I wonder why most beer drinkers never heard of mead or ale

The biggest thing about Mead is that it's destroyed if it is bottled..it's only good if it's draft and naturally fermented and drawn instead of CO² charged. It's great when you can taste the grain as well....and NO hops...
Americans want too much hops to help cover up the chemical putrid taste most of the mass produced beer tastes like without it.
Ale draft is good as well... again with extremely limited hops.

Stonebrew is good stuff... again draft and not overly hopped garbage in a bottle.

The crap in cans and bottles is little more than water with alcohol and chemical flavorings then carbonated like a soda...and that's literally how they make it.

It's not beer...it's crap.

I've had real beer. Quaffer's League (home brewer's club) leftover rejects taste better than anything in the store. And once you have had the real thing...and know how good it really is you can't go back or stand the crap they put in the store.
Not sure where you live, but you could not be more wrong.
Indiana is one of the earlier craft beer states, probably due to our proximity to Cincinnati a true beer town. So I have been surrounded by breweries and craft beer for 30 years now. Most of America has few breweries, and may not have experienced craft beer until just in the past 10 years.
Anyway, there are magnificent beer choices that are bottled. And not all are "over-hopped"... which they are not. The high hop content is the style.
My favorite styles are Marzen, red ales and brown ales. All are low hops. However I do like hoppy beers that are done right.
Lucky enough to live, arguably, the best hopped beer breweries in the world - Three Floyds. Approaching their beer with an open mind...is... mind blowing. Such as Apocalypse Cow. ( Apocalypse Cow | 3 Floyds Brewing Co. )
Who would ever think of putting Lactose sugar in an IPA? And the result is a flavor explosion followed by an amazing soft/sweetness.
Perhaps you are mainly talking about macro beers in America. To which, of course, I agree are not even beer. Busweiser, Miller, Coors - NONE are beer. What they are is water trying to be beer, or beer trying to be water.

Not sure where you live, but you could not be more wrong.
Indiana is one of the earlier craft beer states, probably due to our proximity to Cincinnati a true beer town. So I have been surrounded by breweries and craft beer for 30 years now. Most of America has few breweries, and may not have experienced craft beer until just in the past 10 years.
Anyway, there are magnificent beer choices that are bottled. And not all are "over-hopped"... which they are not. The high hop content is the style.
My favorite styles are Marzen, red ales and brown ales. All are low hops. However I do like hoppy beers that are done right.
Lucky enough to live, arguably, the best hopped beer breweries in the world - Three Floyds. Approaching their beer with an open mind...is... mind blowing. Such as Apocalypse Cow. ( Apocalypse Cow | 3 Floyds Brewing Co. )
Who would ever think of putting Lactose sugar in an IPA? And the result is a flavor explosion followed by an amazing soft/sweetness.
Perhaps you are mainly talking about macro beers in America. To which, of course, I agree are not even beer. Busweiser, Miller, Coors - NONE are beer. What they are is water trying to be beer, or beer trying to be water.
Why do I have to be "The most wrong conceivable" and then you turn around and agree with what I just said?

ROFL...

Budweiser makes some great commercials that are highly entertaining...but they haven't made a decent beer in my lifetime. It's drinkable...kinda.

Microbrews, home brewed beer, and craft beers are better...
And I know that the high hop beer is the style...but I think it's overdone to cover up a multitude of sins when brewing the beer.

Beer should compliment food...not overwhelm it. And unfortunately most beers are stand alone beverages.

And I have had beer from ALL over the world. Currently with quarantines I'm stuck in the USA...
Czech beer is awesome stuff. Nobody is usually aware of it... Slovakia has it going on too. It's great right off the tap... don't need a bottle or can of anything unless you are driving for non-alcoholic beer. The German, Italian, UK, Spain, French, Polish, and Austrian beers...there's so many of them it's over the top trying to keep up.

Just saying...the beers I like the best pair well with foods... aren't a learned taste either because of the amount of hops used.
They are naturally drinkable and you find them going down way too fast for your comfort...and no one had to hold your elbow to make it happen. They also aren't so heavy and rich they substitute as dinner. Nor are they so pricey that you think you are getting a bottle of wine to go with dinner. It's cheaper than soda in so many places except for America.

Why do I have to be "The most wrong conceivable" and then you turn around and agree with what I just said?

ROFL...

Budweiser makes some great commercials that are highly entertaining...but they haven't made a decent beer in my lifetime. It's drinkable...kinda.

Microbrews, home brewed beer, and craft beers are better...
And I know that the high hop beer is the style...but I think it's overdone to cover up a multitude of sins when brewing the beer.

Beer should compliment food...not overwhelm it. And unfortunately most beers are stand alone beverages.

And I have had beer from ALL over the world. Currently with quarantines I'm stuck in the USA...
Czech beer is awesome stuff. Nobody is usually aware of it... Slovakia has it going on too. It's great right off the tap... don't need a bottle or can of anything unless you are driving for non-alcoholic beer. The German, Italian, UK, Spain, French, Polish, and Austrian beers...there's so many of them it's over the top trying to keep up.

Just saying...the beers I like the best pair well with foods... aren't a learned taste either because of the amount of hops used.
They are naturally drinkable and you find them going down way too fast for your comfort...and no one had to hold your elbow to make it happen. They also aren't so heavy and rich they substitute as dinner. Nor are they so pricey that you think you are getting a bottle of wine to go with dinner. It's cheaper than soda in so many places except for America.
Sorry guy but you are wrong.
If you brew a beer, with little or no regard to the grains... and just throw in a bunch of hops - it is going to be blisteringly bitter. It will taste like you are drinking battery acid.
Hoppy beers have to be well balanced. In fact, there is more thought and attention made to the grain bill when makin an IPA than when make a malt forward beer like a brown ale. And if you leave out the hops in a brown ale... it will taste horrible. Basically like you are drinking grass and weeds.
A well made IPA can even have the IBUs all the way to 100, but not taste too bitter. That takes a LOT of planning, high-high attention to quality throughout the brewing process. It takes enormous talent and experience to make a well made IPA.
Making a brown ale is quite easy. Almost mistake proof as long as everything is clean. Very simple beer to make. But making a good IPA that isn't too bitter and unbalanced is much-much harder to do.

Because those are supposedly the oldest drinks known to man. One is a drink known from Beowulf and the Norse Berserkers who plundered most of Europe 1000 AD.

Also if you have played Skyrim, you would know of mead.
Any homebrewer certainly knows and has likely made both in the basement.

Just made some Amber Ale. I'll let you know how it is in about a month.

Because those are supposedly the oldest drinks known to man. One is a drink known from Beowulf and the Norse Berserkers who plundered most of Europe 1000 AD.

Also if you have played Skyrim, you would know of mead.

I don't drink, but even I've heard of mead, I went somewhere in England once where it was popular, Lindesfarne or somewhere.

I don't drink, but even I've heard of mead, I went somewhere in England once where it was popular, Lindesfarne or somewhere.
Mead went away for a reason.
Like I say... it is difficult to get right, the process is FULL of pitfalls and when done right... it taste like cheap wine.
So... it died many years ago. And will stay dead.

Bewitched Amber Ale.

IMG_20211130_190120680.jpg

Forum List

Back