I Love Cornbread

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
1708272985817.png

There is bi-partisan support in Georgia to make cornbread the official bread of Georgia.
IMO, cornbread, when made properly, is the best bread ever.
I use Jiffy mix in a square cast iron skillet. Mom used the same mix but in a square steel baking pan.
For some reason her cornbread tasted better. I'm sure the Jiffy mix ingredients have changed.

View attachment 904334

There is bi-partisan support in Georgia to make cornbread the official bread of Georgia.
I use Jiffy mix in a square cast iron skillet. Mom used the same mix but in a square steel baking pan.
For some reason her cornbread tasted better. I'm sure the Jiffy mix ingredients have changed.

That shit box mix ain't cornbread.

View attachment 904334

I'm sure operator error never entered your mind.

That said, I can't stand cornbread.

View attachment 904334

You have to soak the mix for a while before you cook it and add a little white flour....and maybe find a whole grain mix to really change the flavor.
I think corn bread is fine, but it has to go along with another great dish like chili beans to maximize it. Cant just eat the corn bread by itself.

You have to soak the mix for a while before you cook it and add a little white flour....and maybe find a whole grain mix to really change the flavor.
I think corn bread is fine, but it has to go along with another great dish like chili beans to maximize it. Cant just eat the corn bread by itself.
I add an extra egg, half and half instead of milk and some sour cream. When Mom made beef stew, we always had cornbread with it.

I believe Mom used Nucoa margarine instead of vegetable oil. Maybe the reason it tasted different. It isn't sold around my parts anymore, AFAIK.

Last edited:
View attachment 904334

I think that Jiffy stuff is the worst cornbread ever. It's more like some kind of cake. It doesn't even qualify as cornbread, in my view.

Proper, southern cornbread in cast iron is quite another story, though.

I don't know why people put sugar in cornbread. Derned hippies...

Last edited:
Corncakes are good, too. Which is just cornmeal batter in a skillet, made like pancakes. Good with just butter on em.

My motherinlaw could make the most amazing corn cakes in an iron skillet.

Eat at dawn outside with the sun peeking over the mountains and shining on the haze in the ravines and small rifts.

Forum List

Back