Inside the Biden administration as Afghanistan collapses

The Enron Era Scandals—What Happened to the Good Guys ...
The accounting scandal at the Enron Corp. touched off a media storm that President George W. Bush responded to with the creation of an Enron Task Force at the Justice Department. Its assignment was...

Enron: The Bush Connection | Democracy Now!

May 26, 2006 · The family donated about $140,000 to Bush’s political campaigns in Texas and for the White House. The President personally nicknamed Ken Lay “Kenny Boy.”. Overall, Enron

the company the Bush Admin prosecuted

the company the Bush Admin prosecuted

Remember, when Bush was gov of Texas to severely limit the rights of Texans to sue corporations.

Before he prosecuted Emron, he tried to save them.. Lots of his friends were invested in ENRON and their stock had increased over 300%. Their accounting was funny and they were leveraged out the wazoo.

Bush's Enron Deal | The Nation
Mar 07, 2002 · To spell it out: George W. Bush and Enron Oil and Gas were in business together in 1986--when Ken Lay was head of Enron. (Lay was named Enron chairman in February of that year.)

5 mins

Remember, when Bush was gov of Texas to severely limit the rights of Texans to sue corporations.

Before he prosecuted Emron, he tried to save them.. Lots of his friends were invested in ENRON and their stock had increased over 300%. Their accounting was funny and they were leveraged out the wazoo.

Mar 07, 2002 · To spell it out: George W. Bush and Enron Oil and Gas were in business together in 1986--when Ken Lay was head of Enron. (Lay was named Enron chairman in February of that year.)

5 mins
o i don’t remember that…can you provide the law?

why wouldn’t you sue them in federal court anyway?

5 mins
No, I don't remember that...can you provide the law that Bush signed as Gov that made it harder for Texans to sue Enron? and why wouldn't they have sued in Federal Court anyway?

Speaking of Enron.....you have to remember most of it's dirty dealing was done before Bush took office, and prosecuted them....why were they protected then?

"
Documents obtained by TIME show the energy giant enjoyed much closer ties with Clinton Administration regulators than was generally known. Long before Cheney's task force met with Enron officials and included their ideas in Bush's energy plan, Clinton's energy team was doing much the same thing. Drafting a 1995 plan to help facilitate cash flow and credit for energy producers, it asked for Enron's input—and listened. The staff was directed to "rework the proposal to take into account the specific comments and suggestions you made," Clinton Deputy Energy Secretary Bill White wrote an Enron official.
Clinton officials also made efforts to help Enron get business overseas. Clinton Energy Secretary Hazel O'Leary included Enron officials on trade missions to India, China, Pakistan and South Africa. White, returning from a 1994 trip to Mexico, wrote chairman Lay that "much opportunity" existed there for natural gas, and he sent a copy of Mexico's energy plans. To persuade an Enron senior vice president to join a mission to Pakistan, White wrote, "I have strong personal relationships with the existing government."

Enron showed its gratitude. At Christmas 1995, documents show, it donated an unknown sum of cash in O'Leary's name to a charity called "I Have a Dream." And when Clinton ran for re-election a year later, the company made its largest single contribution ever—$100,000—to the President's party."

o i don’t remember that…can you provide the law?

why wouldn’t you sue them in federal court anyway?

No, I don't remember that...can you provide the law that Bush signed as Gov that made it harder for Texans to sue Enron? and why wouldn't they have sued in Federal Court anyway?

Speaking of Enron.....you have to remember most of it's dirty dealing was done before Bush took office, and prosecuted them....why were they protected then?

"
Documents obtained by TIME show the energy giant enjoyed much closer ties with Clinton Administration regulators than was generally known. Long before Cheney's task force met with Enron officials and included their ideas in Bush's energy plan, Clinton's energy team was doing much the same thing. Drafting a 1995 plan to help facilitate cash flow and credit for energy producers, it asked for Enron's input—and listened. The staff was directed to "rework the proposal to take into account the specific comments and suggestions you made," Clinton Deputy Energy Secretary Bill White wrote an Enron official.
Clinton officials also made efforts to help Enron get business overseas. Clinton Energy Secretary Hazel O'Leary included Enron officials on trade missions to India, China, Pakistan and South Africa. White, returning from a 1994 trip to Mexico, wrote chairman Lay that "much opportunity" existed there for natural gas, and he sent a copy of Mexico's energy plans. To persuade an Enron senior vice president to join a mission to Pakistan, White wrote, "I have strong personal relationships with the existing government."

Enron showed its gratitude. At Christmas 1995, documents show, it donated an unknown sum of cash in O'Leary's name to a charity called "I Have a Dream." And when Clinton ran for re-election a year later, the company made its largest single contribution ever—$100,000—to the President's party."

You didn't read the links, did you?

Bush signs act that restricts class action suits in state ...
Mar 05, 2005 · But critics say the costs cited by President Bush are exaggerated and that the act will make it harder to hold corporations responsible for wrongdoing. Joanne Doroshow, attorney and founder of the Center for Justice and Democracy, told the BMJ, “The $240bn figure [is] misleading... The cost of malpractice—both claims and premiums—is each less than 1% of total healthcare costs.

President Bush and Federal Tort Reform | Kraft
Oct 28, 2013 · The answer, of course, is money. Texans for Public Justice (TPJ) reported in a January 2000 study that political action committees, businesses and individuals affiliated with Texas’s two major corporate tort groups — Texans for Lawsuit Reform and the Texas Civil Justice League — contributed $4.1 million to Bush’s two gubernatorial campaigns, outspending every other special-interest donor …

You didn't read the links, did you?

Bush signs act that restricts class action suits in state ...
Mar 05, 2005 · But critics say the costs cited by President Bush are exaggerated and that the act will make it harder to hold corporations responsible for wrongdoing. Joanne Doroshow, attorney and founder of the Center for Justice and Democracy, told the BMJ, “The $240bn figure [is] misleading... The cost of malpractice—both claims and premiums—is each less than 1% of total healthcare costs.

Oct 28, 2013 · The answer, of course, is money. Texans for Public Justice (TPJ) reported in a January 2000 study that political action committees, businesses and individuals affiliated with Texas’s two major corporate tort groups — Texans for Lawsuit Reform and the Texas Civil Justice League — contributed $4.1 million to Bush’s two gubernatorial campaigns, outspending every other special-interest donor …
I did, but restricting class action lawsuits in the state, doesn't limit put a limit on sueing only Enron...nor does it even put a limit on individuals on their own suing Enron...

You said he put a limit on suing Enron....which isn't true at all....it was all Class Actions, nothing just about Enron....and moreover, nothing about individual lawsuits, just class actions.

So why did you lie?

and now you go on to Federal Tort Reform...which has nothing to do with his time as Gov. of Texas.

Tort Reform was a major issue for all Republicans, and is still a issue. Doctors for example, and hospitals must carry major insurance policies which drive up the cost of their services.

Your own link talks about him meeting at a salsa plant...not Enron....

I did, but restricting class action lawsuits in the state, doesn't limit put a limit on sueing only Enron...nor does it even put a limit on individuals on their own suing Enron...

You said he put a limit on suing Enron....which isn't true at all....it was all Class Actions, nothing just about Enron....and moreover, nothing about individual lawsuits, just class actions.

So why did you lie?

and now you go on to Federal Tort Reform...which has nothing to do with his time as Gov. of Texas.

Tort Reform was a major issue for all Republicans, and is still a issue. Doctors for example, and hospitals must carry major insurance policies which drive up the cost of their services.

Your own link talks about him meeting at a salsa plant...not Enron....

Why can't you read?

Why can't you read?

I did read it....

and again...I am trying to understand why you are using that to prove that he signed some law in Texas as Gov to make it harder to sue Enron.

You have yet to provide anything that shows he signed some law to protect Enron.

He did sign a law dealing with Class Action lawsuits, but that was specific to Enron, and did nothing about personal lawsuits.

Maybe you just don't understand what you posted

I would love to see Afghanistan in a stable Democracy with human rights and freedom and no Taliban interference.

But I am not willing to spend trillions of dollars and thousands of US lives to make it so.

Taliban now have Kandahar and Herat. So like in South Vietnam, years, money, and lives have been cynically cast aside to install a government with no local support and is incapable of being self sustainable.

3,000 troops?

is Biden out of his fucking mind? God damn it, i want a plan, a real plan, not some fairy tale!

i want the Taliban and their minions cowering under a rain of bombs

there is no way the Taliban should survive in the face of America's military power

i can easily imagine the Taliban leadership hunkered down in a bunker while their troops collapsed around them

we need to DESTROY, not attack, not damage, not surround...DESTROOY! I don't want the Taliban to exist anymore when the Marines are done with them!

The enemy is not worth a shit. go after them with audacity, shock, action, and surprise

we don't want a half-assed military campaign

"we're not peace people, we're kill people" - Gen Mad Dog Mattis

and what about other world powers? how long will the world stand by and watch the Taliban pound the living hell out of Afghanistan without saying: "Wait a minute...enough is enough!"

even an Afghan once told Mad Dog Mattis: "why are you stopping? you have the power. your army rules the heavens and the earth. do you think we love the Taliban?"

3,000 troops?

is Biden out of his fucking mind? God damn it, i want a plan, a real plan, not some fairy tale!

i want the Taliban and their minions cowering under a rain of bombs

there is no way the Taliban should survive in the face of America's military power

i can easily imagine the Taliban leadership hunkered down in a bunker while their troops collapsed around them

we need to DESTROY, not attack, not damage, not surround...DESTROOY! I don't want the Taliban to exist anymore when the Marines are done with them!

The enemy is not worth a shit. go after them with audacity, shock, action, and surprise

we don't want a half-assed military campaign

"we're not peace people, we're kill people" - Gen Mad Dog Mattis

and what about other world powers? how long will the world stand by and watch the Taliban pound the living hell out of Afghanistan without saying: "Wait a minute...enough is enough!"

even an Afghan once told Mad Dog Mattis: "why are you stopping? you have the power. your army rules the heavens and the earth. do you think we love the Taliban?"
Time to pack up and go home

This is what was always going to happen without the US to hold it together.

I'll criticize Biden for a lot...but not this. We gave it our best shot... but we can't stay there forever.
I agree it was time to pull out, but it could have been done better....

I'd like to think you're right... But I can't see how. If Afghanistan can't stand on its own after two decades...it's just never going to happen.
Maybe, I just don’t know. What they are describing happening is horrible...as if anyone would believe the Taliban had changed. I DO think we could do better to get the people who helped us to safety at least. JMO

Forum List

Back