CDZ Is calling someone Fat okay?

No kidding, my kid in his 30’s doesn’t eat enough and is constantly eating, I eat very little a day, mostly salads and protein and I am 15 lbs over and can’t lose it.

15 lbs over is one thing, 50 lbs over is another. And it creeps up on you. On top of that it gets harder every year. I think in too many cases it's a question of how much you like yourself. Insufficient self esteem is a killer for a lot of people, and it leads to self-destructive behavior. Not saying any of this applies to you personally, but I think it does to a lot of people and the first thing to do if that is you is to determine if that is the case. If it is, then find out what you can do about it; live whatever is left of your life in the best possible way.

I think you are right.

I'm at 210 and need to be 195, and that last 15 have been the most difficult. Maybe I need to get out and walk some more or try eating less.
When the covid shutdowns first started, I was taking daily walks of around 3 miles. After a couple weeks, my weight did go down about 10 lbs. Once I stopped, right back to 185.

Don't be a smartass, okay? There is no justification whatsoever for fat-shaming. MEDICAL doctors will tell you the truth about your weight and your health and that ain't fat-shaming.
I'm no fan of fat shaming. I don't do it (although I do notice obese people as they waddle about).
To each his own. The equation isn't complex: eat more calories than you burn and you will get fatter, eat less calories than you burn and you'll get thinner.
Really, it's the same for our national debt: spend more than your revenues, get fat on debt. Spend less, shed debt.

Last edited:
NO. Fat people know they are fat, and they don't need to be reminded.
True, but most overweight people are caught in an unhealthy eating loop.

I generally follow the advice that "unsolicited advice is unwanted advice," and don't think it's my business.

But I will never tell anyone obese person they are healthy. They are not.

Most people take better care of their cars than themselves

I'm no fan of fat shaming. I don't do it (although I do notice obese people as they waddle about).
To each his own. The equation isn't complex: eat more calories than you burn and you will get fatter, eat less calories than you burn and you'll get thinner.
Really, it's the same for our national debt: spend more than your revenues, get fat on debt. Spend less, shed debt.
It's a little more complicated than that. It's FAR more about the food choices you make.

Do you eat a lot of Little Debbie and Hostess, or is the majority of your diet vegetables, fruit and whole grains. If you fill up on the latter, you'll be FULL long before you exceed your caloric needs

It's a little more complicated than that. It's FAR more about the food choices you make.

Do you eat a lot of Little Debbie and Hostess, or is the majority of your diet vegetables, fruit and whole grains. If you fill up on the latter, you'll be FULL long before you exceed your caloric needs
methinks my pigs have a better diet than most people.......~S~

My first reaction when I see someone morbidly obese is compassion I can't imagine what life must be like for them, what kind of pain they endure physically from the weight and also mentally from fat shamers. I have never looked at someone obese and thought I want to make you feel even worse about yourself. I can't stand people who shame like that. If you have to pick on other people and not mind your own business it says more about you to me than the obese person being obese.

My first reaction when I see someone morbidly obese is compassion I can't imagine what life must be like for them, what kind of pain they endure physically from the weight and also mentally from fat shamers. I have never looked at someone obese and thought I want to make you feel even worse about yourself. I can't stand people who shame like that. If you have to pick on other people and not mind your own business it says more about you to me than the obese person being obese.
Very few "make fun of the obese." Most are TRYING to offer constructive criticism. But like I said, unsolicited advise is not welcome advice

The topic of "Fat shaming" get's muddled down by simplicity. It usually goes like this:

Normal Person: Fat shaming is tough to hear but it's factually accurate and can cause self-reflection. Reality can be harsh.
Body Positive Activist: But it's mean and traumatizes people, I've been called fat and it hurt me. I feel beautiful how I am and I shouldn't be made fun of for it.
NP: Nobody is making fun of you. If someone relentlessly bullies you for being fat, it's wrong. But if someone sizes you up and says you're fat in an informative way, it's entirely appropriate.
BPA: Yes you can make changes... BUT (insert reason to stay overweight)

Does anyone on this board have a problem with people saying an obese person is fat? I'm not talking about pointing fingers in public and mocking them... I'm saying, whether warmly or coldly, just some constructive criticism that you're overweight, and there's significant health problems associated.

Also, does anyone support body positive activists trying influence the youth that "big is beautiful" to supposedly protect their mental health?

Sure. But make sure that the person you are calling "fat" isn't just big-boned.

My equation works regardless of the food type.
Burn more calories than you consume and you'll lose weight. Those calories can come in the form of one single crispy creme donut or 10lbs of broccoli, the math still works the same.

Forum List

Back