I need a new, gender-neutral honorific form of address for strangers

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
I like to call strangers "Sir," or "Ma'am," but now there are people who I honestly don't know what gender they are, nor what gender they are representing.

I will suggest "Compeer," which means:

1653872177043.png

I have nothing against people who represent themselves as the gender opposite their biological sex. To each his own, I'll call them "Sir," or "Ma'am" in accordance with the wishes they clearly express through their appearance. I don't think anyone should be forced to do that, but I choose to.

But, I'm talking about people who are not so obvious about which gender they are representing, either because they are deliberately ambiguous or because their efforts at illusion are poor.

I'm not asking that anyone else use it. I'm just saying that I will be using it from now on. It seems much better than "Sir or Ma'am," and way better than "Comrade."

I wonder how many people really worry about such things or are they just trying to perpetuate a non-issue?

Now I've never had anyone correct me after a polite address but if they did it would depend on their tone.....If they chose to come-off like a dick then I'd damn sure treat them as one and savor the moment.

Do what you always do and if someone has a problem respectfully ask them what they would prefer. If you are not sure skip the gender honorific altogether. What's so hard about that?

"Good morning asshole, how are you today?"

Why are you making concessions for people who are mentally imbalanced and want to prove it to ya?
Because I don't like to let other people's behavior change who I am. I am a person who prefers to address strangers with courtesy and respect. By calling them "Compeer," I do that without getting caught up in any drama about who they are or think they are.

I like to call strangers "Sir," or "Ma'am," but now there are people who I honestly don't know what gender they are, nor what gender they are representing.

View attachment 651640
I have nothing against people who represent themselves as the gender opposite their biological sex. To each his own, I'll call them "Sir," or "Ma'am" in accordance with the wishes they clearly express through their appearance. I don't think anyone should be forced to do that, but I choose to.

But, I'm talking about people who are not so obvious about which gender they are representing, either because they are deliberately ambiguous or because their efforts at illusion are poor.

I'm not asking that anyone else use it. I'm just saying that I will be using it from now on. It seems much better than "Sir or Ma'am," and way better than "Comrade."
If they look weird I pretend they don't even exist and don't even look at them a 2nd time

Because I don't like to let other people's behavior change who I am. I am a person who prefers to address strangers with courtesy and respect. By calling them "Compeer," I do that without getting caught up in any drama about who they are or think they are.

People aren't going to know what the hell compeer means, they'll think your insulting them.

Do what you always do and if someone has a problem respectfully ask them what they would prefer. If you are not sure skip the gender honorific altogether. What's so hard about that?
I was raised to say "Sir," and "Ma'am," I like it, and I don't feel like changing. Sue me. I also prefer not to have the discussion in the first place, so I will pre-empt it with "Compeer."

View attachment 651640

I just call them darlin or buddy I make a judgment call and go with it. :lol:

I was raised to say "Sir," and "Ma'am," I like it, and I don't feel like changing. Sue me. I also prefer not to have the discussion in the first place, so I will pre-empt it with "Compeer."
Then you will have explain way more what the hell you mean by that. I have a vast vocabulary but even I have not heard that term before. Keep on with the Sir and Ma'am like you always have and quit trying to preemptively avoid a situation that will probably never happen.

Then you will have explain way more what the hell you mean by that. I have a vast vocabulary but even I have not heard that term before. Keep on with the Sir and Ma'am like you always have and quit trying to preemptively avoid a situation that will probably never happen.
I'll take that advice under consideration, Compeer.

View attachment 651640

My guess is: that's not going to fly anywhere but downtown San Francisco.

Forum List

Back