Indiana Law Requires Profs to Promote ‘Intellectual Diversity’ - Will DEI Advocates Go For This? (don't bet on it)

Should Intellectual Diversity as Well as Ethnic Diversity Be Required?

• Others, and in between, post away!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JBG

Liberal democrat
Jan 8, 2012
New York City area
Indiana Law Requires Professors to Promote ‘Intellectual Diversity’ or Face Penalties (link, not paywalled)

Diversity is a great thing, and, along with freedom, makes America strong. But, will DEI advocates embrace this? I don't think so. Excerpt:

New York Times said:
A new law in Indiana requires professors in public universities to foster a culture of “intellectual diversity” or face disciplinary actions, including termination for even those with tenure, the latest in an effort by Republicans to assert more control over what is taught in classrooms.
The law connects the job status of faculty members, regardless of whether they are tenured, to whether, in the eyes of a university’s board of trustees, they promote “free inquiry” and “free expression.” State Senator Spencer Deery, who sponsored the bill, made clear in a statement that this would entail the inclusion of more conservative viewpoints on campus.
The sole focus of the biased coverage against the law is its effect on faculty tenure. The law could, perhaps, use some fine-tuning in that respect, but why should students, as now, be subject to being penalized for essays that don't "tow the line"?

Indiana Law Requires Professors to Promote ‘Intellectual Diversity’ or Face Penalties (link, not paywalled)

Diversity is a great thing, and, along with freedom, makes America strong. But, will DEI advocates embrace this? I don't think so. Excerpt:

The sole focus of the biased coverage against the law is its effect on faculty tenure. The law could, perhaps, use some fine-tuning in that respect, but why should students, as now, be subject to being penalized for essays that don't "tow the line"?
Guess it depends on what your definition of intellectual diversity is. This is blood red Indiana. So I'm gonna go out on a pretty thick limb here and say "diversity" means being able to spout homophobic, racist, misogynistic dialogue...with no fear of repercussion.
"State Senator Spencer Deery, who sponsored the bill, made clear in a statement that this would entail the inclusion of more conservative viewpoints on campus".

Now, full disclosure, having had several bad experiences with tenured professors, I am all in favor of doing away with tenure...period. Or having tenure reviewed every 2-4 years. You should be held accountable in your job performance, just like the rest of us.

Forum List

Back