If you require providers to accept pre-existing conditions, it's not insurance any more

I have Medicare and tricare for life...plus I'm pretty health so I don't pay much attention to health care programs. Recently I had cataract surgery in both eyes. I finally opened up the Medicare statement. That doc who did the work charged about ten thousand dollars. Medicare paid him about 1500. Haven't gotten the tricare statement...but I think they cover 25% of what Medicare allows. So bottom line the doc wants 10000... he gets about 2000.... makes you wonder why docs accept Medicare...

BTW -- insurance companies are making more money than every under the ACA. Ask anyone who owns stock in them.

Insurance lobbyists will fight any attempt at repealing without replacing with a viable option that benefits them.

Although I understood the mandate argument -- if Insurance Co.s have to take everyone then we should get more people to sign up -- however, if we open the books on these billion dollar corps, we'd see that they can still turn a profit without the mandate.

Insurance Co's bread and butter are group policies and plans which take all employees--and pre-existing doesn't factor.

[

Nope, you have confirmed that the republican's newfound populism was all a sham. Now go kiss that billionaire ass like republicans always have done.

Tell the Republicans that now control The House, The Senate and The Presidency that their popularity is somehow a sham. They will laugh at you Moon Bat.

The billionaires are the ones that backed Crooked Hillary along with foreign countries. Everybody from Soros, to Steyer, to the Limousine Hollywood Libtards to the Wall St executives that gave Crooked Hillary $600K, for a stupid speech to the King of Saudi Arabia, just to mention a few.

I am sorry to be the one that informs you of this but most Americans thinks Obamacare sucks donkey dicks, especially with the recent rise in cost. Trump was elected to abolish it. The only people that really likes it are the greedy welfare queens getting the subsidies.

Live with it. We had to live with that asshole Obama passing the damn thing along party lines back when he had a majority of filthy ass Democrats in Congress. Karma is a bitch, isn't it?
Only a total psycho would have revenge fantasies involving cutting people off from their health insurance. I guess as long as you picture the mythical welfare queen getting the rug pulled out from under them it's OK? I am sorry to be the one to inform you of this: If republicans even touch ACA they will then be the ones holding the bag. You ready to defend the sure failure of "Trumpcare"?

I have Medicare and tricare for life...plus I'm pretty health so I don't pay much attention to health care programs. Recently I had cataract surgery in both eyes. I finally opened up the Medicare statement. That doc who did the work charged about ten thousand dollars. Medicare paid him about 1500. Haven't gotten the tricare statement...but I think they cover 25% of what Medicare allows. So bottom line the doc wants 10000... he gets about 2000.... makes you wonder why docs accept Medicare...

2000 dollars is a fair price for that procedure.

Hospitals and docs starting pricing services the way airlines do -- they sell seats for as much as they can.

$100 for a single x-ray covers their labor, materials, at a modest profit, but $1500 for the same x-ray--why not?

Somewhere along the way, health care become way too profit driven.

I'd like to see us move toward a model in which doctors are paid according to the health and well-being of their patients. As is done in every other modern industrial country in the world.

It's more like a plain health care payment co-op or commune, where all money is put into a pool and doled out as needed.

Nothing wrong with that (well, see below), but you should call it what it is rather than pretend it's "insurance".

Insurance is something that protects against huge losses by, when a person incurs a huge loss, pays for it out of a pool of money all its customers have paid in. It signs in clients based on the idea that none of them have huge problems at present, but a few might incur them later. If they can restrict their new clientele to just people who presently have nothing wrong with them, their costs will be lower. And they can compete successfully for customers.

If, however, they are required to take in people who have a pre-existing condition, they must (a) charge the people with pre-existing conditions a much higher premium since they are guaranteed to need much higher payouts up front; or (b) charge EVERYONE higher premiums to cover the pre-existing conditions, leaving most of them wondering why their premiums went up so much when they didn't get any sicker. (Sound familiar, Obamacare subjects?). And in a competitive world, most people will opt for the companies with lower premiums: Those that don't accept people with pre-existing conditions.

Companies that don't accept people with pre-existing conditions, are the only ones that can compete or even survive in a normal world of sovereign citizens. Healthy people (that's most of them) will leave the companies that accept the pre-existing conditions, and go instead to those who don't, because they get the same service for less paid in premiums. That leaves the companies that accept pre-existing conditions, with ONLY the people who already have expensive maladies or injuries, and their costs will soar as they pay for high-priced care for ALL their remaining customers.

If a company accepts pre-existing conditions, it's not "insurance". It's simply a co-op for people with problems. No one else will want to be a part of it, and the companies know they CANNOT survive without those usually-healthy people.

If you want to set up a company that accepts pre-existing, fine, go ahead. But don't pretend it's "insurance". Nothing could be further from the truth.

Well, when you get a little older and smarter, you will realized the advantages of pooling risks across ages and health conditions. Do you want us to return to the days of Soup Nazi insurance providers before Obamacare?

My God you are an idiot.

Pooling "risks" and pooling the expenses of pre-existing conditions have nothing in common. Risks are ex-ante, costs are ex-post. You don't know anything about insurance at all

Hospitals and docs starting pricing services the way airlines do -- they sell seats for as much as they can.

$100 for a single x-ray covers their labor, materials, at a modest profit, but $1500 for the same x-ray--why not?

I'd like to see us move toward a model in which doctors are paid according to the health and well-being of their patients. As is done in every other modern industrial country in the world.
Exactly, rising costs are the direct result of suits trying to extract wealth from misery and want.

Exactly, rising costs are the direct result of suits trying to extract wealth from misery and want.

But government does it out of the goodness of their hearts. Your hypocrisy has no shame

[

Only a total psycho would have revenge fantasies involving cutting people off from their health insurance. I guess as long as you picture the mythical welfare queen getting the rug pulled out from under them it's OK? I am sorry to be the one to inform you of this: If republicans even touch ACA they will then be the ones holding the bag. You ready to defend the sure failure of "Trumpcare"?

Only a greedy asshole would support using the oppressive force of government to steal money from the people that earn it and giving it away to the welfare queens.

You pay your bills and I will pay mine. That is fair, isn't it? However, you being a greedy Moon Bat don't think it is fair. You think you are somehow entitled to me being forced to pay your bills simply because you are alive.

There is only one reason for assured health care for all. One needs to care about people first and money no more than second.

Forum List

Back