Inaugural benediction: Pray that “white will embrace what is right”

Lowery recited an old civil rights poem/prayer whatever you want to call it, and to my mind was saying, It has come to pass, "AMEN".

Some of you sensitive souls need to take a long look in your mirror.

Lowery recited an old civil rights poem/prayer whatever you want to call it, and to my mind was saying, It has come to pass, "AMEN".

To my mind it was saying, racism...

Totally agree. And if preacher's can't be controversial, who can?

I don't think he does, though I can understand why a white boy would. lol.

Just trying to make sure I don't consume too much of the world's resources, while providing all the other races whatever they need to succeed.:eusa_whistle:

I have been puzzled about the fact that during the entire election that the racist white republicans mentioned that Barry was Black almost never but the all inclusive and magnanimous color blind democrats, even Barry himself would bring up the color of a person's skin.

The fact that this reverend what's his name sees the country not as one of Americans but of black, red, yellow, brown and white is telling.

It seems the democratic party, the party of the people, is more the the party of "you people".

It seems to be inconsistent with their message that it is the democrats who categorize people by skin color.

maybe in you mind but he asked the Lord to help us "work for that day when--------" implying that it has not occurred yet.
look--whites aren't going to go whining to the National Association for the Advancement of white people and demand an apology. They are merely pointing out the guys attitude.

maybe in you mind but he asked the Lord to help us "work for that day when--------" implying that it has not occurred yet.
look--whites aren't going to go whining to the National Association for the Advancement of white people and demand an apology. They are merely pointing out the guys attitude.

People were pointing out his attitude almost a day ago. Now it's just bitching and trying to connect this to Obama somehow. :cuckoo:

People were pointing out his attitude almost a day ago. Now it's just bitching and trying to connect this to Obama somehow. :cuckoo:

not by me----best of luck to him. Let's see how he does and hopefully he can leave race out of it. It's divisive and we've had enough of that.

White is the color of the majority.

When white embraces what is right is when white people accept that racism is wrong.

History is what he is speaking of, you can pretend it was not part of the American experience but you would be dead wrong.

I'm sorry I missed this thread yesterday - it would have meant I could disagree with you earlier.

If history is what he was speaking of then the way he expressed it was, for my money, very poor indeed. And I can't believe that this was a comment he just made off the cuff - he would have worked on these words for weeks.

The implication of his comment was that while 'people of color' have to struggle to get ahead, whites are somehow behaving wrongly.

We all know that racism exists, and most of us abhor it. To have this holier than thou know it all say at a Presidential Inauguration that will be televised around the world that whites (i.e. all of them) need to (i.e. in future) 'do what is right" is just plain insulting.

The "American Experience" is beside the point. If that was really the point he was making then he could have expressed it in a much better, more positive, more forward looking and less divisive way. But he chose not to.

It was the only part of the proceedings that I found to be saddening.

Hmm, reading on in the thread I gather maybe this was an old poem? Maybe this would modify my view.

Last edited:
How about this .. African-Americans have been in America for nearly 400 years and have only been RELATIVELY FREE for 42 years.

Blacks still do not have the same freedoms as whites .. any questions see the war on drugs, otherwise known as the war on black people, the criminal injustice system, and the murders of unarmed black men by police who pay no penalty for their crimes.

How about this .. African-Americans have been in America for nearly 400 years and have only been RELATIVELY FREE for 42 years.

Blacks still do not have the same freedoms as whites .. any questions see the war on drugs, otherwise known as the war on black people, the criminal injustice system, and the murders of unarmed black men by police who pay no penalty for their crimes.
So goes the same with the way in certain places women are treated.

The fact is hatred breeds more hatred. Discrimination of any kind is plain ignorance and lack of understanding.

People are people no matter where one goes. Not one is better than the other. They just have been taught or learned different values/morals.

My ninth grade education is no less than your college degree depending on where or what we are doing. I can build a septic or filtration system you can write a more elequent essay. That does not say that either of of put our pants on any different, the pants still can only accept one leg in each hole.

It would be well if more people would learn to watch what they say in speeches and benedictions. The man obviously did piss off some white men out there in cyberland. On a whole poverty is a tragedy for all people white, yellow, red or black. Poverty is a condition that breeds intolerance.

I'm a dumb white girl wo you are going to have to explain to me how black people who choose to take drugs are denied freedom. That's what you say out of this side of your mouth, out of the other side of you mouth you are likely to scream legalize drugs. I definitely get what you mean by the police brutality. That Oakland deal is a terrible thing. And lastly you need to tell us what you want. Do you want an American society or do you want a Black and White American society? Choose one .

So goes the same with the way in certain places women are treated.

The fact is hatred breeds more hatred. Discrimination of any kind is plain ignorance and lack of understanding.

People are people no matter where one goes. Not one is better than the other. They just have been taught or learned different values/morals.

My ninth grade education is no less than your college degree depending on where or what we are doing. I can build a septic or filtration system you can write a more elequent essay. That does not say that either of of put our pants on any different, the pants still can only accept one leg in each hole.

It would be well if more people would learn to watch what they say in speeches and benedictions. The man obviously did piss off some white men out there in cyberland. On a whole poverty is a tragedy for all people white, yellow, red or black. Poverty is a condition that breeds intolerance.

I know Rev. Lowery very well and he is a brilliant man who understands the tragedy of poverty more than most and who is closer to the embodiment of MLK than anyone else alive.

What he said was absolutely true and if that truth "upset some white men" that's really too bad considering unarmed black men are being murdered by police and the American criminal injustice system is racist to its core .. making America the greatest prison nation in human history. Why aren't those white men upset about that truth?

I know Rev. Lowery very well and he is a brilliant man who understands the tragedy of poverty more than most and who is closer to the embodiment of MLK than anyone else alive.

What he said was absolutely true and if that truth "upset some white men" that's really too bad considering unarmed black men are being murdered by police and the American criminal injustice system is racist to its core .. making America the greatest prison nation in human history. Why aren't those white men upset about that truth?

White folks on the right don't wanna hear that truth, shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

It most certainly was--even Obama got it and laughed. Why ???????:eusa_think:

Hell he sat front and center for twenty years lapping up every frothing at the mouth racist rant of reverend wright, he's USED to it, and he laughed because now he knows they can get away with it and whitey will still kiss his ass. They proved it by putting him in office. He laughed because now he feels invincible, and for good reason.

I'm with you BAC. White folks are evil and should just go away and leave everything to black folks. After all, history has shown that blacks are sooooo much better at EVERYTHING than whites.

Obvioulsy that was sarcasm. The day this country stops distinguishing human nature based on the color of skin is the day racism will be dead in the US. Until then, each and every one who distinguishes between human beings and their actions/positions/successe/failures based on skin color is a racists.

[/B]

I'm a dumb white girl wo you are going to have to explain to me how black people who choose to take drugs are denied freedom. That's what you say out of this side of your mouth, out of the other side of you mouth you are likely to scream legalize drugs. I definitely get what you mean by the police brutality. That Oakland deal is a terrible thing. And lastly you need to tell us what you want. Do you want an American society or do you want a Black and White American society? Choose one .
Willow a lot of it is how people grow up in the Hood. It is that simple. Poverty or drug use lifestyle is a trap that people have a very hard time overcoming.

I have a nephew who's mother is a street prostitute/druggie. The boy grew up believing in that lifestyle. He has a mental block that keeps him there. How do you break that? I tried. I brought him home with me from the streets San Bernardino, California to Iowa when he was fifteen. Talk about a big job trying to be patient enough with that boy so he could half ass learn a normal lifestyle. It was darn costly too in many ways. I wanted him to know how to do something he could make a living with in the years to come so I put him on a machine moving dirt from point A to point B. The kid had no clue how to even keep own clothes in order when he got here so even that was a battle. It was all things with him because he simply had no clue. Those little minor daily tasks he had never learned.

That is what you are dealing with in these children that live in ghettos, slums, the barrio. A mindset that they have a very hard time overcoming. Just as many who have had an easy life handed to them on a silver platter cannot overcome the mindset that these people have very little choices set before them.

Forum List

Back