I Wonder How Many Divorces Will Result From The Election

I have two sets of friends who worry me.

It's gotten that ugly. In both cases, they have strong family ties that pull them in certain directions. In one case....the mom is no longer interested in going to her in-laws. Her kids can't go either which I think is a damn shame. But she's been told she really isn't welcome there. It all stems from several large arguments.

Well, that is where we are at.

In 2016, it seemed we heard of divorces over the election. I wonder if people can keep it together despite the clown show we have going on now.
Politics has always been taboo but never as toxic as it is now. I know you blame the Dems but do you honestly not see the roll that Trump has played and continues to play with this horrible division?
Trump has brought likeminded families like mine together politically...he’s helped them form a tighter bond, and he’s given good real Americans hope and confidence in our government/ democracy. CNN hasn’t told you these stories have they?
I’ve seen enough with my eyes. I’m glad your fam gets a laugh out of our president, that’s great and all but unfortunately the negative effects that others are experience far out number the good
Trump isn't responsible for these "negative effects " these people feel. These people are in control of THEMSELVES, along with their FEELINGS AND BEHAVIORS. That's nothing but more "victim" behavior.
Exactly right..... Going against the grain in life usually brings about negative effects, and it definitely dulls the senses.
I don’t see Trump as going against the grain as much as dishonestly trolling his opponents.
He's just dishing back what they give him.

Anyone who's let's american politics affect their relationships with family actually believe that politics is more important than family. This is not only wrong no matter how you look at it. The truth is it really doesn't matter in the end. Family comes way way waaay before anything political. The politics of this nation aren't even close to my dogs on my list.
If politic's didn't negatively affect your taxes, your job's, your religious liberties, your freedoms, your culture, and your beliefs in life, then I'd say that you are right, but sadly it effects everything we elect our rep's to do for us, and when family members go rogue, it's a tough situation. Best to opt out of politic's if it's ruining the relationship.

Last edited:

It's gotten that ugly. In both cases, they have strong family ties that pull them in certain directions. In one case....the mom is no longer interested in going to her in-laws. Her kids can't go either which I think is a damn shame. But she's been told she really isn't welcome there. It all stems from several large arguments.

In 2016, it seemed we heard of divorces over the election. I wonder if people can keep it together despite the clown show we have going on now.
Politics has always been taboo but never as toxic as it is now. I know you blame the Dems but do you honestly not see the roll that Trump has played and continues to play with this horrible division?
Trump has brought likeminded families like mine together politically...he’s helped them form a tighter bond, and he’s given good real Americans hope and confidence in our government/ democracy. CNN hasn’t told you these stories have they?
I’ve seen enough with my eyes. I’m glad your fam gets a laugh out of our president, that’s great and all but unfortunately the negative effects that others are experience far out number the good
Trump isn't responsible for these "negative effects " these people feel. These people are in control of THEMSELVES, along with their FEELINGS AND BEHAVIORS. That's nothing but more "victim" behavior.
Exactly right..... Going against the grain in life usually brings about negative effects, and it definitely dulls the senses.
I don’t see Trump as going against the grain as much as dishonestly trolling his opponents.
Trump is going with the grain by doing his job as he promised the American people. The left is the one going against the grain by fighting with the majority of the American people.
A family member of mine would send me a Christmas card telling me that the $ that would've originally gone to me (not like it was a big deal, the $ that is) was going to an "organization ". However, these "organizations " weren't ones that I supported and this individual would put MY NAME on the donation, which I thought was in bad taste, especially since this individual knew where I stood on issues. I mulled over this for years, because it didn't happen just once. I finally spoke up about it, and, as I figured, feelings were hurt. Well, at least I didn't go with the other option, which was to send him/her a Trumpy Bear!!!...(but the look on this person's face upon receiving it, would've been PRICELESS! :auiqs.jpg:)....

This is laughable...If there are couples splitting up over politics, then there are deeper issues than that....No one that I know of splits over politics...And if they do, then they weren't meant for each other in the first place.
When things get this bad, it digs deep at relationships, family, and friends. Some might ask their wife if they believe that a woman should be killing their babies at various stages as a form of birth control ? The answers to alot of such question's can be daming to a relationship. Otherwise who wants to live with an accessory to someone murdering they babies ?

As someone that will be celebrating their 34th anniversary this coming May, I can tell you that no couple will agree on everything...Especially politics.

This is laughable...If there are couples splitting up over politics, then there are deeper issues than that....No one that I know of splits over politics...And if they do, then they weren't meant for each other in the first place.
When things get this bad, it digs deep at relationships, family, and friends. Some might ask their wife if they believe that a woman should be killing their babies at various stages as a form of birth control ? The answers to alot of such question's can be daming to a relationship. Otherwise who wants to live with an accessory to someone murdering they babies ?

As someone that will be celebrating their 34th anniversary this coming May, I can tell you that no couple will agree on everything...Especially politics.
Especially politic's these days. Thank God my family and me are on the same page. It helps, and it is definitely their own choices. No bullying or interference from me.

Trump is going with the grain by doing his job as he promised the American people. The left is the one going against the grain by fighting with the majority of the American people.
A family member of mine would send me a Christmas card telling me that the $ that would've originally gone to me (not like it was a big deal, the $ that is) was going to an "organization ". However, these "organizations " weren't ones that I supported and this individual would put MY NAME on the donation, which I thought was in bad taste, especially since this individual knew where I stood on issues. I mulled over this for years, because it didn't happen just once. I finally spoke up about it, and, as I figured, feelings were hurt. Well, at least I didn't go with the other option, which was to send him/her a Trumpy Bear!!!...(but the look on this person's face upon receiving it, would've been PRICELESS! :auiqs.jpg:)....

I would have sent them a card saying you donated to Trump in THEIR names !!!!

The division started a long time ago.

Really, it was the Reagan Carter race where things got stupidly negative.

Since then it has gotten worse and worse.

Trump ran. That is his right. He hasn't been any different in the WH than what we expected. He's a gunner.

I blame the left for their bullshit....what I don't get is that they can't ignore him. They are constantly triggered.

Next...they have no fucking candidates. Bernie, Dizzy Lizzy and the Petrified Piece of Shit Biden....all terrible. All East Coast 1%ers.

And that pisses the left off even more. They really have no good leadership. Please don't tell me you like Schumer and Pelosi. I mean holy fuck.

So, I knew what I was getting with Trump.

But he didn't do any of the terrible shit people were all freaked out over.

The last I heard...he's gaining with young blacks becasue (up until covid....and they seem tolerant) they were getting better opportunity.

But...he's a racist.

So....don't blame Trump.

BTW: I seriously dislike Obama...always have. But I thought the GOP treated him like shit and I didn't like it.

The GOP lost their minds when Nixon was forced from office, and have been demonizing and blaming Democrats for it ever since. Bill Clinton was impeached because of Nixon. They spent 6 1/2 years on a fishing expedition of a Special Prosecutor's investigation, using a lie about a blow job to impeach Clinton, and funded the Paula Jones lawsuit to bring him down.

Republicans don't have demographics on their side. That's why Reagan made a deal with Falwell for the evangelical vote - opposition to abortion, gay rights, and women's rights, and openly encouraged the racists to vote Republican. He fanned the flames of racism and segregation, blaming the "urban" poor for high taxes and high crime. He promoted the idea that "urban poor" were lazy, and were living on "free shit" the goverment gave them.

Republicans have to lie and misrepresent the effects of their own policies, and demonize Democrats, because they have no record to run on other than cutting taxes, increasing the deficit and crashing the economy.

Then you are a Republican, because it seems all you go is lie.

Do you have ANY evidence at all that I lie? Your saying it doesn't make it so. I can back up everything I post with links, data, and credible reports from respected journalists using high journalistic standards. What do you have to back up your assertions that I'm lying?

You can go back on a lot of threads where I have called you out and you ran from the thread. I have all the proof I need. Just look at this thread.

In the post you claim Clinton was impeached for lying about a blow job, that is a lie. Clinton was impeached for obstructing justice and denying a person of their civil rights in doing so. That you find a need to misrepresent and minimize what Clinton did shows your disrespect to the Constitution and the rights of women all around the world. You are for Democrats and against the ideals you claim are sfor. You are dishonest and a liar.

Not here, a Hoosier married to a Texan....we created formidable off spring

Thats unbelievable.

YOu people like to pretend that anyone that disagrees with you, has to be a bad person.

It is very believable that people that pretend that, find themselves unable to maintain normal relationships with family members who disagree with them on political issues.

All Trump; has done, is refuse to be intimidated by you people.

Couples should get to know one another on ALL levels. Doesn't mean it always happens that way. I grew up in a very liberal environment, yet now, Conservative on most views. Each party should be respectful towards one another, as in any relationship.

Totally agree.

But it did happen in 2016.

Note the headline "Trump Presidency Destroying..." and that the source (NY Daily News) is considered by both Media Check and All Sides to be a loony-left rag.

It is the media that has driven a wedge between Americans with a constant drumbeat of hatred.

Thats unbelievable.
YOu people like to pretend that anyone that disagrees with you, has to be a bad person. It is very believable that people that pretend that, find themselves unable to maintain normal relationships with family members who disagree with them...
And yet CC is among the small number of Dems who still have the occasional lucid moment.

I don’t see Trump as doing his job when he constantly lies and spin about what’s going on. True he faces a waive of opposition from the media and his political opponents but that tends to happen when those in power lie and insult instead of engage in honest discourse and communication

He's just dishing back what they give him.
Not a valid excuse in my eyes for the POTUS. I hold that position to higher standard than the wingnut trolls out there.

I would have sent them a card saying you donated to Trump in THEIR names !!!!
Haha. Well played

No he has done much much more than refusing to be inditmidated. That’s a rather weak statement on your part.

No he has done much much more than refusing to be inditmidated. That’s a rather weak statement on your part.

Hint: The hidden meanings you imagine that he is sending out with "code words", don't actually count as something HE did.

Cause it is all in your head.

Like when he said that there were "nice people" on both sides of the issue of historical statues, and the libs heard though "code words" that he "meant" ws,

that was not something Trump actually DID.

That was just insanity you people were suffering from.

ALL your complaints about him are like that. You are delusional.

I've taught my kids well not to trust their employers and elected officials to do anything that's in their best interests. It has served them very well

Each party should be respectful towards one another, as in any relationship.
You are absolutely correct but for far too many people, being civil to others seems an impossible feat. And I've seen people attempting to excuse bad behavior towards anyone who is not a member of their immediate family or one of their loved ones or friends, such as insulting, mocking, or derogatory comments as them being fair game.

You should always pay attention to how someone you're interested in treats other people, including those who they have no personal relationship with, to get an idea of how they might treat you if you should ever become disfavored. Unfortunately we see Trump engage in this behavior all of the time.

Forum List

Back