If the Constitution was written today...what would be different?

They can’t admit what their Constitution would look like…they would have to expose their distain for America at it’s core.
I am interested to see what Candy, or any other liberal democrat in here can come up with from scratch, like the founders though, and in the process learning how extremely hard it is/was to create that document....

I am interested to see what Candy, or any other liberal democrat in here can come up with from scratch, like the founders though, and in the process learning how extremely hard it is/was to create that document....
Constructing the document was one thing….making sure it had/has eternal viability, that’s the WOW factor.

Well, since the thread is proposing what a constitution would look like today, as if the country was a new proposal, then let's try and stick with a document from scratch...

Ahh... I'd keep almost everything the same. But here are some things I'd add in.

I'd have much more detailed rules for Congress so--for example-- scumbags like Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell, Nancy Pelosi or Paul Ryan couldn't just kill bills without a floor vote. If the House passes a bill, the Senate has to vote on it. Filibusters would have the effect of shutting down all governmental business. Nothing gets voted on until the filibuster is either lifted or abandoned. The last congress had over 300 filibusters. U.S. Senate: Cloture Motions
This would really help hold lawmaker's feet to the fire. The defense bill that just got signed by your President Biden...that wouldn't have been voted on if a bill before it was still being filibustered.

Thats just one example but we need to put a lot more rules about congressional behavior in the Constitution--it's the only rulebook that both sides listen to (sort of).

I'd have age limits for law makers and federal judges. Call it 75 or 80.

I'd have a plank that standardized voting rules across the nation. Guaranteed vote by mail, guaranteed early in-person voting.

I'd get rid of the ridiculous back-office process we have after a general election. We vote in early November, the electors meet in Mid December, and Congress counts the electoral votes in January. That is absolutely ridiculous. All of it has to be wrapped up by December 1.

I'd have it in the Constitution that every cabinet level office (and others) must make office space available for a new administration starting on December 2. This means that the Secretary of Veteran's Affairs (for example) has to "open the books" to representatives of the incoming administration.

I'd have a scheduled constitutional convention every 50 years or so. Amendments can be proposed and sent to the States and the states have to consider the amendment and their legislature has to have an up or down vote within six months.

I'd get rid of the presidential pardon and have a 3 judge panel of the Most senior, Most Junior and a third Supreeme Court Justice decide on all pardons. Pardons can be requested by anyone who petitions the court for a pardon and the ones that pass that triage get considered four times a year--once per quarter except in the last year of a presidential term. Meaning that there are no more midnight pardons on the way out the door.

There are a few others but coffee is on. Thanks.

Gee, now I wonder if someone else will actually take some time and write what they truly feel should be added in as opposed to what we've seen so far.

Ahh... I'd keep almost everything the same. But here are some things I'd add in.

I'd have much more detailed rules for Congress so--for example-- scumbags like Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell, Nancy Pelosi or Paul Ryan couldn't just kill bills without a floor vote. If the House passes a bill, the Senate has to vote on it. Filibusters would have the effect of shutting down all governmental business. Nothing gets voted on until the filibuster is either lifted or abandoned. The last congress had over 300 filibusters. U.S. Senate: Cloture Motions
This would really help hold lawmaker's feet to the fire. The defense bill that just got signed by your President Biden...that wouldn't have been voted on if a bill before it was still being filibustered.

Thats just one example but we need to put a lot more rules about congressional behavior in the Constitution--it's the only rulebook that both sides listen to (sort of).

I'd have a plank that standardized voting rules across the nation. Guaranteed vote by mail, guaranteed early in-person voting.

I'd get rid of the ridiculous back-office process we have after a general election. We vote in early November, the electors meet in Mid December, and Congress counts the electoral votes in January. That is absolutely ridiculous. All of it has to be wrapped up by December 1.

I'd have it in the Constitution that every cabinet level office (and others) must make office space available for a new administration starting on December 2. This means that the Secretary of Veteran's Affairs (for example) has to "open the books" to representatives of the incoming administration.

I'd have a scheduled constitutional convention every 50 years or so. Amendments can be proposed and sent to the States and the states have to consider the amendment and their legislature has to have an up or down vote within six months.

I'd get rid of the presidential pardon and have a 3 judge panel of the Most senior, Most Junior and a third Supreeme Court Justice decide on all pardons. Pardons can be requested by anyone who petitions the court for a pardon and the ones that pass that triage get considered four times a year--once per quarter except in the last year of a presidential term. Meaning that there are no more midnight pardons on the way out the door.

Gee, now I wonder if someone else will actually take some time and write what they truly feel should be added in as opposed to what we've seen so far.

Good luck figuring out all the possible ways Asshats in the Legislative body your Constitutions may create
are going to use to do what they should never have considered to do in the first place in order to gain power ... :thup:

It's not the "second greatest document ever written". Unless you consider the Magna Carta the first. Because your Constitution has it's foundation in the Magna Carta.

And the USA is not the greatest nation the world has ever known. Richest - yes. Most powerful - undoubtedly. But a truly great nation in the 21st Century isn't built on racism, exploitation of the working classes, and denying rights to minorities. They don't have more people in prison than any other nation in the world, and their police are murdering people in the streets.

The greatest nation the world has ever known would be the Roman Empire, and until you rule the world for 1000 years, you're not even in second place. You haven't even existed for 300 years and you're on the brink of your second civil war, and your democracy is hanging by a thread.

Greatest nation the world has ever seen. Pfffffffffffffft!!!
One thing is for sure, it it were written today there would be zero input from morons like you.

Well, thank you for posting something we can talk about, and putting the thought into articulating your thoughts...There's a lot there, so I'll have to break it up and it will take a while to respond...

1. "I'd have much more detailed rules for Congress so--for example-- scumbags like Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell, Nancy Pelosi or Paul Ryan couldn't just kill bills without a floor vote. If the House passes a bill, the Senate has to vote on it. Filibusters would have the effect of shutting down all governmental business. Nothing gets voted on until the filibuster is either lifted or abandoned."

My thought is "the filibuster was created to protect the voice of the minority – to make sure that one party did not have unilateral rule over every decision. To slow down the process and force debate on important changes in policy. The filibuster sets the Senate apart. In the House of Representatives, it is all about majority rule." The Senate is not supposed to be a blank check for the party in power...And there is nothing wrong with that...But I would say that if the minority is going to enact a filibuster, then they should have to take the floor and make their case using the original rules of a filibuster such as speaking until they give up the floor, or come to an agreement....Right now the intent is simply to block legislation, where as the original intent was only to slow things down to consider, and allow time to negotiate....Returning to that would still allow for a vote, but doing away with it altogether would be a huge mistake...

This one is sure to fire up some folks...Consider the following:
The Constitution was written in 1787 when the countries total population was just shy of 4 million, 3 million of which were Caucasian.
Considering the makeup of today's U.S. Citizen and the dynamics of the world how different would it have been written?
Don't be scared to engage in this one.
My suggestions:

• Do away with the General Welfare clause. It has been bastardized beyond belief.
  • More specifically lay out the very few responsibilities of the Fed Govt, and include severe penalties for every member of Govt that exceeds those limitations.
  • Term limits for Congress
  • Balanced budget requirement.

Those are what I have off the top of my head.

My suggestions:

• Do away with the General Welfare clause. It has been bastardized beyond belief.
  • More specifically lay out the very few responsibilities of the Fed Govt, and include severe penalties for every member of Govt that exceeds those limitations.
  • Term limits for Congress
  • Balanced budget requirement.

Those are what I have off the top of my head.
What about the 14th….allowing the worlds worse to steal citizenships from the American people is straight-up ignorance to the nth degree.

The Constitution was written in 1787 when the countries total population was just shy of 4 million, 3 million of which were Caucasian.
Considering the makeup of today's U.S. Citizen and the dynamics of the world how different would it have been written?
The point I've made on various American forums is that, the US codified constitution was great for it's time, for it's culture and laws. And these change in time.

In the UK, the Magna Carta in 1215 started the process of the King using a parliament, it's constitution being uncodified. So the UK's constitution is made up of various documents in various places. This allows it to be updated as society progresses.

America's constitution is stuck in the dark ages, it needs radically overhauled to bring it up to the 21st century.

Continued response to Candy...

2. "I'd have age limits for law makers and federal judges. Call it 75 or 80."

I fully agree...One of the biggest obstacles in our current government today is that too many dinosaurs are hanging on well past their prime, including Judges...Also the politicizing of our judicial system...I would propose that any judge making decisions based on political concerns be immediately removed from the bench...

3. "I'd have a plank that standardized voting rules across the nation. Guaranteed vote by mail, guaranteed early in-person voting."

Absolutely not...Keep the governing of voting rules and procedures at the state level...The Federal government should be kept as limited as possible...Remember power like a pendulum swings from party to party...What you think sounds great now, you will hate when your political opponents retain the power...

Well, thank you for posting something we can talk about, and putting the thought into articulating your thoughts...There's a lot there, so I'll have to break it up and it will take a while to respond...

1. "I'd have much more detailed rules for Congress so--for example-- scumbags like Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell, Nancy Pelosi or Paul Ryan couldn't just kill bills without a floor vote. If the House passes a bill, the Senate has to vote on it. Filibusters would have the effect of shutting down all governmental business. Nothing gets voted on until the filibuster is either lifted or abandoned."

My thought is "the filibuster was created to protect the voice of the minority – to make sure that one party did not have unilateral rule over every decision. To slow down the process and force debate on important changes in policy. The filibuster sets the Senate apart. In the House of Representatives, it is all about majority rule." The Senate is not supposed to be a blank check for the party in power...And there is nothing wrong with that...But I would say that if the minority is going to enact a filibuster, then they should have to take the floor and make their case using the original rules of a filibuster such as speaking until they give up the floor, or come to an agreement....Right now the intent is simply to block legislation, where as the original intent was only to slow things down to consider, and allow time to negotiate....Returning to that would still allow for a vote, but doing away with it altogether would be a huge mistake...

And I thank you for a reasoned response. I'm sure it drives the OP nuts!

I can get with you on that. The only thing worse than the filibuster is not having a filibuster.

I'm not sure you want 70 y/o men and women struggling to remain standing while reciting the rules of poker or their grandma's cookie recipe though. What I suggested, in my humble opinion, has the same effect without the theatrics and the predictable, inevitable move toward electing ironman triathletes so they can effectively filibuster the other side.

Whatever the rules are you want to enact...codify them in the Constitution....so the next group of Senators doesn't change them to make it more favorable.

The point I've made on various American forums is that, the US codified constitution was great for it's time, for it's culture and laws. And these change in time.

In the UK, the Magna Carta in 1215 started the process of the King using a parliament, it's constitution being uncodified. So the UK's constitution is made up of various documents in various places. This allows it to be updated as society progresses.

America's constitution is stuck in the dark ages, it needs radically overhauled to bring it up to the 21st century.
:thankusmile:

Two things you need today that you didn't need in 1781....

A director of security for your campaign so the other side doesn't hack your e-mails and a team of lawyers to identify the loopholes in the Constitution.

I wouldn't say "radical overhaul"....I'd say that we need to give a voice where it is silent to prevent the loopholes from being so easily exploited. For example, Pelosi didn't have to send the articles of impeachment to the Senate immediately. She could have, theoretically waited until after an election to see if there would have been a more favorable Senate.

Led by the constitution, the greatest most powerful nation the world has ever know was built in a very short 150 years, America has continued to lead the world in all facets…what makes you think the constitution has ‘timed-out’?
Because brilliant white guys framed/constructed it? Because some purple-haired chicks with dicks don’t like it? Because illegal aliens and foreigners are offended by it?

Good luck figuring out all the possible ways Asshats in the Legislative body your Constitutions may create
are going to use to do what they should never have considered to do in the first place in order to gain power ... :thup:

Can I interest you in a remedial English course?

Response to Candy cont...

4. "I'd get rid of the ridiculous back-office process we have after a general election. We vote in early November, the electors meet in Mid December, and Congress counts the electoral votes in January. That is absolutely ridiculous. All of it has to be wrapped up by December 1."

Why....? What is wrong with the current process of electors?

5. "I'd have it in the Constitution that every cabinet level office (and others) must make office space available for a new administration starting on December 2. This means that the Secretary of Veteran's Affairs (for example) has to "open the books" to representatives of the incoming administration."

And how is that different from the traditions of today? In most cases this happens...

6. "I'd have a scheduled constitutional convention every 50 years or so. Amendments can be proposed and sent to the States and the states have to consider the amendment and their legislature has to have an up or down vote within six months."

I can't help but feel as though you want to squash the minority voice and continue to cement it with constitutional changes every 50 years to ensure that they never hold power again...

....….allowing the worlds worse to steal citizenships from the American people ...
If you are feeling as guilty about that as YOU should, get the fuck out of my country and go pollute some other place, cockroach.

Continued response to Candy....

7. "I'd get rid of the presidential pardon and have a 3 judge panel of the Most senior, Most Junior and a third Supreeme Court Justice decide on all pardons. Pardons can be requested by anyone who petitions the court for a pardon and the ones that pass that triage get considered four times a year--once per quarter except in the last year of a presidential term. Meaning that there are no more midnight pardons on the way out the door."

Um, to be pithy, no....This is one power that I don't think is too abused...We may disagree with certain President's decisions and who they have applied this too in the past, but so be it...Elections have consequences...

Final....

"There are a few others but coffee is on. Thanks.

Gee, now I wonder if someone else will actually take some time and write what they truly feel should be added in as opposed to what we've seen so far."

No problem, and thanks again for taking the time to post your ideas...We disagree, but I think a good conversation can be had...

One of the things that should change (and it's something that was talked about by some of the founders not long after the Constitution was written) was how the House Reps districts are drawn up and the ability to increase the number based on population. House Reps are far too removed from their constituency due to the number of people they represent. It should just be a range 100k -200k or whatever and the district should be a square to get that many people in it. When it grows to 200k (if that's the range) it's just split in half. Stop all the gerrymandering BS and make the Reps more accountable to the people they supposedly represent.

A lot depends upon the nature of the drafting committee...

1. If the committee is mostly White Euro folk, then it would probably look one way...

2. If the committee was dominated by minorities, then it would probably be much different...

3. If the committee was race-quota based, then it would probably look a lot like (1) but with some concessions to minorities

Forum List

Back