I'm hearing that the great ammo panic is back

What used to be common hunting calibers like .30-30 and .35 Remington are double the cost of say five years ago, $2.00 a round for the premium stuff. Maybe it just a change in taste as 6.5 Creedmoor is everywhere.

I know the major manufactures are only making .35 Remington about every three years now and .30-30 every two years. .35 Rem. is sold out in most places now.

My go-to for factory ammo.

I suspect that...as personal ammunition stockpiling has increased, there has been a corresponding contraction in the demand for "exotic" chambered ammo. Why buy 30-30 of 35 Rem when you can use 30-06 or 308 to do everything 30-30 and 35 Rem can do...plus have a range of far beyond 100-200 yards? Am I going to buy 17HMR...or 22LR? Well...22LR is a hell of alot cheaper and while it doesn't go as far or as fast...it gets the job done for rabbit or squirrel.

See what I'm saying?

I suspect that...as personal ammunition stockpiling has increased, there has been a corresponding contraction in the demand for "exotic" chambered ammo. Why buy 30-30 of 35 Rem when you can use 30-06 or 308 to do everything 30-30 and 35 Rem can do...plus have a range of far beyond 100-200 yards? Am I going to buy 17HMR...or 22LR? Well...22LR is a hell of alot cheaper and while it doesn't go as far or as fast...it gets the job done for rabbit or squirrel.

See what I'm saying?
I get it, the proliferation of cheap (but sound) hunting rifles like the Savage Axis have taken the place of the old lever action for deer hunting.

Hell I can easily get $800 for a used Winchester post-64 .30-30 in decent shape.

Catch them on sale at the Rural King and you could buy two Axis combo rifles with scopes and ammo for that.

Fortunately I was in a position to stock up on ammo when it was cheap. I have enough ammo to last me the rest of my life doing my recreational shooting every week and have good amount left over for a SHTF situation so I don't really worry about fluctuations in ammo prices.

Back before Sandy Hook and the Obama panic I bought a lot of factory ammo when the price was cheap. I also bought a Dillon 1050 and loaded a lot of my own. Back then reloading components were dirt cheap.

The thing about having firearms is that the firearms are nothing more than paper weights without ammo. The day before SHTF is the last day you will be able to buy ammo. If the SHTF then the buildup to it will even probably make ammo unobtainium.

I keep telling my younger shooting friends that but it is like they don't want to hear it. They would rather spend their money on other things and then they complain that they can't build up a stockpile because of the high cost.

I remember the good old days at the gun shows where you could get 1,000 rds of Wolf steel for $99 or 1,000 rd of brass Lake City for $150. 500 rds of LC .308 was $150.

At least I don't have such a tiny dick I feel the need to call myself "lord long rod".
Always talking about other men's dicks. He must be trying to tell us something. How strange these leftists are...

I get it, the proliferation of cheap (but sound) hunting rifles like the Savage Axis have taken the place of the old lever action for deer hunting.

Hell I can easily get $800 for a used Winchester post-64 .30-30 in decent shape.

Catch them on sale at the Rural King and you could buy two Axis combo rifles with scopes and ammo for that.

That too...but we've seen this before even in lever actions.

Try buying some 32-20 WCF for example.

SG Ammo has 12,000 orders to fill and their sites says they’re 4-5 days deep in processing. Ammo is getting like oil. As soon as a fistfight breaks out in the Middle East, up goes the barrel - justified or not.....A election season does not help.

Meh, I learned my lesson during the Obama panic......I recently inventoried my ammo lockers and decided I need to double the amount of ammo I bring on each range trip, or I'll never use it all up in my lifetime. ;)

Still.....

7C44FB8D-438D-4E2A-9DA3-B6026D09F908-2425929.jpg

....You just never know.
First aid supplies, and medical training. You're far more likely to have need of it in an emergency. And in the more likely emergencies that life throws at us; it will make you far more useful, and therefore valuable...

What used to be common hunting calibers like .30-30 and .35 Remington are double the cost of say five years ago, $2.00 a round for the premium stuff. Maybe it just a change in taste as 6.5 Creedmoor is everywhere.

I know the major manufactures are only making .35 Remington about every three years now and .30-30 every two years. .35 Rem. is sold out in most places now.

My go-to for factory ammo.

6.5 Creedmoor is on the outs, that's why it is everywhere

Huh? Why? I ask because I just won an Axis in this cal at the church raffle. Wasn't this supposed to be the .308 killer?
I don't know why, to be honest. It's a good caliber, but for some reason people are shying away from it.

Forum List

Back