I’m so old that

th

LOL

Gee Ward, you were really hard on the beaver last night.

I'm not old enough to remember that, but I can remember when gas hit $1 a gallon, and everyone reacted like it was the apocalypse.

One thing I particularly remember is that it created an issue because some gas pumps were not equipped to price gasoline that high. A few stations, that came to my attention, changed to selling gas by the liter rather than the gallon, so that the unit price would be within the less-than-a-dollar range to which their pumps were able to be set. It created quite a bit of confusion for customers, because we have always been and always will be accustomed to buying gasoline by the gallon, not the liter.

I am so old (84 or in my 85th year) that I remember:

1. When you could walk down the street without the fear of being sucker punched.

2. When you could ride public transportation without the fear of being robbed -- or killed.

3. When bad people did NOT dare enter the nice parts of town.

4. When San Francisco (and Baltimore and Minneapolis and Chicago and ...) were peaceful and orderly cities.

I am so old (84 or in my 85th year) that I remember:

1. When you could walk down the street without the fear of being sucker punched.

2. When you could ride public transportation without the fear of being robbed -- or killed.

3. When bad people did NOT dare enter the nice parts of town.

4. When San Francisco (and Baltimore and Minneapolis and Chicago and ...) were peaceful and orderly cities.
Yeah, I can remember when women put on hats and white gloves and went downtown to shop.

We'd get killed or mugged by blacks if we went downtown today --- and there are no stores, they all closed.

Mpls skyline when I was a kid...
71272398a6feaa0a36cdcf78f2db434c.jpg

The Foshay tower was the tallest structure in the midwest west of Chicago at 27 stories...
Mpls today...
5xiovg.jpg

Can you see the Foshay?
All them buildings in the first picture are now in the shadows of the glass towers.
The new towers with the angular lines and glass look really stunning at sunrise and sunset.

Last edited:
I’m so old, it no longer surprises me when I go to google something and by the time it opens, I’ve forgotten what I was going to look up.

In a similar vein, I have literally gone looking for my reading glasses through several rooms only to find them on top of my head OR, worse yet, literally ON my nose.

I remember kids showing off their pocket knives in school and no one thought anything of it.

Since the age of ten or so, perhaps even a bit younger, I have rarely left home without at least one pocketknife on me. I've always considered a knife of some sort or another to be perhaps the singular most useful and important tool to have with me at all times, and rarely does a day pass where I do not have several occasions to need to use a knife for something. In my elementary school days, I think it was pretty much something that every boy had, and was expected to have.

By the time I was in high school, the world was changing, such that it was considered wrong considered illegal, for a student to possess anything on school grounds that could be considered a weapon, including any kind of knife. Still I always had at least a pocket knife, and often also a stencil knife (a tool I needed for some of the classes I took) and everyone knew I had them. It was not uncommon for someone, a teacher or a fellow student, else to ask me to cut something or perform some task that required a knife, because everyone knew that I had at least one.

Now, we get stories of students being punished for eating a Pop Tart into a gun-like shape, or drawing a picture of a gun. I've even heard of a case of a deaf student, whose sign-language form of his name involved a hand position that resembles the “gun gesture, and he was punished for that; and forbidden from expressing his own name in sign language.

Our pussified society is developing a irrational fear and revulsion of anything that can be connected with the concept of a weapon, and at the same time, we are producing larger parts of our population that fail to develop into human beings, and instead develop into subhuman criminal filth.

Since the age of ten or so, perhaps even a bit younger, I have rarely left home without at least one pocketknife on me. I've always considered a knife of some sort or another to be perhaps the singular most useful and important tool to have with me at all times, and rarely does a day pass where I do not have several occasions to need to use a knife for something. In my elementary school days, I think it was pretty much something that every boy had, and was expected to have.

By the time I was in high school, the world was changing, such that it was considered wrong considered illegal, for a student to possess anything on school grounds that could be considered a weapon, including any kind of knife. Still I always had at least a pocket knife, and often also a stencil knife (a tool I needed for some of the classes I took) and everyone knew I had them. It was not uncommon for someone, a teacher or a fellow student, else to ask me to cut something or perform some task that required a knife, because everyone knew that I had at least one.

Now, we get stories of students being punished for eating a Pop Tart into a gun-like shape, or drawing a picture of a gun. I've even heard of a case of a deaf student, whose sign-language form of his name involved a hand position that resembles the “gun gesture, and he was punished for that; and forbidden from expressing his own name in sign language.

Our pussified society is developing a irrational fear and revulsion of anything that can be connected with the concept of a weapon, and at the same time, we are producing larger parts of our population that fail to develop into human beings, and instead develop into subhuman criminal filth.

When I'm fully assembled for work, I usually have all of these on my person, among various other stuff…

ZSC_0316_1K.jpg

Forum List

Back