IRS Investigating The Scourge Of Hollywood

Edgetho

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2012
Anybody else as shocked as I am? I mean, can you imagine an American Administration using the power of the Executive branch to destroy its political opposition?

Himmler would be proud

IRS Moves To Stamp Out Scourge Of Hollywood Conservatives

The New York Times reveals that the IRS is investigating Friends of Abe, a group for conservatives in the entertainment industry. The review of the group’s activities was prompted by Friends of Abe’s application for 501(c)3 tax exempt status. According to the Times, the IRS has demanded “detailed information about its meetings” and “enhanced access to the website which would have revealed members names.” I am a member of Friends of Abe (though I in no way speak for it). Further, I am by no means a figure of any importance in the group but, in the parlance of the 1950s, I have attended a few meetings. So I was shocked to see the IRS taking a special interest in the group, not only because I am acquainted with the innocuous nature of the group, but also because left-leaning 501(c)3 arts organizations regularly indulge in obvious political activity without so much as a glance from the IRS.

I can’t say much about Friends of Abe. It is indeed a secret group, and there are reasons for that. I am obliged to respect the group’s privacy. While I make no secret about my politics, I have come to understand why many members do. Last year in an article in Narrative.ly Magazine I wrote about my experiences as a conservative in the theater industry and said the following: “There is a feeling among conservative cats that a kind of blacklisting happens to them in entertainment. As an actor, I haven’t experienced that, as far as I know, but that doesn’t mean itʼs not there.” I honestly doubted that there was much risk for an actor in publicly stating his or her conservative views. Just this month a story out of San Francisco shook that belief and explained why so many Friends of Abe wish to remain in the shadows.

Actress Maria Conchita Alonso, best known for her role in “Moscow on the Hudson,” was slated to appear in a Spanish language version of Eve Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues” — that is, until she made a campaign ad with a Tea Party candidate for governor. Amid threats of protest from pro-immigration groups Ms. Alonso’s ties to the show were severed, and the producer was quoted as saying “We really cannot have her in the show, unfortunately. Of course she has the right to say whatever she wants. But we’re in the middle of the Mission. Doing what she is doing is against what we believe.”

This month an article appeared in Variety outlining the difficulty that conservative-themed documentaries have getting screened at major festivals. AJ Schnack, producer of the documentary “Caucus” (about the 2012 GOP Iowa caucus) said, “It’s no secret that in terms of documentaries, film festivals tend to skew more toward liberal or progressive subjects. I had one tell me they couldn’t stand the sight of the people in [Caucus].”

More at the link.

I don't expect this to gain much traction in here. Nobody's surprised by it. Our dimocrap members won't even bother to defend it because... There is no defense and the news will quickly be lost and fall on deaf ears because nobody in the LSM will make it a Big Deal™.

What a shame. A reporter at the Slimes busts his ass, and probably took a lot of heat, to get this story published and, I promise you.... It's gonna wilt on the Vine.

If a Republican Administration were doing ANYTHING like this, we'd be hearing SCREAMS of McCarthyism from dimocraps out of every single LSM outlet on the Planet.

This is a big deal, folks.

The IRS would make Heinrich Himmler proud.

IRS going after conservatives in Hollywood now? « Hot Air

I wonder, when we take back the White House and the IRS says, "We were just doing our jobs" .... I wonder if the Republican president will let them off the hook?

Didn't work at Nuremburg

I do NOT want to criminalize politics, but criminals IN politics need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the Law.

Sounds like theyre doing their job according to the rules of 501c3

Before starting a thread such as this, you should probably know:

-is it the irs' job to audit 501c3 applications?
-is the irs in fact ignoring liberal applications for audit?

And your story, and likely you, doesn't really have a clue.

Before commenting, you should probably try reading the links I posted.

Better yet, have your mommy read them to you....

Stop me if you’ve heard this before. A conservative group applies for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status with the IRS in full compliance of the law, but gets jerked around for a couple of years in a process that should just take a few months. The IRS tax-exempt unit then starts demanding private information that isn’t germane to the application, but which worries members about just why the IRS would want this kind of information about opponents to the current administration.

According to the Obama administration, this is old news from 2010-12, and the targeting of political opponents by the IRS stopped long ago. According to the New York Times, it’s just moved out west — and now targets the few conservatives in the entertainment industry (via Twitchy):

what a fucking douche you are

I'm a douche?

You post a guys opinion as fact and claim it's a red flag. Get a grip.

Heard on my drive to work on npr

70% con 30% lib orgs were reviewed.

of course npr defended this clear use of the irs as a strong arm intimidation.

Sarah Palin's father got 6 audits as well

Co-inkydink I tell ya

I don't see Obama setting a standard like this then giving up power. Next Republican President needs to bring the full force of the IRS down on the Democrat funders, er, in an effort to check their proper use of their 501 c3 and 4 status, of course

Heard on my drive to work on npr

70% con 30% lib orgs were reviewed.

of course npr defended this clear use of the irs as a strong arm intimidation.

I listened to all of the long hours of hearings because I've a blessed enough job to do so and the IRS thing is a bunch of huff puff nothingness.

The Tea Party was a political grassroots movement in its very nature, which is why the irs as (every) piece of paper in the entire investigation has revealed, heavily scrutinized them for political activity because they were seeking tax exempt status in which the level of your political activity is a factor.

I'm a douche?

No opinion about it, scumbag.

Read the article.... Better yet, just go away. All you're gonna do is try to obfuscate the matter

Why pick on Friends of Abe? The group wants to keep its membership information private, for one thing. Anyone who saw what happened to Maria Conchita Alonso can understand why. But this isn’t supposed to be an issue for 501(c)(3) organizations in the first place. There isn’t any requirement to make membership or donor information public, because they are proscribed from directly supporting political parties and candidates by that very status. Yet here is the IRS stalling the application for two years, demanding access to the internal website, and asking intrusive questions that are really none of its business. It’s not difficult to see this as an attempt to identify members and embarrass them — or to intimidate them out of the political sphere altogether.

And that sounds like business as usual for the last few years.

dimocraps are the scum of the Earth

Co-inkydink I tell ya

I don't see Obama setting a standard like this then giving up power. Next Republican President needs to bring the full force of the IRS down on the Democrat funders, er, in an effort to check their proper use of their 501 c3 and 4 status, of course

He probably got audited because he's as dumb as she is and doesn't know basic math.

I'm a douche?

No opinion about it, scumbag.

Read the article.... Better yet, just go away. All you're gonna do is try to obfuscate the matter

Why pick on Friends of Abe? The group wants to keep its membership information private, for one thing. Anyone who saw what happened to Maria Conchita Alonso can understand why. But this isn’t supposed to be an issue for 501(c)(3) organizations in the first place. There isn’t any requirement to make membership or donor information public, because they are proscribed from directly supporting political parties and candidates by that very status. Yet here is the IRS stalling the application for two years, demanding access to the internal website, and asking intrusive questions that are really none of its business. It’s not difficult to see this as an attempt to identify members and embarrass them — or to intimidate them out of the political sphere altogether.

And that sounds like business as usual for the last few years.

dimocraps are the scum of the Earth

Yes, it's an opinion.

Shocked, shocked I tell you - that you don't know the difference.

<3 how you declare your threads as "these things are important people!!!! attention attention look at MEEEEEEE!!!!"

:cuckoo:

Co-inkydink I tell ya

He probably got audited because he's as dumb as she is and doesn't know basic math.

Uh huh, his daughter got the VP nod, then Adolph Obama came to power and then he suddenly forgot basic math.

Uh huh

Co-inkydink

Co-inkydink I tell ya

Uh huh, his daughter got the VP nod, then Adolph Obama came to power and then he suddenly forgot basic math.

Uh huh

Co-inkydink

His Daughter got the VP nod, and then embarrassed the GOP in the eyes of the General public. Even the GOP admits it behind closed, and in many cases opened, doors.

Don't take it personal that you can't see she's a ditz. It only means you're likely worse.

Co-inkydink I tell ya

57 states and two to go....

Forum List

Back