CDZ Is calling someone Fat okay?

We need to quit telling people what to do, we need to inspire them.
Well said Papageorgio! If only eliminating worthless tactics (expecting that somebody will lose weight after being called fat) to only using inspirational tactics was as easy as it reads on paper. It should be an easy choice to go for success and not failure.

Currently, a subset of our nation is consumed with redefining words, even when agreement about a specific definition has already occurred. Crazy times.

Is it your place to tell anyone they are fat?

If a person asks you about their weight then you can certainly respond. I would rather hope you say something like "You are overweight and could stand to lose some" instead of saying "You're fat"

If you aren't asked then keep your comments to yourself.

"You are overweight and could stand to lose some" vs. "You're fat"

Those have the same meaning. Only difference is, the second sentence may push you to do something about it.

The topic of "Fat shaming" get's muddled down by simplicity. It usually goes like this:

Normal Person: Fat shaming is tough to hear but it's factually accurate and can cause self-reflection. Reality can be harsh.
Body Positive Activist: But it's mean and traumatizes people, I've been called fat and it hurt me. I feel beautiful how I am and I shouldn't be made fun of for it.
NP: Nobody is making fun of you. If someone relentlessly bullies you for being fat, it's wrong. But if someone sizes you up and says you're fat in an informative way, it's entirely appropriate.
BPA: Yes you can make changes... BUT (insert reason to stay overweight)

Does anyone on this board have a problem with people saying an obese person is fat? I'm not talking about pointing fingers in public and mocking them... I'm saying, whether warmly or coldly, just some constructive criticism that you're overweight, and there's significant health problems associated.

Also, does anyone support body positive activists trying influence the youth that "big is beautiful" to supposedly protect their mental health?
I’m fat. I admit it. It doesn’t bother me in the least if you call me fat.

But then I am 75. People in my age group were not raised to be politically correct. We were taught, ”Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.”

The topic of "Fat shaming" get's muddled down by simplicity. It usually goes like this:

Normal Person: Fat shaming is tough to hear but it's factually accurate and can cause self-reflection. Reality can be harsh.
Body Positive Activist: But it's mean and traumatizes people, I've been called fat and it hurt me. I feel beautiful how I am and I shouldn't be made fun of for it.
NP: Nobody is making fun of you. If someone relentlessly bullies you for being fat, it's wrong. But if someone sizes you up and says you're fat in an informative way, it's entirely appropriate.

Does anyone on this board have a problem with people saying an obese person is fat? I'm not talking about pointing fingers in public and mocking them... I'm saying, whether warmly or coldly, just some constructive criticism that you're overweight, and there's significant health problems associated.

Also, does anyone support body positive activists trying influence the youth that "big is beautiful" to supposedly protect their mental health?

That's really a job for physicians and qualified health counselors and they DO IT -- all the time. The problem with the distinction you're drawing is that the "normal person" can deliver the message, but has no clue how to really help them. Because that takes patience, time and expertise.

I think the idea that NORMALIZING obesity or being overweight is probably also unhealthy for a nation that's AFRAID to speak out IN GENERAL. Because obesity really does kill people sooner than they need to be dead.

Just yesterday at work as walked in through the security gate after badging in and walked by a very Overweight individual who could hardly walk because of it, Couldn't tuck his shirt in which is FRC long sleeve, and carrying 2 pizzas and a bread box from Dominoes..........

I didn't say a word, but shook my head as I walked by. Because he is eating himself to death and going into a refinery that very well could have an accident and he would be unable to run out of danger...........

So I have mixed feelings on this.........I will not degrade him for it or even bring up the subject..........but in hiring him I would have a problem.......because he would be unable to do the job in the field when he could barely walk into the truck.

Just yesterday at work as walked in through the security gate after badging in and walked by a very Overweight individual who could hardly walk because of it, Couldn't tuck his shirt in which is FRC long sleeve, and carrying 2 pizzas and a bread box from Dominoes..........

I didn't say a word, but shook my head as I walked by. Because he is eating himself to death and going into a refinery that very well could have an accident and he would be unable to run out of danger...........

So I have mixed feelings on this.........I will not degrade him for it or even bring up the subject..........but in hiring him I would have a problem.......because he would be unable to do the job in the field when he could barely walk into the truck.
Yeah, I worked with a nurse who was so overweight couldn't stand in front of the the med cart for more than a few minutes and had to pass meds sitting in a swivel chair.

I was torn between admiring her for still working as best she could and enduring the gossip and on the other hand thinking she should quit because she clearly couldn’t do the job safely.

But what really annoyed me was all the gossip and joking behind her back.

Like Don Draper in Mad Men said: “Can’t you find something better to do than dinning on the drama of other people’s lives like a bunch of teenage girls?”

Yeah, I worked with a nurse who was so overweight couldn't stand in front of the the med cart for more than a few minutes and had to pass meds sitting in a swivel chair.

I was torn between admiring her for still working as best she could and enduring the gossip and on the other hand thinking she should quit because she clearly couldn’t do the job safely.

But what really annoyed me was all the gossip and joking behind her back.

Like Don Draper in Mad Men said: “Can’t you find something better to do than dinning on the drama of other people’s lives like a bunch of teenage girls?”
I agree. I don't didn't say anything nor will.........just SMH and walk away. We work in an environment here that could get deadly. A fire or chemical release is always possible and it happens quick..........Luckily it hardly ever happens..........but it is a consideration for hiring.......It's sad actually.

That's really a job for physicians and qualified health counselors and they DO IT -- all the time. The problem with the distinction you're drawing is that the "normal person" can deliver the message, but has no clue how to really help them. Because that takes patience, time and expertise.

I think the idea that NORMALIZING obesity or being overweight is probably also unhealthy for a nation that's AFRAID to speak out IN GENERAL. Because obesity really does kill people sooner than they need to be dead.
Unfortunately, nature made people to be built for comfort, or built for speed. Some put a lb on by just looking at a current bun, some can eat several and not put an oz on.

No harm in chatting with a mate and saying, "You've chubbed up a bit", but the decision to lose weight is their choice.

I'm 3 stone over weight and started to cut back on what I eat. I don't look fat, I hold it quite well, but just doing it for me.

This is puzzling. Why would anyone do this?

Would you go up to random people and say, "Your hair is a mess, you have an overbite, your legs are bowed"? I mean what's the point of this?

If you're talking about drs and health care professionals, then YES, they should bring up weight. Or close loved ones, sure.

But just casually, no. Rude.

"You are overweight and could stand to lose some" vs. "You're fat"

Those have the same meaning. Only difference is, the second sentence may push you to do something about it.
You don't know that.

Don't you think obese people have been called fat thousands of times and yet they are still obese?

Depends.

I call my best friend "fat" and "ugly."

And he is.

He calls me things I won't repeat here.
Yea I'm not sensitive enough to care. you wanna, get into an insult fight with me, buckle up.

I can speak very... visually.

Unfortunately, nature made people to be built for comfort, or built for speed. Some put a lb on by just looking at a current bun, some can eat several and not put an oz on.

No harm in chatting with a mate and saying, "You've chubbed up a bit", but the decision to lose weight is their choice.

I'm 3 stone over weight and started to cut back on what I eat. I don't look fat, I hold it quite well, but just doing it for me.
No kidding, my kid in his 30’s doesn’t eat enough and is constantly eating, I eat very little a day, mostly salads and protein and I am 15 lbs over and can’t lose it.

No harm in chatting with a mate and saying, "You've chubbed up a bit", but the decision to lose weight is their choice
Yeah, if it’s your buddy or brother or something you could be giving some honest feedback or just busting his balls. Depends on relationship.

but telling some random acquaintance or coworker they’re fat is just rude and certainly not helpful

No kidding, my kid in his 30’s doesn’t eat enough and is constantly eating, I eat very little a day, mostly salads and protein and I am 15 lbs over and can’t lose it.
I'm of the opinion that older people have trained their bodies to be a certain weight over the years. No matter how much or little I eat or exercise, I always end up around 185.

Doctors do it all the time. They say "obese", but everyone knows that's the same as "fat".
Not exactly. BMI and “obesity” are flawed tools. Body fat percentage is far more accurate.

And even with doctors, there’s a limit to how many times it’s useful to tell a patient that they need to lose weight. It’s like constantly telling a smoker to quit. They know already.

I'm of the opinion that older people have trained their bodies to be a certain weight over the years. No matter how much or little I eat or exercise, I always end up around 185.
I think you are right.

I'm at 210 and need to be 195, and that last 15 have been the most difficult. Maybe I need to get out and walk some more or try eating less.

Forum List

Back