I’m old enough to remember when the Democrats were the party of the “working man”

You can’t make this shit up. The party that claims to be for the “working man” actually brokered a CBA that doesn’t give workers even a single paid sick day.
Under a White House-brokered contract that major rail unions have recently voted to reject, rail workers would not receive a single paid sick day.
And they did so in the era of COVID. Unfuckingbelievable.

The 7 paid sick days provision failed in the senate because republicans voted against it.
Good, fuck the unions and their WAAAYYY overpriced salaries. If they werent raking us over the coals for their inflated salaries, maybe they would get paid for sick days. They want a kings ransom plus get paid while NOT working? Nah, fuck them.

Yep, my parents voted dem till Nixon in '68.

Humphrey was just a bridge too far and the dems have went downhill since.

LOL.....It still hard to fathom that TX went for Humphrey.....I suspect it was a close thing with Wallace in the race.

220px-ElectoralCollege1968.svg.png

Likewise here, remembering when Democrats were that labor party. I recall the Democratic convention of 1972. The "Ohio passes" convention in which the new guard took over from the old. Where the divide between the factions delayed McGovern's acceptance speech until the wee hours of the morning. It was the last political convention worth viewing as all subsequent ones are so well scripted.

LOL.....It still hard to fathom that TX went for Humphrey.....I suspect it was a close thing with Wallace in the race.

They`ve gone so far downhill that they won the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 presidential elections. Without the Electoral College, you would have nothing. Was J6 a proud day for the GOP?

Likewise here, remembering when Democrats were that labor party. I recall the Democratic convention of 1972. The "Ohio passes" convention in which the new guard took over from the old. Where the divide between the factions delayed McGovern's acceptance speech until the wee hours of the morning. It was the last political convention worth viewing as all subsequent ones are so well scripted.

Actually, the Democrats realized the radicals taking over the convention in 1972 was a disaster, when they threw out Dick Daley leading the Illinois delegation and replaced them with Jesse Jackson.

Which is why they have the superdelegate rule after that.

If you look at it from brass tacks, the Republicans are the party of the Investor Class, and the Democrats are the party of the working class.

The problem being, that line has kind of blurred in recent years, as more and more of us have become both investors and workers.

But the real trick the GOP has pulled since Nixon is that they've played on the racial, religious, and sexual fears of white working people to get them to vote against their own economic interests.

Take away my union job, but I don't want darkies moving in next door!

Take away my worker's protections, but I don't want some queer openly flaunting it.

Take away my pension and replace it with a 401K that I have little control over, but I don't want teachers telling my kid he evolved from an ape!

So you had the white working man clinging to his gun and his bible... despite the best efforts of Democrats to reach them.

Remember the good ol' days when the Dems said "don't trust the man" & "make love, not war"?
Those days are long gone.
Mow it's all "do as your told" & "let's support the corrupt fascists in Ukraine & try to drag our country into a war with Russia".

The whiplash from the abrupt 180 & circular logic may have caused brain damage.
Now they are all full of clot shots too. Poor sheeple didn't even give themselves a chance

Lots of rich irony coming from conservatives who pretty much hate unions -- all of them except maybe police unions -- and then have the nerve to complain that Dems didn't go far enough to protect unionized workers when everyone knows they'd be the firstest and loudest to bitch about inflation and supply shortages if the unions actually went on with a strike.

Personally, I agree that the rail workers should have been allowed to strike. We could cause a recession and then see where people stand. I suspect, though, that since most people in this country are selfish idiots, they'd side with the executives who are getting record pay while most of the rest of us have jobs with sick leave. Congress has basically unlimited sick leave - and what other job allows you to skip your actual work (voting) whenever you feel like but still get paid?

Poodle, it's fun to watch you pretend you care about working people.

If they were striking on Trump's watch, you'd be for shooting them.
The hundreds of billions of dollars of fiat currency money the Prog Political middlemen legislated to the railroads enabled the railroad employees to be more demanding.

I’m old enough to remember when the Democrats were the party of the “working man”​

I'm also old enough to remember when demoncrats were..

Anti-establishment
Anti-war
Anti-communist
Anti-monopoly
Anti-corporatist
Reflexively distrustful of the police state
Reflexively in favor of civil disobedience
Vehemently pro free speech
Vehemently pro due process
Vehemently pro 4th Amendment

Nowhere to be found today...They've turned into everything they claimed to loathe.

Humphrey would be called a far right, white supremacist, religious nutbar, reactionary by today's moonbat left.

Forum List

Back