Roma woman at Holocaust UK ceremony with BoJo and Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Speedy Gonzales
The Roma long fight for representation at holocaust ceremonies, because so far only jews get that.

There was one roma female from slovakia, she is british, but originally from slovakia.

120377872_1586920404823611_1095036812613436145_n.jpg

120383883_1586921181490200_3256593040099406724_n.jpg

120502944_1586921304823521_3206126368083876072_n.jpg

120387010_1586920668156918_4848035030592551244_n.jpg

Yes Mort, 25% of all Roma and Sinti (500,000) where murdered by the Nazi's.
Unusually they were allowed to live in family units in the Gypsy camp at Auschwitz, but this was because the Nazi's feared they would go berserk if they tried to separate them.
Conditions were worse than in any of the other camps.
They may have felt secure in that many had been there since the camp was built.
After the Nazi's increased capacity of the gas champers and increased the Sonderkommando to gas 565,000 Hungarian Jews. the numbers arriving stared to dwindle, and the Nazi's decided to liquidate the Gypsy camp on the night of 2 Aug 1944. The trucks arrived, but because the Gypsy's knew about the gas chambers, they did their best to resist - punching, biting and scratching the SS sent to take them to the gas chambers. Witnesses in other camps said the screaming went on for hours, By morning though all were dead.
Unlike the Jews, the Roma and Sinti were never compensated, there are no memorials and they are discriminated against especially in eastern Europe to this day.

Thanks Mort - a very good thread.

for the record, lots of my extended family were exterminated in Auschwitz ---BUT I WAS NEVER INVITED to a memorial. In the USA gypsies do not have ADDRESSES, how does one INVITE anonymous
people? For the record----jews did NOT get "compensated" by germany just because relatives died----they got compensated for PROVEN CONFISCATED
PROPERTY. Gypsies did not have any---neither did my grandparents' families. The OP statement is a bit MISLEADING and DIVISIVE ---unless he can cite some incident in which a ROMA was thrown out of one of those ceremonies

for the record, lots of my extended family were exterminated in Auschwitz ---BUT I WAS NEVER INVITED to a memorial. In the USA gypsies do not have ADDRESSES, how does one INVITE anonymous
people? For the record----jews did NOT get "compensated" by germany just because relatives died----they got compensated for PROVEN CONFISCATED
PROPERTY. Gypsies did not have any---neither did my grandparents' families. The OP statement is a bit MISLEADING and DIVISIVE ---unless he can cite some incident in which a ROMA was thrown out of one of those ceremonies

I'm sorry for what happened to your family, but it was not my intention to mislead or be divisive.
I don't for one minute think that Jews who survived or their family's, were adequately compensated, but then I don't think that would be possible. Euro nations should also make renewed efforts to find much of the property still lost or hidden.
I think 27 Jan. is Holocaust day. I watched the ceremony at Auschwitz last year and it featured a Roma man who had been sent on a work detail to another camp two weeks before the rest of his family were gassed.
The only reason he was there was because he was one of a number of survivers in a TV documentary.
In Europe it is well known were the Roma live and again governments should fund those who want to attend such memorial gatherings.

I'm sorry for what happened to your family, but it was not my intention to mislead or be divisive.
I don't for one minute think that Jews who survived or their family's, were adequately compensated, but then I don't think that would be possible. Euro nations should also make renewed efforts to find much of the property still lost or hidden.
I think 27 Jan. is Holocaust day. I watched the ceremony at Auschwitz last year and it featured a Roma man who had been sent on a work detail to another camp two weeks before the rest of his family were gassed.
The only reason he was there was because he was one of a number of survivers in a TV documentary.
In Europe it is well known were the Roma live and again governments should fund those who want to attend such memorial gatherings.

I have no idea what goes on with Roma people in Europe----I live in the USA in the TRI-STATE area.
I have had some contact with Roma people decades
ago They remained aloof from society and lived in
temporary enclaves and even in trucks out in the STICKS. ----some in empty storefronts in Pennsylvania. They spoke their own language and did not have
actual addresses. I didn't know about any organized public program that was "gypsy" or ROMA

That is wrong. First of all they do not like being called gypsies, and that they do not have adresses. That is discriminative and racist. The politically correct term is roma, and hippies call themselfes gypsies but they are not roma. And there are plenty of roma organisations including a international romani union, just like there is a world jewish congress, it is just not something which is given attention to or media presence or presence at ceremonials.

I have no idea what goes on with Roma people in Europe----I live in the USA in the TRI-STATE area.
I have had some contact with Roma people decades
ago They remained aloof from society and lived in
temporary enclaves and even in trucks out in the STICKS. ----some in empty storefronts in Pennsylvania. They spoke their own language and did not have
actual addresses. I didn't know about any organized public program that was "gypsy" or ROMA

Only a minority of roma people live like that. There are roma beauty peagants, roma radio, roma newspapers, international romani union etc. roma soccer clubs etc.

roma news

but it is something which the general public or general media does not quote or give media presence, they could quote on CNN what romanews. writes but they do not

That is wrong. First of all they do not like being called gypsies, and that they do not have adresses. That is discriminative and racist. The politically correct term is roma, and hippies call themselfes gypsies but they are not roma. And there are plenty of roma organisations including a international romani union, just like there is a world jewish congress, it is just not something which is given attention to or media presence or presence at ceremonials.

I have had VERY DIRECT contact with "ROMA" in the USA-----from Pennsylvannia New York and New Jersey. NOPE those "roma" do not have addresses, do not own land. "GIVEN ATTENTION" ? is someone stopping them ---IN THE USA---from publishing information about themselves? I don't know what goes on in LONDON. How did the nazis FIND them?

I have had VERY DIRECT contact with "ROMA" in the USA-----from Pennsylvannia New York and New Jersey. NOPE those "roma" do not have addresses, do not own land. "GIVEN ATTENTION" ? is someone stopping them ---IN THE USA---from publishing information about themselves? I don't know what goes on in LONDON. How did the nazis FIND them?

And I have contact with roma and Im a roma myself and I have a adress so do the others.

OK you met Roma who did not had a adress and I know many Roma who do have a adress. But you mistake here something. It is not about inviting the little man like me or you. I was also never invited, but about roma representation and roma do have organisations like the international romani union and other organisations. It is about that a roma leader or roma organisation is invited. They certainly have a adress.

Forum List

Back