Intelligent, Respectful Political Discourse, RIP

Yikes, stumbled on to this discussion between two guys from opposite ends of the political spectrum, William F. Buckley and Noam Chomsky.

Intelligent, respectful, stimulating, thoughtful disagreement.

So what happened to us?

Over the half-century the Democrats became open enemies of the United States.
Then lets have another civil war and give us a chance to wipe out you evil red neck racists .. your trailer trash We blew it the last time

Yeah. When you attacked Ft. Sumter, you sure did. Do you think a repeat would change the outcome?

Only someone who hates the country would want another civil war.

I believe if you people were to actually make such a boneheaded move, it would be among the shortest-lived uprisings in history.
One H bomb on Ala and Miss would solve the problem ,quickly

Yikes, stumbled on to this discussion between two guys from opposite ends of the political spectrum, William F. Buckley and Noam Chomsky.

So what happened to us?

Then lets have another civil war and give us a chance to wipe out you evil red neck racists .. your trailer trash We blew it the last time

Yeah. When you attacked Ft. Sumter, you sure did. Do you think a repeat would change the outcome?

I believe if you people were to actually make such a boneheaded move, it would be among the shortest-lived uprisings in history.

Drinking Sterno™ today, ed?

I learned a long time ago that a nutter's (side irrelevant) biggest enemy is not a nutter from the other "side". They're easy. A nutter's biggest enemy is a person who chooses to think for themselves, because we expose them for what they are. There are people who simply will not be a part of any constructive or interesting conversation. I've learned that one, too.
The nutter’s biggest enemy, especially when that enemy “is a person who chooses to think for themselves,” must be demonized. Everything negative must be exaggerated and attributed to “the enemy.” Nutters live in their own fantasy world, filled with malevolent criminals. Even if they ... just vote differently.

So what happened to us? Aside from, "it's all the other tribe's fault"?

Their side decided it stopped being about ideas that even they have to admit don't work, like Supply Side and Laffer Curves, and decided it was all about "Owning the Libs".

And, no, Mac, both sides are not Just as bad.

Most Republicans know Trump is unfit for the office, but they elected him anyway to own the libs. That's when "thoughtful disagreement" became kind of besides the point.

These are two guys who never had to worry about where their next meal is going to come from, or whether or not they'll be able to make the next months rent. It's easy to be "civil" if you have no personal stakes.

I learned a long time ago that a nutter's (side irrelevant) biggest enemy is not a nutter from the other "side". They're easy. A nutter's biggest enemy is a person who chooses to think for themselves, because we expose them for what they are. There are people who simply will not be a part of any constructive or interesting conversation. I've learned that one, too.
The nutter’s biggest enemy, especially when that enemy “is a person who chooses to think for themselves,” must be demonized. Everything negative must be exaggerated and attributed to “the enemy.” Nutters live in their own fantasy world, filled with malevolent criminals. Even if they ... just vote differently.
They're threatened. They're used to just flinging poo and getting the same in return.

Any other type of response confuses them, so they just keep flinging the poo.

They're like children. Arrested development. They won't be a part of interesting or constructive conversation because they simply lack the capacity. Okay. They can play in the corner.

So what happened to us?

Drinking Sterno™ today, ed?
Billy KBOOM ..No BK just the usual Glen livit

So what happened to us? Aside from, "it's all the other tribe's fault"?

Their side decided it stopped being about ideas that even they have to admit don't work, like Supply Side and Laffer Curves, and decided it was all about "Owning the Libs".

And, no, Mac, both sides are not Just as bad.

Most Republicans know Trump is unfit for the office, but they elected him anyway to own the libs. That's when "thoughtful disagreement" became kind of besides the point.

These are two guys who never had to worry about where their next meal is going to come from, or whether or not they'll be able to make the next months rent. It's easy to be "civil" if you have no personal stakes.
Joe That is one great post Thank you

They're threatened. They're used to just flinging poo and getting the same in return.

They're like children. Arrested development. They won't be a part of interesting or constructive conversation because they simply lack the capacity. Okay. They can play in the corner.
Neither one of you has addressed what I said. Which directly addressed what you two said. Do you guys just agree with me, or ... Am I a nutter too?

Are we actually going to talk about it or not?

I must say I find the language, personal insults, talk of shooting, hanging, exiling of “leftist, communist Demoncrats” incredibly more dangerous than language going in the opposite direction.

Add to this the rightwing fascination with guns and gun culture, their accusations that defenders of a woman’s right to abortion are “mass murderers,” the fact that among the right’s lunatic fringe are the great majority of actual domestic terrorists in recent years ...

The carrying-ons of spoiled and childish, but unarmed, liberal students against rightwing provocateurs or ruling class spokesman on various campuses (I haven’t been on a campus in decades so I can’t say how exaggerated this is in the news) seems not exactly “terrifying” to me. But what of free speech to protest and peaceful rights to boycott? State power is increasingly beIng used and laws passed to make BDS illegal. I do not defend liberal stupidity, “pronoun Nazis” or whatever is the fashion of the moment, but somehow I don’t see these types as serious threats.

I note that the anti-liberal leftist Chomsky, for instance, signed the petition about “cancel culture.” Most Democrats who defend our African American citizens against police bullying and abuse, are opposed to Confederate flags and monuments in public squares, are also clearly against criminality, looting, violent destructive behavior, etc. But the right mostly insists on saying all Democrats support those activities. More violent language that makes real discussion almost impossible.
I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I'm beginning to see some hopeful signs from both ends of this that the adults may have had enough.

The Lincoln Project guys are on one end, and there are more and more liberals who are saying it, too.

They don't have to be perfect. There just needs to be enough momentum to marginalize the people who are doing so much damage. Then we go from there.

Neither one of you has addressed what I said. Which directly addressed what you two said. Do you guys just agree with me, or ... Am I a nutter too?

Which post?

Which post?

The Lincoln Project guys are on one end, and there are more and more liberals who are saying it, too.

The Lincoln Project guys are a bunch of political hacks who are miffed that they don't have a place in Trump's regime. I prefer my idealists to be a little less selfish, thank you.

Reality check... The Democrats got behind Biden, who is about as milqtoast, middle of the Road as you can get. It still doesn't make you happy.

Who is a greater ""POO "" flinger than Trump????

Didn't you see the disrespectful way the democrats tried to grill Barr? They were doing talking points and not letting him respond.
The gloves are off. Politics is now a contact sport. Wait until the senate drops the "filibuster" rule. Then its majority rules, period.
Yup, pretty sad isn’t it?

Which post?
The Left is going what each wing does when its side is doing stupid things: It's refusing to address it honestly or effectively. It's placing its base over what's best for the city or state or country. And as I've said a zillion times, when we refuse to hold our side accountable for its actions, all we're REALLY doing is enabling MORE of them.

To drag this back to the point of the thread, it's essentially impossible to effectively address the problems we face when neither end is willing to honestly look in the mirror. The mayors in the cities with violence have clearly taken sides, and it's up to the Left to hold them accountable. I'm not seeing much of that, if anything.

Who is a greater ""POO "" flinger than Trump????
No one. But this had started long before him.

So what happened to us?

You bunch of faggots don't even know which end the bullet comes out of........hell you don't even know if you are a man or a woman either.

Face it.....You are part of a bunch of confused ass........fitting symbol of the DNC.....MORONS.

Here's a clue.........if something hangs down there........you are a man

Okay, I'm just kidding, I know why. It's because you guys have no idea how to have a rational, honest, intelligent conversation about complicated issues.
WTF is complicated about it.............They are burning .....looting and killing......and we don't like it.

How is that complicated you Fraud?
Because it's not about actual real events... It's about the discourse itself, and why it's a problem that we can't talk to each other.

Which... I DID ADDRESS. Directly to their points on why it's so damn hard. It's more about the ideology than the actual events.

I likely should have left out real events myself... But thought it was necessary to show the point effectively.
I've been posting on boards since the 90s......yes that long.....

And I would rather debate with a dang tree than these retards..........They are DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY......Mac only deflects to try and shift blame

I'm over being nice to a bunch of dang Terrorist which is what they are now.

Which post?
The Left is going what each wing does when its side is doing stupid things: It's refusing to address it honestly or effectively. It's placing its base over what's best for the city or state or country. And as I've said a zillion times, when we refuse to hold our side accountable for its actions, all we're REALLY doing is enabling MORE of them.

To drag this back to the point of the thread, it's essentially impossible to effectively address the problems we face when neither end is willing to honestly look in the mirror. The mayors in the cities with violence have clearly taken sides, and it's up to the Left to hold them accountable. I'm not seeing much of that, if anything.
When you republicans start holding the leader of our country accountable we can start

Forum List

Back