Zone1 Is It Blasphemy That I'm Seeing Biblical History Repeat Itself?

Is Trump a "con man"?

The answer depends on how you're using the word "con man".

If by that term you mean, someone who is less than personally honest ... who might cheat on his taxes ... who might sell you a used car without telling you about a major defect it had .. or might get you to invest in a company whose assets he exaggerated ... or tell a woman he's pursuing that his wife is going to divorce him soon, knowing it 's not true ... or denounce Bill Clinton for his sexual adventures, while himself having numerous affairs ...

... well, yes... it wouldn't suprise me if that were so. As you grow up, you realize that there are lots of people like that ... from small-fry car salesmen, to big Wall Street entrepreneurs.

And the world is not divided into Hollywood-style totally evil Con Men, on the one hand, and pure good completely open and honest Mother Teresa types on the other. The Christians call it Original Sin, Darwinians blame our selfish genes.

But if by "con man" you mean someone who claims to love his country and to be deeply alarmed by the direction it's taking ... but actually just plans to do like all previous Republican national politicians and trail along behind the Left as it systematically saws away at the foundations of America ... well, no.

The fanatical loyalty the man has comes from people thinking that, finally, here is a politician who is NOT conning them, whatever his personal romantic and financial life is like.

The analogy for the Left might be Mr Al Sharpton, whose followers are probably not under the impression that he's some sort of Martin Luther King saint. (Come to think of it, neither
was Dr King, who plagiarized his doctoral thesis, and preached Christian marital fidelity to his followers while carrying on numerous affairs).

You go to war with the generals you've got.

View attachment 767822

a little research on mother theresa might show ya a wee bit differently

i have never spoken a good word about sharpton

Did a man, a strong man, come up to him, tough kind of a guy, and say: 'I want to thank you, Mr. Messiah, for saving our country', and he had tears coming down his eyes?
Hmmm... missing your point here.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
a little research on mother theresa might show ya a wee bit differently

i have never spoken a good word about sharpton
Yeah, I know what Christopher Hitchens wrote about her. She was no Mother Teresa.
I can't find any good words I have spoken about Mr Trump either. You go to war with the generals you've got.

isnt it funny she will be sainted for basically torturing the poor
Well, I read the Hitchens thing at the time, but didn't bother to read any refutations. But I've always been prejudiced -- and it's just a prejudice -- against people who isolate themselves from society, deprive themselves of the pleasures of the flesh, and follow some austere regimen. If they keep to themselves, well, de gustibus and all that... it's when they are in contact with vulnerable normal people that the problems start. My assumption is that they will try to inflict this unnatural way of life on others, like children. The whipping nun, etc. But I stress it's just a prejudice. And since most people -- who even know the reference -- think of Mother Teresa as the ultimate self-sacrificing Pure Good person, I lazily use her name that way.

Did a man, a strong man, come up to him, tough kind of a guy, and say: 'I want to thank you, Mr. Messiah, for saving our country', and he had tears coming down his eyes?
I believe something like that could have actually happened. That's the depth of the Trump cult, IMO. You have preachers calling him the Messiah from the pulpit. How do these churches keep their tax exempt status?!?!

Yeah, I know what Christopher Hitchens wrote about her. She was no Mother Teresa.
I can't find any good words I have spoken about Mr Trump either. You go to war with the generals you've got.

... then claim "i can not find any good words i have spoken about mr trump" - to prove their own innocence for the generals they have voted for.

mark sortof had it right - what is wrong, the slippery slide.

... then claim "i can not find any good words i have spoken about mr trump" - to prove their own innocence for the generals they have voted for.

mark sortof had it right - what is wrong, the slippery slide.
Not sure of your point here. In politics, we are usually presented with two choices, and we choose the lesser evil. In 2016, i thought it was Hillary. In 2020, Trump.
I will say some "good words" about him: he seems to see how the Left is destroying America.
It doesn't take much insight for that, though.
No one is 'innocent'.

Not sure of your point here. In politics, we are usually presented with two choices, and we choose the lesser evil. In 2016, i thought it was Hillary. In 2020, Trump.
I will say some "good words" about him: he seems to see how the Left is destroying America.
It doesn't take much insight for that, though.
No one is 'innocent'.

really -

However, back in 2018, when Trump’s ex-lawyer Michael Cohen was staring down charges for arranging the $130,000 payment to keep Daniels quiet about an alleged affair ahead of the 2016 election, Tacopina claimed the arrangement was “illegal” and a possible “campaign finance issue” for the ex-president.

that's their lawyer claiming nothing was illegal, today - just forget what they said when not lying ...

so hard for people to vote when they have two choices ... lying then or now - as long as it is a liar for them seems all that matters.

really -

that's their lawyer claiming nothing was illegal, today - just forget what they said when not lying ...

so hard for people to vote when they have two choices ... lying then or now - as long as it is a liar for them seems all that matters.
Maybe I'm just being slow today but I keep missing the points you are trying to make.

Is Trump a "con man"?

The answer depends on how you're using the word "con man".

If by that term you mean, someone who is less than personally honest ... who might cheat on his taxes ... who might sell you a used car without telling you about a major defect it had .. or might get you to invest in a company whose assets he exaggerated ... or tell a woman he's pursuing that his wife is going to divorce him soon, knowing it 's not true ... or denounce Bill Clinton for his sexual adventures, while himself having numerous affairs ...

... well, yes... it wouldn't suprise me if that were so. As you grow up, you realize that there are lots of people like that ... from small-fry car salesmen, to big Wall Street entrepreneurs.

And the world is not divided into Hollywood-style totally evil Con Men, on the one hand, and pure good completely open and honest Mother Teresa types on the other. The Christians call it Original Sin, Darwinians blame our selfish genes.

But if by "con man" you mean someone who claims to love his country and to be deeply alarmed by the direction it's taking ... but actually just plans to do like all previous Republican national politicians and trail along behind the Left as it systematically saws away at the foundations of America ... well, no.

The fanatical loyalty the man has comes from people thinking that, finally, here is a politician who is NOT conning them, whatever his personal romantic and financial life is like.

The analogy for the Left might be Mr Al Sharpton, whose followers are probably not under the impression that he's some sort of Martin Luther King saint. (Come to think of it, neither
was Dr King, who plagiarized his doctoral thesis, and preached Christian marital fidelity to his followers while carrying on numerous affairs).

You go to war with the generals you've got.

View attachment 767822

Exactly what I was going to say.

Btw, looks like thankfully that there were no arrests today. :D

Forum List

Back