If You Believe in Abortion You Are Not Catholic And Cannot Take Communion

Does this apply to the Death Penalty as well? The Catholic Church's position on life is unimpeachable.
The death penalty is applied to individuals who consciously murdered. An unborn baby is innocent.
The death penalty runs contrary to Catholic doctrine. Should those that support it be denied communion as well? Or does that not count cause reasons?
I'm good with that, their church, their rules. If that is the doctrine, then why would anyone want to be in that church if you don't agree on fundamentals?

I would reject your communion in a heartbeat. Yeah that would be the heartbeat of the child you want to MURDER!

That is so ridiculous.

I went to a catholic school for one year. I was a very devout christian but wasn't baptized catholic. I was baptized Methodist and was a very active member in the church and youth group. My parents were Sunday school teachers.

I took communion at the Methodist church and other churches I attended such a Lutheran and Unitarian and others. All those churches only required a person to baptized to take communion. It doesn't matter what church or faith they were baptized to take communion.

Except the Catholic Church.

I didn't know I wasn't allowed to take communion at a school church service. I just joined everyone else.

Then all hell broke loose.

I got in so much trouble for taking communion because I wasn't baptized catholic. My parents had to go to the school to talk with the priest and principal about it so I could continue to go to that school.

So the Catholic Church not allowing someone to take communion because they are pro choice isn't anything new to me.

The Catholic Church has been discriminating against all those who aren't catholic for a very long time.

If I was a pro choice catholic, I would quickly leave the church.
Certainly no defender of the Church of Rome, but in this case it isn't discrimination against, it is discrimination between. It's their rules and they who decide what a Roman Catholic is, in contrast to those who do not conform to that profile.

I would reject your communion in a heartbeat. Yeah that would be the heartbeat of the child you want to MURDER!

That is so ridiculous.

I went to a catholic school for one year. I was a very devout christian but wasn't baptized catholic. I was baptized Methodist and was a very active member in the church and youth group. My parents were Sunday school teachers.

I took communion at the Methodist church and other churches I attended such a Lutheran and Unitarian and others. All those churches only required a person to baptized to take communion. It doesn't matter what church or faith they were baptized to take communion.

Except the Catholic Church.

I didn't know I wasn't allowed to take communion at a school church service. I just joined everyone else.

Then all hell broke loose.

I got in so much trouble for taking communion because I wasn't baptized catholic. My parents had to go to the school to talk with the priest and principal about it so I could continue to go to that school.

So the Catholic Church not allowing someone to take communion because they are pro choice isn't anything new to me.

The Catholic Church has been discriminating against all those who aren't catholic for a very long time.

If I was a pro choice catholic, I would quickly leave the church.
Certainly no defender of the Church of Rome, but in this case it isn't discrimination against, it is discrimination between. It's their rules and they who decide what a Roman Catholic is, in contrast to those who do not conform to that profile.
Well, it's more than reasonable for a Catholic to believe in religious freedom.

Writing religiously based laws against a religiously diverse population is not how our government is supposed to work.

We were founded as a religiously plural nation.

And, let's face the fact that the majority of Americans are NOT interested in abortion being illegal.

BTW, abortion is not the only legal realm where the RCC has religiously based opposition to existing law.

Catholics are largely split on abortion.

Have fun arguing who the “true Catholics” are.
No we are not. Either you're all in or all out?

I was raised Catholic. As an Agnostic, I'm a recovering Catholic.

I find abortion to be an absolutely abhorrent practice. I would never suggest someone get one, except in extreme cases of rape, incest, health of the mother, etc.

That said, I absolutely support a woman's right to choose, or not choose, an abortion. I don't have to like her decision, nor do I have to agree with it.

I do not support abortion at all, but I support choice 100%.

I do not my beliefs should supersede anyone else's, especially when the resistance to it is based almost entirely on a person's religious beliefs...

If God came down and said abortion was a nothing thing and it made no matter to him I would still be 100% pro-life because I believe no one has the right to take the life of another outside of direct self defense.

Would you respect everyone else's view that isn't the same as yours or would you want abortion outlawed?

I find abortion to be an absolutely abhorrent practice. I would never suggest someone get one, except in extreme cases of rape, incest, health of the mother, etc.

That said, I absolutely support a woman's right to choose, or not choose, an abortion. I don't have to like her decision, nor do I have to agree with it.

I do not my beliefs should supersede anyone else's, especially when the resistance to it is based almost entirely on a person's religious beliefs...

If God came down and said abortion was a nothing thing and it made no matter to him I would still be 100% pro-life because I believe no one has the right to take the life of another outside of direct self defense.

Would you respect everyone else's view that isn't the same as yours or would you want abortion outlawed?
I respect the courts decision and a woman's choice, however I dislike how they water down the taking of a life. Do it if you want, but realize from a scientific stand point it is the taking of a life.

Irrelevant. Abortion is never going to be outlawed so I support things that would help women choose to not have an abortion. Health care. day care. education, a higher minimum wage. etc .

People are not going to stop having abortions.

Irrelevant. Abortion is never going to be outlawed so I support things that would help women choose to not have an abortion. Health care. day care. education, a higher minimum wage. etc .

I know they aren't. However it can become illegal. Then countless women will go to back alley abortionists. Some will die. Some will be left infertile for life.

No one that I know of likes abortion.

I do know many women who have had one and most of them were for health or life reasons. I know people who's lives were saved by having an abortion.

A person can not like abortion and still support choice. I'm that person. I don't like abortion but I believe in choice. It's not my place or the government's place or a complete stranger's place to tell anyone what they can or can't do with their own body.

So while I don't like abortion and like you advocate for measures to prevent it being necessary, I don't want any law that will take that choice from a woman.

Can you please answer my question. Would you want abortion made illegal? I'm not asking you what will happen after it became illegal. I'm asking you if you want abortion to be illegal.

Can you please answer that?

I know they aren't. However it can become illegal. Then countless women will go to back alley abortionists. Some will die. Some will be left infertile for life.

No one that I know of likes abortion.

I do know many women who have had one and most of them were for health or life reasons. I know people who's lives were saved by having an abortion.

A person can not like abortion and still support choice. I'm that person. I don't like abortion but I believe in choice. It's not my place or the government's place or a complete stranger's place to tell anyone what they can or can't do with their own body.

So while I don't like abortion and like you advocate for measures to prevent it being necessary, I don't want any law that will take that choice from a woman.

Can you please answer my question. Would you want abortion made illegal? I'm not asking you what will happen after it became illegal. I'm asking you if you want abortion to be illegal.

Can you please answer that?

Abortion is never going to be made illegal. There may be additional restrictions like the ban on late term abortions which I supported but I don't see the wisdom of laws that are not going to actually address the issue.

Guns, drugs, abortion, immigration, we aren't really going to do anything about any of them.

Does this apply to the Death Penalty as well? The Catholic Church's position on life is unimpeachable.
The death penalty is applied to individuals who consciously murdered. An unborn baby is innocent.

Not true.
At least 10% of those convicted and face the death penalty are innocent.
And an unborn baby most certainly can not be innocent because child birth is always painful and dangerous to the mother.
The fact the baby has no choice, does not at all imply innocence.

I believe allowing the owner of the baby factory the choice to terminate a developing fetus as opposed to forcing her to bring a new life into the world, and the science to safely do that, while persevering the baby factory for future use, sets us apart from all the other animals in natures kingdom.
Phooey! Babies are not made in a factory, asshat. Beyond that insanity, calling a woman a 'baby factory' reflects your low regard for good men and women having children and raising families.

Stripping a woman’s right to decide when and if to have a baby, reduces her to a baby factory.

A gestating fetus is not a “baby”. Furthermore you have still not addressed the actual issue of why women have abortions in the first place. You have no universal healthcare. You have no mandated maternity leave or job security for pregnant women. You have the highest rate of maternal death in childbirth an infant mortality in the first year of life, in the first world.

When you care about living breathing people, as much as you care about the unborn, you can complain about abortion.

But it’s still a woman’s right to choose and it always will be. You either make it legal or women will go to illegal abortion providers.
The courts have ruled that women have a right to an abortion, I'm good with that. However don't cheapen or dismiss the life of the unborn just so you can feel better about it.

I’m not the one who is cheapening life here. You cheap in the lives of women who are forced to make these financial decisions because of the failure of your government to provide any sort of basic encouragement for them to have babies.

No maternity leave. No family leave. No universal healthcare. The abortion rate in Canada is half that of the USA and abortions are free here and easily obtained.

Abortion in Canada is a matter between a woman and her doctor and it’s paid for by our government funded healthcare. We have mandated maternity leave. We have job security for pregnant women. We have universal healthcare for both woman and her baby paid for by our taxes.

If you want to save “innocent lives”, ypu could start with maternity leaves, and subsidized daycare. All the shit that Republicans are refusing to pass right now.

Stripping a woman’s right to decide when and if to have a baby, reduces her to a baby factory.
Really? What a completely inane statement. That presumes all sex is rape.

What a completely asinine statement! It certainly does not presume that all pregnancy is the result of rape. What is presumed that sex has other good and valid purposes, other than procreation.

You cannot be pro life and pro death penalty. If you are pro life you oppose war, the death penalty, and you oppose abortion. This isn’t a self-service buffet. You don’t get to choose who’s life is more worthwhile

The death penalty runs contrary to Catholic doctrine. Should those that support it be denied communion as well? Or does that not count cause reasons?
I dunno, ask the Pope.
I am asking you. Should Catholics that support the death penalty be denied communion as well?
I am not familiar with Catholic dogma, the Pope is the one you need to ask. Stop stalking me.

While changing back and forth a few times, in general Catholic dogma was that abortion was legal for the first 180 days, before the fetus had a soul.
The hard line of Catholics these days did not happen until 1869.

You cannot be pro life and pro death penalty. If you are pro life you oppose war, the death penalty, and you oppose abortion. This isn’t a self-service buffet. You don’t get to choose who’s life is more worthwhile

IMO no one has the right to take the life of another outside of direct self defense.

Sorry I don't use your meanings.

What a completely asinine statement! It certainly does not presume that all pregnancy is the result of rape. What is presumed that sex has other good and valid purposes, other than procreation.
Reread your original statement "stripping a woman's right to decide when and if to have a baby" IMO that presumes sex is nothing but rape. Maybe reword it because it is a bit hysterical. Most women who get abortions decided to have sex and decided to risk having a baby then decided to kill it. Perhaps the problem with women who let themselves be inseminated and with men who don't give a shit. The problem, IMO is the promotion of irresponsible behavior.

Forum List

Back