I lived 20 years in a home that was haunted.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I looked back to see if i had written about this before, I have mentioned it several times... but not actually wrote specifics about the home I raised my family in.
The year we moved in was 1995, which has significance as the home was built in 1895.

This is a Google Street map of the house here:

House.jpg

An old Victorian, beautiful woodwork, pocket doors etc. We fell in love with it and lived there for 20 years.
It was very active almost from day one. So many little things, doors closing/opening.. noises of all kinds. We all became very used to it.
The most prominent was undeniable footsteps. At the very least 20 or more people have heard them. Always beginning in the kitchen area, walking through the dining room and into the foyer. Clear as a bell. I personally have heard them at least 2 or 3 dozen times in the years we lived there. Always in the same rooms, always in the same direction.
One time I got out of the shower and walked into our bedroom. Adjacent to the master bdrm was our daughters room. I heard her in there, what sounded like her opening her dresser drawers and walking around. I asked her a question, she didn't answer. I said her name louder.. nothing. So I walked into her room and was very surprised no one was there. So I walked to the stairway and hollered downstairs and the family was all in the living room. But then it dawned on me the sound of her getting into her dresser drawer... she doesn't have the kind of hardware that makes that clinking sound when you let go... hers had just knobs.
I could list so many situations like that it could fill 10 pages in a book.
We called it the "friendly ghost". At no time did anyone experience anything malevolent. And things would happen so often, even the kids were not afraid of it. Or them.

Did you really think it was haunted. I believe there are other dimensions.

Sounds like it could have been residual.

Did you ever try a digital voice recorder and see if you got an EVP?

Sounds like it could have been residual.

Did you ever try a digital voice recorder and see if you got an EVP?
Not a digital, but my son recorded the footsteps with his phone. But it is unremarkable of course, because it just sounds like footsteps. We joked around about having the "T.A.P.S." ghost hunter guys spend a few nights there.

The house has a interesting history, in that the home was built in 1895, but we were only the third owners who raised their kids there.
The man who built the house died in 1907. The city sold the property to pay off debts and taxes he owed, I can only imagine the sadness of the wife, having lived there for only such a short time.
The next people who bought it, raised their family and stayed there until they died in the 1940s.
The next couple that bought it were killed in a car wreck in the early 50s.
It had several owners from then till 1972 (I believe this is right) when a family bought it. And they raised their family there and sold it to us when they retired. They did pretty extensive updating during their ownership. Having told us it was still pretty original when they bought it.
Like I said, we bought it in 1995. I completely updated the kitchen and rewired the house. And added a screened in back porch. I also removed all of the carpet and redid the hardwood floors (original)
My first wife and I divorced, I gave her the house in the divorce settling in exchange for my retirement accounts.
She sold it in 2018 I believe it was. To a young family that to my knowledge still live there.

Not a digital, but my son recorded the footsteps with his phone. But it is unremarkable of course, because it just sounds like footsteps. We joked around about having the "T.A.P.S." ghost hunter guys spend a few nights there.
Well, recording on a phone would be digital. Actually a smart phone can be used as a digital voice recorder. What I was getting at though was to ask questions in an attempt to get a verbal response, which if you got one would indicate the haunting is intelligent. They may have even be able to tell you who they are. But from what you described, it sounds like residual energy that just plays itself over and over like a recording.

Interesting story though. I've had a few paranormal experiences myself.

Last edited:
The house has a interesting history, in that the home was built in 1895, but we were only the third owners who raised their kids there.
The man who built the house died in 1907. The city sold the property to pay off debts and taxes he owed, I can only imagine the sadness of the wife, having lived there for only such a short time.
The next people who bought it, raised their family and stayed there until they died in the 1940s.
The next couple that bought it were killed in a car wreck in the early 50s.
It had several owners from then till 1972 (I believe this is right) when a family bought it. And they raised their family there and sold it to us when they retired. They did pretty extensive updating during their ownership. Having told us it was still pretty original when they bought it.
Like I said, we bought it in 1995. I completely updated the kitchen and rewired the house. And added a screened in back porch. I also removed all of the carpet and redid the hardwood floors (original)
My first wife and I divorced, I gave her the house in the divorce settling in exchange for my retirement accounts.
She sold it in 2018 I believe it was. To a young family that to my knowledge still live there.

Wow, can you come do our house LOL.

I looked back to see if i had written about this before, I have mentioned it several times... but not actually wrote specifics about the home I raised my family in.
The year we moved in was 1995, which has significance as the home was built in 1895.

View attachment 623994

An old Victorian, beautiful woodwork, pocket doors etc. We fell in love with it and lived there for 20 years.
It was very active almost from day one. So many little things, doors closing/opening.. noises of all kinds. We all became very used to it.
The most prominent was undeniable footsteps. At the very least 20 or more people have heard them. Always beginning in the kitchen area, walking through the dining room and into the foyer. Clear as a bell. I personally have heard them at least 2 or 3 dozen times in the years we lived there. Always in the same rooms, always in the same direction.
One time I got out of the shower and walked into our bedroom. Adjacent to the master bdrm was our daughters room. I heard her in there, what sounded like her opening her dresser drawers and walking around. I asked her a question, she didn't answer. I said her name louder.. nothing. So I walked into her room and was very surprised no one was there. So I walked to the stairway and hollered downstairs and the family was all in the living room. But then it dawned on me the sound of her getting into her dresser drawer... she doesn't have the kind of hardware that makes that clinking sound when you let go... hers had just knobs.
We called it the "friendly ghost". At no time did anyone experience anything malevolent. And things would happen so often, even the kids were not afraid of it. Or them.

Creepy, and quite fascinating. A couple of years ago my wife and I lived in off-post housing while I was in the Army stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. From very early on we sensed a presence in the place, some kind of unseen "other" that would appear in the corner of eyes and then vanish when we turned our heads to see it better. We eventually concluded it was the spirit or presence of a child, and it never felt malevolent or anything like that. Sometimes it would tug on the bottom of our blankets and wake us up. After we adopted our Australian Cattle Dog such "incidents" seemed to cease, save for the odd occurrence. Makes one wonder if "ghosts" really exist outside our minds, or if we haunt ourselves with demons of our past.

View attachment 623994

You're either being hoaxed by somebody or you're making it all up out of your head. Look for a reason for your superstitious supernatural nonsense being completely natural.

Tellingn tall tales to get attention would be a natural explanation too. Also mental illness can sometimes explain that kind of nonsensical stories.

Creepy, and quite fascinating. A couple of years ago my wife and I lived in off-post housing while I was in the Army stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. From very early on we sensed a presence in the place, some kind of unseen "other" that would appear in the corner of eyes and then vanish when we turned our heads to see it better. We eventually concluded it was the spirit or presence of a child, and it never felt malevolent or anything like that. Sometimes it would tug on the bottom of our blankets and wake us up. After we adopted our Australian Cattle Dog such "incidents" seemed to cease, save for the odd occurrence. Makes one wonder if "ghosts" really exist outside our minds, or if we haunt ourselves with demons of our past.
The presence I always felt was a young girl, I would say 10 years old or so.
My daughter, the only time she was afraid, came running into our room crying saying someone was in her room.
She was about 14 or so at the time. She was not asleep yet, and she said she heard someone walking in the room, she thought it was her mom and turned over to see what her mom was doing and saw someone facing her brothers room.. she said a girl.
This is the only time anyone saw a full apparition. We saw movements numerous times, shadows etc. But not a recognizable form.

You're either being hoaxed by somebody or you're making it all up out of your head. Look for a reason for your superstitious supernatural nonsense being completely natural.

Tellingn tall tales to get attention would be a natural explanation too. Also mental illness can sometimes explain that kind of nonsensical stories.
Go troll somewhere else.

The presence I always felt was a young girl, I would say 10 years old or so.
My daughter, the only time she was afraid, came running into our room crying saying someone was in her room.
She was about 14 or so at the time. She was not asleep yet, and she said she heard someone walking in the room, she thought it was her mom and turned over to see what her mom was doing and saw someone facing her brothers room.. she said a girl.
This is the only time anyone saw a full apparition. We saw movements numerous times, shadows etc. But not a recognizable form.

Were these incidents time related—did they happen around the same time stamps every day? When the wife and I were dealing with the child "spirit" I mentioned above, the incidents seemed related to very specific times throughout the day and night. The little bugger "spirit" would get quite active around our regular bedtime and would also seem to target me if stayed up late by myself, almost as if it wanted the house to itself. It would also act up if we were gone for long periods of time.

Did you ever call someone in to investigate?

Go troll somewhere else.
I wasn't trolling, I was responding to tales of the supernatural in the way it should be responded to.

And now you're already demanding that you only get agreement on your story. Is that a prerequisite of this section?

Maybe it should be so it could save normal people from wasting time on it. You won't find me objecting!

Were these incidents time related—did they happen around the same time stamps every day? When the wife and I were dealing with the child "spirit" I mentioned above, the incidents seemed related to very specific times throughout the day and night. The little bugger "spirit" would get quite active around our regular bedtime and would also seem to target me if stayed up late by myself, almost as if it wanted the house to itself. It would also act up if we were gone for long periods of time.

Did you ever call someone in to investigate?
It was a very active home. We all had experiences day or night over those years. But most were at night, usually between 10pm - midnight. I don't believe anyone ever had any experiences late-late at night however.

We talked about calling someone, but always felt whoever it was would be some crackpot weirdo, so no we never did.
My nephew, was a staunch non believer until he stayed a weekend downstairs over a visit.
Freaked him out. He heard the footsteps that evening and was nervous enough to wake me up. He said he got up and walked to the doorway, still hearing the footsteps coming right toward him but obviously no one was there. The dude was white, I just kept saying I told you so. He was well into his 20s then, and slept in my son's room that night.
He still occasionally brings that up to this day.

I wasn't trolling, I was responding to tales of the supernatural in the way it should be responded to.

And now you're already demanding that you only get agreement on your story. Is that a prerequisite of this section?

Maybe it should be so it could save normal people from wasting time on it. You won't find me objecting!

If you consider reading about the OP's personal experiences a waste of time, then why on earth would you—waste your time reading about it? Your type of response to the OP's experiences are precisely why people who have suffered violent hauntings tend to be so hesitant to seek real help, because they are embarrassed and unsure themselves if such events really transpired or if they are losing their minds. Really, you should try and keep a more open mind. You don't someday want to be the "boy" who cried wolf, now do you? If reading about paranormal experiences terrifies you so, then don't. Otherwise, give the OP their due benefit of the doubt.

It was a very active home. We all had experiences day or night over those years. But most were at night, usually between 10pm - midnight. I don't believe anyone ever had any experiences late-late at night however.

We talked about calling someone, but always felt whoever it was would be some crackpot weirdo, so no we never did.
My nephew, was a staunch non believer until he stayed a weekend downstairs over a visit.
Freaked him out. He heard the footsteps that evening and was nervous enough to wake me up. He said he got up and walked to the doorway, still hearing the footsteps coming right toward him but obviously no one was there. The dude was white, I just kept saying I told you so. He was well into his 20s then, and slept in my son's room that night.
He still occasionally brings that up to this day.

Funny thing about these kinds of experiences—they can be so intense when they are going on around you, but it is easy to forget or deny they ever happened. I'd be fascinated to know the history of your old house, and of the people who lived there before you . . . and after. Very interesting, and thank you for sharing your experiences. I know from my own experience with the paranormal that it helps to tell others about them.

That's cool.
Nice house too.
I lived in a haunted place in Japan.
Laughing in my ear at 0330...same time...all the time.
Pulled in bed...by like an air hand...banging on walls...the sound of children running through the halls.
And much much more.
Trippy experience.

If you consider reading about the OP's personal experiences a waste of time, then why on earth would you—waste your time reading about it?
Interest in what causes people to imagine the supernatural. Or to help with an explanation that is normal and natural
Your type of response to the OP's experiences are precisely why people who have suffered violent hauntings tend to be so hesitant to seek real help
I don't accept there's anything such as violent hauntings. That kind of thing has always been explainable without turning to ghosts and the supernatural.
, because they are embarrassed and unsure themselves if such events really transpired or if they are losing their minds.
They should be embarrassed and unsure of themselves. But there are plenty of crazies around to hear their stories in any case.
Really, you should try and keep a more open mind.
My mind is completely open to explanations without having to entertain nonsense.
You don't someday want to be the "boy" who cried wolf, now do you? If reading about paranormal experiences terrifies you so, then don't. Otherwise, give the OP their due benefit of the doubt.
And the made up story was creepy anyway, when a father stands around listening to what's going on in his daughter's room. That was a red flag to begin with.

Forum List

Back