Irish court rules Subway bread is not bread

Legal limit for sugar?!

you-sir-are-worse-than-hitler.jpg

Reminds me of an insane ruling by our own Supreme Court here in the U.S., that ruled that a tomato is not a fruit.

Same general madness —a ruling based on absurd regulatory criteria rather than on objective fact.
Ketchup makers in the US are limited on the amount of sugar they can put in their products. I thought that was bad enough - that government is telling people how to make their goods.

I didn't read the OP's link, but if the Irish government is telling Subway to change their recipe (and apparently they are), then they're just as bad as the US.

Reminds me of an insane ruling by our own Supreme Court here in the U.S., that ruled that a tomato is not a fruit.

Same general madness —a ruling based on absurd regulatory criteria rather than on objective fact.
Ketchup makers in the US are limited on the amount of sugar they can put in their products. I thought that was bad enough - that government is telling people how to make their goods.

I didn't read the OP's link, but if the Irish government is telling Subway to change their recipe (and apparently they are), then they're just as bad as the US.
Subway is trying to be exempt from the VAT tax, they are making shit up saying it's not bread to much sugar in it.

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Promoting the general welfare obviously includes promoting better health among the citizenry. If lead paint were to be found toxic after children (nationally) fell ill after ingesting its chips, the government would be expected to address the problem. Similarly, when it has become evident that an epidemic of diabetes is now affecting people worldwide, it is quite reasonable to expect governments to try and stem the tide. What never makes sense is for governments to defend or promote private profit seeking, internally divisive interests over the interests of the people in general.

1601561687765.png

If not bread, does the sugar make it cake?
Hoagie size Twinkies. Generally speaking, sugar substitutes don't help. They may help keep your weight down but you're still apt to get diabetes. Diet and exercise are what count, especially when it runs in the family. Stop drinking soda and "fizzy water." Limit your consumption of fast rising, white flour products (rolls, pizza, bagels, donuts, cakes,..). All are slow acting poisons. We are what we eat.

Similarly, when it has become evident that an epidemic of diabetes is now affecting people worldwide, it is quite reasonable to expect governments to try and stem the tide.

I am part of that tide

They are telling Subway that they can't label it as bread. Subway are changing the recipe because they have been caught lying to their customers.

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Promoting the general welfare obviously includes promoting better health among the citizenry. If lead paint were to be found toxic after children (nationally) fell ill after ingesting its chips, the government would be expected to address the problem. Similarly, when it has become evident that an epidemic of diabetes is now affecting people worldwide, it is quite reasonable to expect governments to try and stem the tide. What never makes sense is for governments to defend or promote private profit seeking, internally divisive interests over the interests of the people in general.

View attachment 395465
If not bread, does the sugar make it cake?
Hoagie size Twinkies. Generally speaking, sugar substitutes don't help. They may help keep your weight down but you're still apt to get diabetes. Diet and exercise are what count, especially when it runs in the family. Stop drinking soda and "fizzy water." Limit your consumption of fast rising, white flour products (rolls, pizza, bagels, donuts, cakes,..). All are slow acting poisons. We are what we eat.
It isnt complicated is it ?

If they can call this bread, anything qualifies...

View attachment 395943
That just looks toxic.

Tastes like cancer. But, it's still bread. A combination of flour, water, yeast, salt, and sugar.
Not in Ireland.

They are telling Subway that they can't label it as bread. Subway are changing the recipe because they have been caught lying to their customers.
Maybe it's the government who's now lying to Subway's customers.

Okay, I read the link. Ireland imposes a VAT (surprise, surprise - a European country), and has defined bread as having sugar of 2% or less weight than flour, and now wants to start taxing Subway more heavily.

Seems like a sandwich maker would have a better definition for bread than a government would, but at any rate, I hope instead of paying the extra tax, they just change their menu to say "confectionery" instead of "bread."

Last edited:

If Subway thinks their bread is bread, and if their customers think their bread is bread, too, then why does Dublin think it can come and tell them any different? Does that country have a standardized definition for bread?

Seems like a sandwich maker would have a better definition for bread than a government would.
Its a cake not bread.Food needs to be labelled honestly so that the consumer can make informed choices. Big food fights that every step of the way.

If Subway thinks their bread is bread, and if their customers think their bread is bread, too, then why does Dublin think it can come and tell them any different? Does that country have a standardized definition for bread?

Seems like a sandwich maker would have a better definition for bread than a government would.
Its a cake not bread.Food needs to be labelled honestly so that the consumer can make informed choices. Big food fights that every step of the way.
I just edited my post, apparently while you were typing this one.

"More informed choices." Okay, take some of the sugar out of the bread and put it in the lettuce.

People want what they want.

Forum List

Back