If "Gone with the Wind" should go cause "racism," then so too should "Malcolm X."

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
If we are going to ban movies in the past because they are racist in some way or another, John Nolte points out then that "Malcolm X," which is a truly racist movie, should go too.......

The point of this column is not to trash Lee’s masterwork, nor is it to declare “Malcolm X” racist. Moreover, I’m not here to defend producer David O. Selznick’s own masterwork, “Gone With the Wind” (1939), against charges of racism.

This post is instead a defense of art, artistry, and artists — something that should be unnecessary in America. But we are currently in the middle of a frenzied left-wing campaign to “fundamentally transform America,” which, as history has time and again shown, means a season of oppression, suppression, and censorship.

Filled with the sanctimony and self-righteousness that always comes with being part of The Mob, last week a major New York film writer, The New York Post’s Lou Lumenick, called for “Gone With the Wind” to go the way of the Confederate Flag — to be shunned and banned, consigned only to museums.

The problem with Lumenick’s fascist thinking (and those who agree with him) is that his rationale is based solely on emotion and personal bias. To prove this point, I’ll use Lumenick’s arguments for shunning “Gone With the Wind” against “Malcolm X.”

In many ways, as you will read below, the argument against “Malcolm X’ is stronger.

Lumenick’s argues that GWTW is racist, romanticizes slavery, romanticizes the Civil War, and is not historically accurate.

Let’s unpack these one-by-one.

RACISM

Throughout its entire 200 minutes, there is not a single sympathetic white character in all of “Malcolm X.” Not one. Every single white person is portrayed at best as a patronizing racist, at worst as a virulent racist. The closest Lee comes to a sympathetic white person is a college student who is turned down by Malcolm X after she offers her help to his cause. She still comes off as a bubbled-headed idiot.

In this respect, GWTW is superior. For all the flaws in their characterizations, the black characters of Mammy and Big Sam are at least sympathetic, and in the case of Big Sam, even heroic (Sam saves Scarlett from a mob).

There is no moral difference between a film that inaccurately and dishonestly portrays all blacks in a negative light and all whites in a negative light.

If we are going to ban movies in the past because they are racist in some way or another, John Nolte points out then that "Malcolm X," which is a truly racist movie, should go too.......

The point of this column is not to trash Lee’s masterwork, nor is it to declare “Malcolm X” racist. Moreover, I’m not here to defend producer David O. Selznick’s own masterwork, “Gone With the Wind” (1939), against charges of racism.

This post is instead a defense of art, artistry, and artists — something that should be unnecessary in America. But we are currently in the middle of a frenzied left-wing campaign to “fundamentally transform America,” which, as history has time and again shown, means a season of oppression, suppression, and censorship.

Filled with the sanctimony and self-righteousness that always comes with being part of The Mob, last week a major New York film writer, The New York Post’s Lou Lumenick, called for “Gone With the Wind” to go the way of the Confederate Flag — to be shunned and banned, consigned only to museums.

The problem with Lumenick’s fascist thinking (and those who agree with him) is that his rationale is based solely on emotion and personal bias. To prove this point, I’ll use Lumenick’s arguments for shunning “Gone With the Wind” against “Malcolm X.”

In many ways, as you will read below, the argument against “Malcolm X’ is stronger.

Lumenick’s argues that GWTW is racist, romanticizes slavery, romanticizes the Civil War, and is not historically accurate.

RACISM

Throughout its entire 200 minutes, there is not a single sympathetic white character in all of “Malcolm X.” Not one. Every single white person is portrayed at best as a patronizing racist, at worst as a virulent racist. The closest Lee comes to a sympathetic white person is a college student who is turned down by Malcolm X after she offers her help to his cause. She still comes off as a bubbled-headed idiot.

In this respect, GWTW is superior. For all the flaws in their characterizations, the black characters of Mammy and Big Sam are at least sympathetic, and in the case of Big Sam, even heroic (Sam saves Scarlett from a mob).

There is no moral difference between a film that inaccurately and dishonestly portrays all blacks in a negative light and all whites in a negative light.

Race was tangential in both the book and the movie . The stupidity is astonishing. I don't know if people can get more dumbed down.

RACISM

Great post. However, you're once again attempting to present a rational, logical argument to a segment of Americans whose souls and minds have been thoroughly taken by an ideology that does not allow reason, logic, truth or facts to interfere with its aspirations for cultural and political change. Those possessed by postmodernism, race worshipping, social justice religion, yadda, yadda, have become pathological liars—both to themselves and to the rest of the world at large. Show them it's a sunny day outside and they'll try to convince you it's pouring down cats and dogs. While your argument is sound, it will never hold water with the sociopaths running the radical leftist shitshow.

A rationale and well rounded argument.

Too bad we are talking about a group of people who legitimately believe blacks are being "hunted" by white police, and whites are the only people in society capable of racism.

And Spike Lee is a racist piece of shit. Always has been.

Ban Porgy and Bess and West Side Story too, for their depictions of pickaninnies and Puerto Rican thugs. And The Jazz Singer and Breakfast at Tiffany's, both racist.

Liberals seem to love those movies.

How else do you think whites were during Malcolm X's time OP?

How else do you think whites were during Malcolm X's time OP?

You mean the ones who supported the Civil Rights acts and stood up to the democrat party along with their Black American allies? Democrat party segregation and murder would not have ended in this country if the majority of whites agreed with it......since they didn't agree with it, it ended. Black Americans, as a minority, could never have ended democrat party racism and segregation on their own......so get over it.

America is not a racist country. It is a country that believes all men and women are created equal, and the sooner we end the democrat party and its institutional racism, the faster we make that true for all Americans.

I heard Malcolm X actually existed.......

Gone with The Wind was a made up story about a made up sense of the South......and no one is stopping you from watching it

and Clark Gable was gay.......

I don't think we should ban Gone with the Wind or anything that takes away the white mans sins against the blacks, women and the poor in general, but esp the blacks.

As far as the confederate flag goes the southern lost the war, so loose the flag, it belongs in the museums.

I don't think we should ban Gone with the Wind or anything that takes away the white mans sins against the blacks, women and the poor in general, but esp the blacks.

As far as the confederate flag goes the southern lost the war, so loose the flag, it belongs in the museums.
What "sins" were there against blacks in the movie or in the book that would lead you to believe we should "loosen" then flag?

Are you black? Please admit to it.

Nobody has banned Gone With the Wind.

When did hyperbole completely replace common sense?

What "sins" were there against blacks in the movie or in the book that would lead you to believe we should "loosen" then flag?

It was about the civil war , no I'm not black but I'd admit if I were. Are you even American?

It was about the civil war , no I'm not black but I'd admit if I were. Are you even American?
This has to slow down what we are seeing today. I do not even try to look at more diverse shows anymore unless it is part of a show I might enjoy. Its not fun anymore. It seems like a chore. Cable TV reform is needed. It be funny if some of the Prog broadcast places were BLM'd or Antifa'd.

RACISM

All Spike Lee movies are racist.

Confederate flag belongs on the graves of dead Confederate soldier's and at Confederate monument's. Great Britain didn't abolish slavery until 1831. Should we an British flags from the graves of British dead buried here in the United States from the Revolutionary War and War of 1812?

Forum List

Back