it is not Congress's Constitutional duty to just raise the debt ceiling automatically because it was set up that they debate it.

Further, I find it fairly amusing that some Democrats want to use the 14th amendment from 1868 to override a law from 1917.

Not to mention, Republicans in the House have already passed a debt ceiling increase. We're waiting on the Senate and Biden to pass it into law.

The National Debt, continued spending, and a refusal to seriously address have repeatedly forced Congress into a corner where the HAVE TO raise the Debt Ceiling to keep the country going.

Both politicians and citizens have become pretty conditoned to believe there would be no serious consequences if we default.

Allowing our debt to get this high - approx $32 TRILLION - is not only criminal fiscal incompetence - its insane.

The idea that - being $32 trillion in debt - that we can spend more every year than we collect in tax revenue and still pay down our debt and interest is a disregard for reality IOT fund agendas.

Politicians don't seem to understand the United States is BEYOND 'BROKE'. We would have to pay off approx $32 trillion JUST TO BE 'BROKE'.

The Biden administration wants to help fund a railway from Saudi to India. Well, isn't that nice. Let's see what we have in our 'wallet'...Oh, its a gaping hole, some dust, and an IOU for $32 TRILLION dollars.

Time to pass the pot with the guy ringing the bell becaus you have no cash to drop in the pot.

Politicians have lost touch with reality about how average Americans live, how theu pay their bills, balance their budgets, and pay off their debts. The average American doesn't have the power to tell credit card companies to raise his credit limit over and over each time he reaches the limit.

Fiscal responsibility is needed - and our $32 trillion debt abd latest debt ceiling increase battle prove we aen't going to get if from DC.

It is their duty to pay for what they have already spent.

If you ran up huge credit card debt it would be your duty to pay what was due.

So because it's the job of Congress to do it...they don't have to do it?

Wing nut logic

That means it's CONSTITUTIONAL you ignorant fool

If you’re going to make the claim that Republicans have spent too much, then I’ll agree with you. But, in THIS moment, they’ve come up with a budget that allows the debt increase, and all they’re saying is there must be cuts as well…what’s wrong with that?
What you see to be arguing is, republicans have been irresponsible, and I want to be MORE irresponsible…No.
Ya gotta love Republicans

"I know we fucked up over and over in the past but THIS TIME...we're gonna get it right because THIS TIME we actually care about the debt unlike all those other times that we just claimed we did"

You seem to think the left will cut spending without being leveraged into it,
WTF?
You're a moron.
They do THAT during the budget process, idiot.
This is about paying a bill.

well aren't you special ? Wouldn't it be great if the Fed had to adhere to a budget the same way normal people do ?
Yeah, with NO tax cuts, teabaggers wouldn't have anything to run on.

You seem to think the left will cut spending without being leveraged into it, well aren't you special ? Wouldn't it be great if the Fed had to adhere to a budget the same way normal people do ?
The "funny" thing is that the party trying to "leverage them into it" could have done it on their own when they had the chance...but didn't. This happened under Obama and under Bush.

They only care about the debt when the Dems can be blamed for the resulting bad economy

It is Congress's responsibility to be fiscal responsible.

Spending more money that it takes in is fiscally irresponsible.

The only responsible thing to do is for the Federal government to stop spending so damn much money.

Plenty of things we don't need to be spending money on but lets start by not giving any money to the goddamn Illegals and stop spending money building these stupid EV charging station. That would net billions.

Spending more money that it takes in is fiscally irresponsible.
It's called debt. This nation has had debt for it's entire existence
The only responsible thing to do is for the Federal government to stop spending so damn much money.
If you think that fine. There is an appropriate time to deal with that responsibly. During the budget process
Plenty of things we don't need to be spending money on but lets start by not giving any money to the goddamn Illegals and stop spending money building these stupid EV charging station. That would net billions.
Do you hear yourself?

"Saving billions"? Do you think that would effect a 30 trillion dollar debt? This kinda shit will COST billions

the constitution requires them to pay off the debt not raise it,,

I think you don't really know what the debt ceiling is.

The debt ceiling is the means by which the US pays of their debt.

The budget is the means by which you raise it.

The GOP is refusing to pay of the debt if the Democrats aren't willing to give in on the GOP budget.

See how that works?

" I will let the the household go bankrupt, if I don't get my way in how the money is spend. Said no responsible adult ever"

Last edited:
So that entitles biden to do it too?
It is possible that it is allowed under the constitution. The language is vague. Which is enough. I'll demonstrate.

Do you think the GOP is entitled to risk plunging the world into financial chaos because they want to reverse some of Biden's policies?

Forum List

Back