I have a few questions...

BUT they are adding fuel to the existing fires of the angry & dissatisfied populace......not a good prospect

I think it's just the opposite. I think they are trying to calm the animals down. But what the hell, they got their pants beat off of them, so you have to throw them a bone once in a while to keep them happy.

Don't worry the gutless Democrats don't have the balls to try that. Besides Democrats are much happier in the minority, sitting on the sidelines bitching and complaining. Being in the majority, being in charge means they are held responsible and accountable they hate that.

BUT they are adding fuel to the existing fires of the angry & dissatisfied populace......not a good prospect

That's what you get when you teach children that everyone is a winner and they deserve a safe place so they don't have to hear dissenting opinions.

Most of Washington was more behind Sanders than Hillary and there were other electors that were considering not voting for Hillary (you didn't read that link, didya?)

Nope, I didn't. I just addressed the general question, which I figured you already laid out.

Electrical (?) College??? I don't fully understand how the Electoral College works by state, but I believe in the Constitution enough to want to protect it. It may need to be changed or amended, but not tossed.

I believe that once you start taking away from the Constitution &/or the Founding Fathers intent for this country.....then you give up all the Freedoms it represents.

"Electrical College" is just a pun I toss out now and then to see if anyone's reading. But I will take this as an invitation.

That Constitution and its shocking Electrical College set the latter up in such a way, and for the purpose of, protecting slavery. It came in the same package with the Three Fifths Compromise by which the South could count, for the purpose of representation and thereby votes in the Electrical College, the number of slaves they owned, times 60 percent ---- giving them more representation than their eligible voter population did, and therefore more clout, which is, again, why six of our first seven POTUSes were Southern slaveowners. And that in turn ensured that the influence of slaveholder interests had more clout than Abolitionists, set up artificially by the spark-gap of the Electrical College.

You might say the infamous Three Fifths Compromise was the "batteries included" in the Electrical College... :eusa_shifty:

So much for "giving up freedoms" huh?

But wait... there's more.

Whether that emphasis on the interests of slave states prolonged the unaddressed agony that led to the Civil War we will never know, but obviously the War and its aftermath blew that Three-Fifths thing out of the water, and the Fourteenth Amendment immediately after that War guaranteed citizenship to the ex-slaves, and guaranteed that no male citizen could be deprived. Again, it specifically said no MALE citizen.

Whelp, now you've got all the states, not just the South, counting their representation including adult citizens who, again like the slaves before them, had no vote in the matter, and that was women. Of course any state could have enfranchised women and doubled their vote count, but --- they were already counting them for the purpose of representation AND Electrical College votes so..... where was the incentive?

Exactly, so it didn't happen, until 1920, several decades later.

Of course now women have a vote so that disparity is gone. Today what the EC does is nullify the votes of every voter in a locked-red or locked-blue state and remove their incentive to vote at all, even if they agree with their state. And it creates this wacko concept of "red states" and "blue states" as if we have different countries sitting side by side on the same land. And further it requires we all enslave ourselves to poll-watching so that we know whether or not we're going to have a vote at all, because with the EC around our collective neck, the only voters who have a vote that counts are those in a "battleground" state, like me, another concept that would not exist if the Electrical College were just switched off and grounded.

So in other words everywhere the Electrical College has been shunted, it's short-circuited somebody's vote, and it's still doing it today. It's like a great big....

BigR.jpg

Last edited:
You mean the Electoral College I think.

"Faithless Electors" sometimes have varied their votes from how the states voted so it's possible, although they risk either fines/prosecution or having their vote nullified, or both. Only one I've heard of was a Bernie supporter in Washington who says he refuses to vote for Hillary.

Yet another reason the whole Electrical College scam needs to go.

"Civil war" is an intriguing reference, since it can certainly be argued that the original Electoral College helped set up the Civil War. The real one.
Damn you are so indocterated Pogo

Again this is the United States of America not the United States of California..

Your values of Seattle is not the same as kansas.. Stop that bullshit

I'm nowhere near either of those places. Actually I'm in rural America, as rural as it gets.

And by the way Kansas is a proper name. It's capitalized.

"Faithless Electors" sometimes have varied their votes from how the states voted so it's possible, although they risk either fines/prosecution or having their vote nullified, or both. Only one I've heard of was a Bernie supporter in Washington who says he refuses to vote for Hillary.

"Civil war" is an intriguing reference, since it can certainly be argued that the original Electoral College helped set up the Civil War. The real one.

Most of Washington was more behind Sanders than Hillary and there were other electors that were considering not voting for Hillary (you didn't read that link, didya?)

Electrical (?) College??? I don't fully understand how the Electoral College works by state, but I believe in the Constitution enough to want to protect it. It may need to be changed or amended, but not tossed.

I believe that once you start taking away from the Constitution &/or the Founding Fathers intent for this country.....then you give up all the Freedoms it represents.

Just because something is in the Constitution does not mean it represents freedom. Changes to the Constitution should not be made lightly, but at times they definitely should be made. The way electors are chosen and vote has, itself, changed since the founding.

Indeed, the way the EC has worked has changed, in effect, three times under three different Amendments -- the 12th, the 14th and the 19th.

I think it's just the opposite. I think they are trying to calm the animals down. But what the hell, they got their pants beat off of them, so you have to throw them a bone once in a while to keep them happy.

I agree that Obama, Clinton & Trump are trying to show a more favorable front in efforts to atleast seem unified. I had meant at the state level, more specifically in Cali, where some officials are making it worse.

Lawmakers Slam Californians Who Voted for Trump as Bigots

Just because something is in the Constitution does not mean it represents freedom. Changes to the Constitution should not be made lightly, but at times they definitely should be made. The way electors are chosen and vote has, itself, changed since the founding.

Not trying to b pissy here, but I do think the whole of the Constitution and all that's in it does represent freedoms. Without it, the people would be at the mercy of a totalitarian rule.

As a whole I agree with you. Individual parts, however, have at times been opposed to freedom. Take the so called Fugitive Slave Clause, or the Three Fifths Compromise, or even the outlawing of alcohol.

The Constitution is a great document, but has never been a perfect one.

because you know better than the guys who created the most successful nation the planet has ever seen.

Poggie does like to infiltrate threads, with his pearls of knowledge with an air of superiority.......yet falls flat when he fails to notice any nuances, subtle or otherwise, when people don't agree.
Kinda like in the story of the Emperors New Clothes.

I don't know if the risk of legal action is a serious one. From what I've read, no one has ever been prosecuted for being a faithless elector. It's even possible the Supreme Court could end up ruling that laws against faithless electors are unconstitutional. :dunno:

"The other 29 and the District do have such laws, but no faithless electors have ever been prosecuted, according to the Archives."
How 'faithless electors' are messing with our electoral maps, explained

They would be found unconstitutional, States have no authority to consider votes cast outside the Sate in determining how their electors vote.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Who said anything about considering votes cast outside the state of a given elector? My point was that the court might decide that electors have the same right to vote their consciences as any other voter and that states do not have the authority to tell electors how they must vote. It's just a possibility I've seen brought up.

because you know better than the guys who created the most successful nation the planet has ever seen.

I sure don't go around counting black people as three-fifths of a person, so yeah I guess I do.
Too bad you don't know the history of that. But then, it would defeat your argument if you did.

It was done to END slavery

The "Three-Fifths" compromise | African American Registry

Not trying to b pissy here, but I do think the whole of the Constitution and all that's in it does represent freedoms. Without it, the people would be at the mercy of a totalitarian rule.

As a whole I agree with you. Individual parts, however, have at times been opposed to freedom. Take the so called Fugitive Slave Clause, or the Three Fifths Compromise, or even the outlawing of alcohol.

The Constitution is a great document, but has never been a perfect one.

No, not perfect at all.....same with our judicial system that prosecutes the innocent & lets the guilty go free.....all because of some technicality.

But it is what it is and should be protected at all costs........it is what our soldiers have & do fight & die for from the beginning.

Poggie does like to infiltrate threads, with his pearls of knowledge with an air of superiority.......yet falls flat when he fails to notice any nuances, subtle or otherwise, when people don't agree.
Kinda like in the story of the Emperors New Clothes.

Hey, my points are all laid out there ripe for deconstruction. I've already done these, and more, in the EC thread that was already going on. Nobody yet has been able to refute them. I'm sure not stopping anybody from trying.

But I like the whole electrical angle. Think of me as the oscilloscope that shows you what's really going on in

--- current events.

latest

I sure don't go around counting black people as three-fifths of a person, so yeah I guess I do.
Too bad you don't know the history of that. But then, it would defeat your argument if you did.

It was done to END slavery

The "Three-Fifths" compromise | African American Registry

Too bad you didn't read your own link:

>> The issue of how to count slaves split the delegates into two groups. The northerners regarded slaves as property who should receive no representation. Southerners demanded that Blacks be counted with whites. The compromise clearly reflected the strength of the pro-slavery forces at the convention. The “Three-fifths Compromise” allowed a state to count three fifths of each Black person in determining political representation in the House.

Rather than halting or slowing the importation of slaves in the south, slavery had been given a new life — a political life. Even when the law stopped the importing of new slaves in 1808, the south continued to increase its overall political status and electoral votes by adding and breeding slaves illegally. <<​

Your own link. Which is what I just laid down here.

I don't know if the risk of legal action is a serious one. From what I've read, no one has ever been prosecuted for being a faithless elector. It's even possible the Supreme Court could end up ruling that laws against faithless electors are unconstitutional. :dunno:

"The other 29 and the District do have such laws, but no faithless electors have ever been prosecuted, according to the Archives."

They would be found unconstitutional, States have no authority to consider votes cast outside the Sate in determining how their electors vote.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Who said anything about considering votes cast outside the state of a given elector? My point was that the court might decide that electors have the same right to vote their consciences as any other voter and that states do not have the authority to tell electors how they must vote. It's just a possibility I've seen brought up.

Electors are there to represent their State, not themselves, they do that when they vote in their State elections.

Nope, I didn't. I just addressed the general question, which I figured you already laid out.

"Electrical College" is just a pun I toss out now and then to see if anyone's reading. But I will take this as an invitation.

That Constitution and its shocking Electrical College set the latter up in such a way, and for the purpose of, protecting slavery. It came in the same package with the Three Fifths Compromise by which the South could count, for the purpose of representation and thereby votes in the Electrical College, the number of slaves they owned, times 60 percent ---- giving them more representation than their eligible voter population did, and therefore more clout, which is, again, why six of our first seven POTUSes were Southern slaveowners. And that in turn ensured that the influence of slaveholder interests had more clout than Abolitionists, set up artificially by the spark-gap of the Electrical College.

You might say the infamous Three Fifths Compromise was the "batteries included" in the Electrical College... :eusa_shifty:

Whether that emphasis on the interests of slave states prolonged the unaddressed agony that led to the Civil War we will never know, but obviously the War and its aftermath blew that Three-Fifths thing out of the water, and the Fourteenth Amendment immediately after that War guaranteed citizenship to the ex-slaves, and guaranteed that no male citizen could be deprived. Again, it specifically said no MALE citizen.

Whelp, now you've got all the states, not just the South, counting their representation including adult citizens who, again like the slaves before them, had no vote in the matter, and that was women. Of course any state could have enfranchised women and doubled their vote count, but --- they were already counting them for the purpose of representation AND Electrical College votes so..... where was the incentive?

Of course now women have a vote so that disparity is gone. Today what the EC does is nullify the votes of every voter in a locked-red or locked-blue state and remove their incentive to vote at all, even if they agree with their state. And it creates this wacko concept of "red states" and "blue states" as if we have different countries sitting side by side on the same land. And further it requires we all enslave ourselves to poll-watching so that we know whether or not we're going to have a vote at all, because with the EC around our collective neck, the only voters who have a vote that counts are those in a "battleground" state, like me, another concept that would not exist if the Electrical College were just switched off and grounded.

So in other words everywhere the Electrical College has been shunted, it's short-circuited somebody's vote, and it's still doing it today. It's like a great big....

BigR.jpg
Pogo you are a young girl.. The electoral college never cancels out anyone's vote... Again it was designed to make everything thing fair.. Other wise the guys and girls who wanted to run for president wouldn't campaign in Des Moines Iowa

BigR.jpg
Pogo you are a young girl.. The electoral college never cancels out anyone's vote... Again it was designed to make everything thing fair.. Other wise the guys and girls who wanted to run for president wouldn't campaign in Des Moines Iowa

Oh but it does. See, it works like this:

I had a vote in the recent election. That's only because my state was "in play" according to the EC.

But my friends and relatives in Mississippi and Louisiana and Texas had no vote. Their state was already decided regardless what they did. They could have voted this way, that way, or not voted at all. Wouldn't mean jack squat. Similarly my friends and relatives in California and Vermont and Washington had no vote. Their state was already decided regardless what they did. They could have voted this way, that way, or not voted at all. Wouldn't mean jack squat.

In every case if they voted a different way from how their state did, the state cancelled their vote and made it meaningless. And if they voted the same way their state did, the state didn't even notice, because it was already going that way.

Which is also how it discourages voting. There's no point if your state is already decided.

The EC in effect decides what states are "in play". The rest of y'all are just like a foul ball --- out of play.

You have to be a moron to be OK with that.

Electors are there to represent their State, not themselves, they do that when they vote in their State elections.

But they are able to vote pretty much however they want as electors. It doesn't happen that often, but it certainly does happen that electors go against the voters of their state. They have, to this point at least, faced no legal consequences. The Supreme Court ruled in Ray v Blair that electors can be required to pledge to vote for the party's nominee before being certified, but did not say anything about having to follow that pledge.

I agree they should vote in the manner their particular state has determined, but they are not bound to do so. :dunno:

BigR.jpg

Oh but it does. See, it works like this:

I had a vote in the recent election. That's only because my state was "in play" according to the EC.

But my friends and relatives in Mississippi and Louisiana and Texas had no vote. Their state was already decided regardless what they did. They could have voted this way, that way, or not voted at all. Wouldn't mean jack squat. Similarly my friends and relatives in California and Vermont and Washington had no vote. Their state was already decided regardless what they did. They could have voted this way, that way, or not voted at all. Wouldn't mean jack squat.

In every case if they voted a different way from how their state did, the state cancelled their vote and made it meaningless. And if they voted the same way their state did, the state didn't even notice, because it was already going that way.

Which is also how it discourages voting. There's no point if your state is already decided.

The EC in effect decides what states are "in play". The rest of y'all are just like a foul ball --- out of play.

You have to be a moron to be OK with that.
You can move... Why don't you get Pogo the values of Flint is not the same as union south Carolina.?

That's why the electoral college is so important

Forum List

Back