I suspect this is a setup to get someone to do something stupid.

Keep in mind the President can declassify anything he wants whenever he wants to.

***snip***

The president's classification and declassification powers are broad

Experts agreed that the president, as commander-in-chief, is ultimately responsible for classification and declassification. When someone lower in the chain of command handles classification and declassification duties -- which is usually how it's done -- it's because they have been delegated to do so by the president directly, or by an appointee chosen by the president.

The majority ruling in the 1988 Supreme Court case Department of Navy vs. Egan -- which addressed the legal recourse of a Navy employee who had been denied a security clearance -- addresses this line of authority.

"The President, after all, is the 'Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States'" according to Article II of the Constitution, the court's majority wrote. "His authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security ... flows primarily from this constitutional investment of power in the President, and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant."

Steven Aftergood, director of the Federation of American Scientists Project on Government Secrecy, said that such authority gives the president the authority to "classify and declassify at will."

In fact, Robert F. Turner, associate director of the University of Virginia's Center for National Security Law, said that "if Congress were to enact a statute seeking to limit the president's authority to classify or declassify national security information, or to prohibit him from sharing certain kinds of information with Russia, it would raise serious separation of powers constitutional issues."

The official documents governing classification and declassification stem from executive orders. But even these executive orders aren't necessarily binding on the president. The president is not "obliged to follow any procedures other than those that he himself has prescribed," Aftergood said. "And he can change those."
If he had declassified the information while he was still president and had that authority, it wouldn't be classified now, would it? Expresidents can't declassify anything.

Does an ex-president have the right to NOT to turn in government documents that where produced while he was in office, including classified materials?

Does an ex-president have the right to destroy government documents?
Do you believe Trump is the first x POTUS to have govt. documents in his possession?

the stupidest thing you can do is believe that you can just fix everything by electing people with an R next to their name.

...so don't do anything stupid.

Bide your time.

Win the House.

Investigate everyone.
This is an interesting take.

The Democrats have yet again revealed they are indistinguishable from the Nazis, but it didn't initially occur to me that their fascist terrorism was intended as a provocation that might serve them if there's a counter-reaction to their treason.

This just shook a sleeping giant of republican voters, and they are pissed off... And right before midterms. IF we can make it to November without a civil war erupting, democrats are going to be swept from power. This seems to be a play for martial law and stopping the next election. If that happens, the only way we recover, is to remove these traitors by any means necessary.

Nah, most Republicans don't support criminal conduct.

Also does it say anywhere that once a president leaves office he's allowed to take and keep government documents regardless of they are classified? Can you find anything that supports that?

How many Presidents have Presidential libraries with COPIES of documents from their tenure?

the stupidest thing you can do is believe that you can just fix everything by electing people with an R next to their name.
I agree. Eventually you will have to also shoot the criminals trying to prevent you from voting for the people you want to vote for.

Progs certainly did not. There is a body of evidence. Blue cities are at a precipice in that without resources they will become primal hell holes with tribes in close contact.

Do you believe Trump is the first x POTUS to have govt. documents in his possession?
I don't believe but I know, he's the first one the national archives requested the DOJ to find communications that he knew he had but didn't turn in. He's the first one where the national archives got some of his documents shredded and taped back together.

Beyond that, I won't speculate because I have little information to go by.

None of it answers my basic question. Is an ex-president above the law?

How many Presidents have Presidential libraries with COPIES of documents from their tenure?
Don't know, but the communications themselves were obviously archived. Something that those involving this warrant aren't. Which is the problem.

From a practical standpoint don't you think that from a national security standpoint it's important for a current president to know what the previous president said to his N-Korean counterpart?

The Democrats need to turn the election away from Biden, immigration, inflation, rising interest rates, slowing housing market, the supply chain and other failures and make the election about Trump, that is there only chance to hold on to seats. I believe this will keep ramping up until the election and then go away for a year and then start up again in 2024.

Good Dem strateg.

That will likely be the main argument. Of course Trump may hay declassified the documents he took but was he allowed to take them?

My question is why the FBI never pulls raids like this on Democrats like Hillary, Hunter and Joe Biden?

Are the DOJ and the FBI working for the Democratic Party?

In order to be able to conduct a search warrant, a few conditions need to apply. Amongst other things. Suspicions of a crime. Got any, for the people you mentioned?
Another thing. Can you get the information anyway else? Etc. etc.

Under Trump you didn't just have a DOJ that was OPENLY partisan, you had a president constantly commenting in public on ongoing investigations. What do you think is more likely?

The DOJ and FBI under Trump were working for the Democrats or the conditions to warrant so much as an investigation wasn't met?

I don't believe but I know, he's the first one the national archives requested the DOJ to find communications that he knew he had but didn't turn in. He's the first one where the national archives got some of his documents shredded and taped back together.

Beyond that, I won't speculate because I have little information to go by.

None of it answers my basic question. Is an ex-president above the law?
You dont know shit.

Don't know, but the communications themselves were obviously archived. Something that those involving this warrant aren't. Which is the problem.

From a practical standpoint don't you think that from a national security standpoint it's important for a current president to know what the previous president said to his N-Korean counterpart?

From a practical standpoint are physical copies still even used that much? Digital filing and file numbering allows multiple copies of the same document to be organized and stored in different archives all the while protecting the documents authenticity and original content.

Biden is hoping a militia group tries to take him out. Then he declares martial law and stops all elections. From there Hitler will have a second coming...

This is by design... they want this to happen so they can keep power permanently.

I don't know about taking him out. But I have no doubt they are waiting for something big enough to happen they can say "that's it. We're in control now. This can't happen again".

Whether it be a shooting biig enough they can try to grab guns, climate conditions bad enough they can slap down laws, attempted assassination of someone where they can clamp down, or just piss off or anger enough people they can do something.

Even causing people so much financial burden that they can say "ok we're creating a central bank run by the federal government so we can take care of your money and control everything so you'll be taken care of".

Kind of like the shitty customer service person that is waiting for the caller to get mad enough they say one curse word so they can say "I don't appreciate that kind of language" and hang up on them.

It's all creating or waiting for a situation they can step in and assume control.

Looks like trump hiding secret documents already backfired on him. He already had a chance to return the doccuments, when they got those 15 boxes full, but the orange cheat thought he could hide some of them. Trump is an idiot if he thinks he can get away with it this time.
Most likely those documents are evidence that was gonna be used to expose democrats. Logical.

Forum List

Back