IRA claims responsibility for letter bomb attack.

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
'IRA' claims responsibility for London and Glasgow letter bombs, say Met police

A group calling itself the IRA has claimed responsibility for package bombs sent to targets in London and Glasgow.

A statement was sent to a media outlet in Northern Ireland using a “recognised codeword” on Monday, police said.

It said five bombs had been sent out, but only four have been discovered at Heathrow, London City Airport, Waterloo railway station and the University of Glasgow.

“The claim was allegedly made on behalf of the ‘IRA’,” a spokesperson for Scotland Yard added.

I hope our MPs take note of this when they vote on brexit tonight. You cant rip up a treaty on a whim. Ireland should look forwards and not be dragged backwards.

Wasn't the Irish Republican Army all about separating from the Union and gaining independence?
I would think they would be all about things like Brexit?

Wasn't the Irish Republican Army all about separating from the Union and gaining independence?
The current brexit deal would see a border imposed between the north and the Republic. No border was a key part of the treaty that brought peace. Its not great.

The current brexit deal would see a border imposed between the north and the Republic. No border was a key part of the treaty that brought peace. Its not great.
Yes, and EU membership was a contingent part of the border agreement. When British membership is rescinded then the logical step is a border checkpoint. Pretty common sense.

Yes, and EU membership was a contingent part of the border agreement. When British membership is rescinded then the logical step is a border checkpoint. Pretty common sense.
Not when it involves ripping up a peace treaty. Ireland voted to remain and that should be the end of it for the sake of peace.

Key phrase"a group calling itself IRA"

Seems sloppy for the real IRA, they didn't play

Not when it involves ripping up a peace treaty. Ireland voted to remain and that should be the end of it for the sake of peace.
Well, you see when there are interlocking treaties and one party absolves themselves (legally) of one those treaties (UK/EU). There is a legal foundation and often, requirement to rescind and renegotiate terms of aspects of the other (UK/Ireland). Nothing is permanent and I am SURE it will be resolved.
Further, we don't know exactly who sent the bombs. It will all work out as the borders have no yet been re-established. Seems like a scare tactic to me. Nothing went BOOM did it? No...all scarey scarey packages with no payoff.
Boo!

Well, you see when there are interlocking treaties and one party absolves themselves (legally) of one those treaties (UK/EU). There is a legal foundation and often, requirement to rescind and renegotiate terms of aspects of the other (UK/Ireland). Nothing is permanent and I am SURE it will be resolved.
Further, we don't know exactly who sent the bombs. It will all work out as the borders have no yet been re-established. Seems like a scare tactic to me. Nothing went BOOM did it? No...all scarey scarey packages with no payoff.
Boo!
Having lived through the troubles I have no desire to see a return to hostility. There is no solution to this that will satisfy both parties and this wasnt even mentioned when we voted. If a border is erected we will see real bombs soon enough.

Forum List

Back