I have a few questions...

Look at the map Pogo..

You are leaving out the working men in a popular vote... We don't agree with you

Look at the map Pogo..

You are leaving out the working men in a popular vote... We don't agree with you

That is a good point. You know, a lot of welfare people do live in these highly populated blue areas. It's bad enough that they are allowed to vote in the first place, but to give them the power to control the leaders for the entire country would be even worse.

You mean the Electoral College I think.

"Faithless Electors" sometimes have varied their votes from how the states voted so it's possible, although they risk either fines/prosecution or having their vote nullified, or both. Only one I've heard of was a Bernie supporter in Washington who says he refuses to vote for Hillary.

Yet another reason the whole Electrical College scam needs to go.

"Civil war" is an intriguing reference, since it can certainly be argued that the original Electoral College helped set up the Civil War. The real one.

I don't know if the risk of legal action is a serious one. From what I've read, no one has ever been prosecuted for being a faithless elector. It's even possible the Supreme Court could end up ruling that laws against faithless electors are unconstitutional. :dunno:

"The other 29 and the District do have such laws, but no faithless electors have ever been prosecuted, according to the Archives."
How 'faithless electors' are messing with our electoral maps, explained

They would be found unconstitutional, States have no authority to consider votes cast outside the Sate in determining how their electors vote.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Who said anything about considering votes cast outside the state of a given elector? My point was that the court might decide that electors have the same right to vote their consciences as any other voter and that states do not have the authority to tell electors how they must vote. It's just a possibility I've seen brought up.

Electors are there to represent their State, not themselves, they do that when they vote in their State elections.

But they are able to vote pretty much however they want as electors. It doesn't happen that often, but it certainly does happen that electors go against the voters of their state. They have, to this point at least, faced no legal consequences. The Supreme Court ruled in Ray v Blair that electors can be required to pledge to vote for the party's nominee before being certified, but did not say anything about having to follow that pledge.

I agree they should vote in the manner their particular state has determined, but they are not bound to do so. :dunno:

Honest people will keep their pledge, It would take more than 40 to ignore their pledge to alter the results of this election. I simply don't see that happening.

I've been hearing that the Electorate could possibly change the results of the election come December 19th(?) when it's officiated or confirmed and thereby POSSIBLY giving it to Hillary and booting Trump out.

Is this possible? Has it ever been done before? And do you think they'd really risk doing that & creating an all out civil war? :dunno:

It won't happen,

but it is the beauty of the electoral vote process that, yes, the electors could throw Trump out on his ass.

That's why conservatives love the electoral college, so I hear.

Look at the map Pogo..

That is a good point. You know, a lot of welfare people do live in these highly populated blue areas. It's bad enough that they are allowed to vote in the first place, but to give them the power to control the leaders for the entire country would be even worse.
Ray pal.. Don't ever use the term "allow "

It's not cool

"Faithless Electors" sometimes have varied their votes from how the states voted so it's possible, although they risk either fines/prosecution or having their vote nullified, or both. Only one I've heard of was a Bernie supporter in Washington who says he refuses to vote for Hillary.

"Civil war" is an intriguing reference, since it can certainly be argued that the original Electoral College helped set up the Civil War. The real one.

You realize Trump won almost every single county accross the board, including some blue ones?
The Electoral College voted for who the majority voted for in thier counties.

Ya know NY the weirdest thing is going to happen when trump is going for a second term you are going to vote for him and you know it

Most of Washington was more behind Sanders than Hillary and there were other electors that were considering not voting for Hillary (you didn't read that link, didya?)

Nope, I didn't. I just addressed the general question, which I figured you already laid out.

Electrical (?) College??? I don't fully understand how the Electoral College works by state, but I believe in the Constitution enough to want to protect it. It may need to be changed or amended, but not tossed.

I believe that once you start taking away from the Constitution &/or the Founding Fathers intent for this country.....then you give up all the Freedoms it represents.

"Electrical College" is just a pun I toss out now and then to see if anyone's reading. But I will take this as an invitation.

That Constitution and its shocking Electrical College set the latter up in such a way, and for the purpose of, protecting slavery. It came in the same package with the Three Fifths Compromise by which the South could count, for the purpose of representation and thereby votes in the Electrical College, the number of slaves they owned, times 60 percent ---- giving them more representation than their eligible voter population did, and therefore more clout, which is, again, why six of our first seven POTUSes were Southern slaveowners. And that in turn ensured that the influence of slaveholder interests had more clout than Abolitionists, set up artificially by the spark-gap of the Electrical College.

You might say the infamous Three Fifths Compromise was the "batteries included" in the Electrical College... :eusa_shifty:

So much for "giving up freedoms" huh?

But wait... there's more.

Whether that emphasis on the interests of slave states prolonged the unaddressed agony that led to the Civil War we will never know, but obviously the War and its aftermath blew that Three-Fifths thing out of the water, and the Fourteenth Amendment immediately after that War guaranteed citizenship to the ex-slaves, and guaranteed that no male citizen could be deprived. Again, it specifically said no MALE citizen.

Whelp, now you've got all the states, not just the South, counting their representation including adult citizens who, again like the slaves before them, had no vote in the matter, and that was women. Of course any state could have enfranchised women and doubled their vote count, but --- they were already counting them for the purpose of representation AND Electrical College votes so..... where was the incentive?

Exactly, so it didn't happen, until 1920, several decades later.

Of course now women have a vote so that disparity is gone. Today what the EC does is nullify the votes of every voter in a locked-red or locked-blue state and remove their incentive to vote at all, even if they agree with their state. And it creates this wacko concept of "red states" and "blue states" as if we have different countries sitting side by side on the same land. And further it requires we all enslave ourselves to poll-watching so that we know whether or not we're going to have a vote at all, because with the EC around our collective neck, the only voters who have a vote that counts are those in a "battleground" state, like me, another concept that would not exist if the Electrical College were just switched off and grounded.

So in other words everywhere the Electrical College has been shunted, it's short-circuited somebody's vote, and it's still doing it today. It's like a great big....

BigR.jpg
Pogo you are a young girl.. The electoral college never cancels out anyone's vote... Again it was designed to make everything thing fair.. Other wise the guys and girls who wanted to run for president wouldn't campaign in Des Moines Iowa

Oh but it does. See, it works like this:

I had a vote in the recent election. That's only because my state was "in play" according to the EC.

But my friends and relatives in Mississippi and Louisiana and Texas had no vote. Their state was already decided regardless what they did. They could have voted this way, that way, or not voted at all. Wouldn't mean jack squat. Similarly my friends and relatives in California and Vermont and Washington had no vote. Their state was already decided regardless what they did. They could have voted this way, that way, or not voted at all. Wouldn't mean jack squat.

In every case if they voted a different way from how their state did, the state cancelled their vote and made it meaningless. And if they voted the same way their state did, the state didn't even notice, because it was already going that way.

Which is also how it discourages voting. There's no point if your state is already decided.

The EC in effect decides what states are "in play". The rest of y'all are just like a foul ball --- out of play.

You have to be a moron to be OK with that.

I do have to agree with you on that point......of the 'safe' states. It is unfair to the opposing voters because they are not represented. In fact, even in swing states the minority are also not represented. But at least they do get their votes counted in order to determine the majority. In addition, those that live on the west coast, Alaska or Hawaii have a hard time justifying their votes count either way they voted. I have yet to see an election that hasn't been called long before they got that far west. It's as if we don't count or exist.
I don't deny there needs to be changes to the electoral college & how it works, but I do think it needs to stay.

Perhaps a better system would be for all states to vote and the electorals be divided up accordingly instead of the whole state being determined by the majority. As the map of Washington shows, there is a whole lot of Republicans that aren't accounted for even though they are more rural areas. And don't forget even in the counties that are determined, there are opposing voters in each. Believe it or not, there are still over 400,000 votes that haven't been counted yet and won't be until the end of this month.

November 8, 2016 General Election - Voter Turnout

In other words, Washington has 12 delegates and 4.2m registered voters but only 67% or 3.2m actually voted. If 2.2m voted Democrat and 1m voted Republican, then proportionately the delegates would vote accordingly. Assign 1 or 2 of those 12 to those who didn't vote & not count those so that the non voter is represented (yes it sucks but that would also get those people to vote if they knew they were being represented). With the remainder, 3 vote Republican, 7 Democrat. That way each portion of the population is counted & represented and each state is also included before an election is called.

upload_2016-11-13_18-31-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-13_18-22-21.png
    upload_2016-11-13_18-22-21.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 22
Most of Washington was more behind Sanders than Hillary and there were other electors that were considering not voting for Hillary (you didn't read that link, didya?)

Nope, I didn't. I just addressed the general question, which I figured you already laid out.

Electrical (?) College??? I don't fully understand how the Electoral College works by state, but I believe in the Constitution enough to want to protect it. It may need to be changed or amended, but not tossed.

I believe that once you start taking away from the Constitution &/or the Founding Fathers intent for this country.....then you give up all the Freedoms it represents.

"Electrical College" is just a pun I toss out now and then to see if anyone's reading. But I will take this as an invitation.

That Constitution and its shocking Electrical College set the latter up in such a way, and for the purpose of, protecting slavery. It came in the same package with the Three Fifths Compromise by which the South could count, for the purpose of representation and thereby votes in the Electrical College, the number of slaves they owned, times 60 percent ---- giving them more representation than their eligible voter population did, and therefore more clout, which is, again, why six of our first seven POTUSes were Southern slaveowners. And that in turn ensured that the influence of slaveholder interests had more clout than Abolitionists, set up artificially by the spark-gap of the Electrical College.

You might say the infamous Three Fifths Compromise was the "batteries included" in the Electrical College... :eusa_shifty:

Whether that emphasis on the interests of slave states prolonged the unaddressed agony that led to the Civil War we will never know, but obviously the War and its aftermath blew that Three-Fifths thing out of the water, and the Fourteenth Amendment immediately after that War guaranteed citizenship to the ex-slaves, and guaranteed that no male citizen could be deprived. Again, it specifically said no MALE citizen.

Whelp, now you've got all the states, not just the South, counting their representation including adult citizens who, again like the slaves before them, had no vote in the matter, and that was women. Of course any state could have enfranchised women and doubled their vote count, but --- they were already counting them for the purpose of representation AND Electrical College votes so..... where was the incentive?

Of course now women have a vote so that disparity is gone. Today what the EC does is nullify the votes of every voter in a locked-red or locked-blue state and remove their incentive to vote at all, even if they agree with their state. And it creates this wacko concept of "red states" and "blue states" as if we have different countries sitting side by side on the same land. And further it requires we all enslave ourselves to poll-watching so that we know whether or not we're going to have a vote at all, because with the EC around our collective neck, the only voters who have a vote that counts are those in a "battleground" state, like me, another concept that would not exist if the Electrical College were just switched off and grounded.

So in other words everywhere the Electrical College has been shunted, it's short-circuited somebody's vote, and it's still doing it today. It's like a great big....

BigR.jpg
Pogo you are a young girl.. The electoral college never cancels out anyone's vote... Again it was designed to make everything thing fair.. Other wise the guys and girls who wanted to run for president wouldn't campaign in Des Moines Iowa

I had a vote in the recent election. That's only because my state was "in play" according to the EC.

But my friends and relatives in Mississippi and Louisiana and Texas had no vote. Their state was already decided regardless what they did. They could have voted this way, that way, or not voted at all. Wouldn't mean jack squat. Similarly my friends and relatives in California and Vermont and Washington had no vote. Their state was already decided regardless what they did. They could have voted this way, that way, or not voted at all. Wouldn't mean jack squat.

In every case if they voted a different way from how their state did, the state cancelled their vote and made it meaningless. And if they voted the same way their state did, the state didn't even notice, because it was already going that way.

Which is also how it discourages voting. There's no point if your state is already decided.

The EC in effect decides what states are "in play". The rest of y'all are just like a foul ball --- out of play.

I do have to agree with you on that point......of the 'safe' states. It is unfair to the opposing voters because they are not represented. In fact, even in swing states the minority are also not represented. But at least they do get their votes counted in order to determine the majority. In addition, those that live on the west coast, Alaska or Hawaii have a hard time justifying their votes count either way they voted. I have yet to see an election that hasn't been called long before they got that far west. It's as if we don't count or exist.
I don't deny there needs to be changes to the electoral college & how it works, but I do think it needs to stay.

Perhaps a better system would be for all states to vote and the electorals be divided up accordingly instead of the whole state being determined by the majority. As the map of Washington shows, there is a whole lot of Republicans that aren't accounted for even though they are more rural areas. And don't forget even in the counties that are determined, there are opposing voters in each. Believe it or not, there are still over 400,000 votes that haven't been counted yet and won't be until the end of this month.

In other words, Washington has 12 delegates and 4.2m registered voters but only 67% or 3.2m actually voted. If 2.2m voted Democrat and 1m voted Republican, then proportionately the delegates would vote accordingly. Assign 1 or 2 of those 12 to those who didn't vote & not count those so that the non voter is represented (yes it sucks but that would also get those people to vote if they knew they were being represented). With the remainder, 3 vote Republican, 7 Democrat. That way each portion of the population is counted & represented and each state is also included before an election is called.

View attachment 98364

I know what you are saying my friend but the electoral college was set up perfectly.. Liberals going to bitch about this for 8 years the right president again came in at the right time

BigR.jpg

View attachment 98364

I know what you are saying my friend but the electoral college was set up perfectly.. Liberals going to bitch about this for 8 years the right president again came in at the right time

It's not perfect if all voters aren't represented or counted. Don't forget when it was set up, there were only 13 states AND no instant media coverage of the results. They HAD to count everyone before declaring a winner :funnyface:

BigR.jpg

View attachment 98364

If by "set up perfectly" you mean subject to changes over time and differences on a state by state basis, maybe you are right. :p

You realize Trump won almost every single county accross the board, including some blue ones?
The Electoral College voted for who the majority voted for in thier counties.

I don't think the EC votes by county, no.

BigR.jpg

View attachment 98364

Yes, I know there are literally millions of votes not counted yet and I agree it's not fair to you western time zones, and yes it is as if you don't count. That shouldn't be.

Here's one thought on that --
Not that long ago TV stations were called to task, rightly, for calling elections in a state where the polls were still open. That had, interestingly, the same effect as my main complaint about the Electrical College --- that people still in line at the polls or on their way there, then had no reason to go vote, since it wasn't going to matter. Since then the media have strictly followed a policy of not reporting any returns before that state's polls close so as not to influence it.

Oddly, none of these EC fans had a problem with the media fixing the same problem the EC still has. That's especially revealing.

But here's what we could do --- no poll results are announced, not even by the states, until EVERY state has voted and their polls are closed. There's no reason we need to know "NOW". That would keep things equitable in the west --- gotta wait for Hawaìi before we can see Maine.

The Media might not like that since they wouldn't get to milk as much ad revenue from the drama, but fuck 'em. We're not their slaves.

In another thread we were musing about what if the Electors voted proportionally by how their state voted, so that in the example of my state with 15 total, according to the PV Rump would get 8 and Hillary would get 7.... and yes that would be more fair. But then again if you do that, you're just reflecting the popular vote anyway so -- what's the point. Cut out the middleman and get straight to it.

There's really no reason we should have to send our vote through some kind of relay system.

Last edited:

BigR.jpg

View attachment 98364

If by "set up perfectly" you mean subject to changes over time and differences on a state by state basis, maybe you are right. :p

>> We take it for granted that the individual votes we cast will be the ones that select the slate of presidential electors in our state. But the Constitution makes no such guarantee. In fact, it says the states appoint electors “in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct.”

Some of the Founders worried that rash decision-making by the collective body politic would be “radically vicious” or “liable to deceptions” if they directly elected the president, for the people would lack the “capacity to judge” candidates. While members of the House of Representatives would be accountable directly to the people, presidential elections would occur indirectly. Electors, not the people, would elect the president. And state legislatures could decide how.

...And state legislatures have modified the rules for the selection of presidential electors when they worry that the people of the state will vote for a disfavored candidate. In 1892, for instance, Democrats gained control of the Michigan legislature. They decided that presidential electors should be appointed according to popular vote totals in each congressional district, as opposed to the statewide winner-take-all system that had previously existed. Michiganders had consistently voted for a slate of Republican electors in the recent past, and the move to elections by district guaranteed that Democrats would win at least a few of electoral votes.

In McPherson v. Blacker, the Supreme Court approved Michigan’s move and found that the mode of appointing electors was “exclusively” reserved to the states. The court would not interfere with the state legislature’s decision, whatever the reason. << --- from here
That's how the Constitution technically sets it up --- it's up to each state Legislature to decide how they select their Electors. So the answer to the OP question is that Constitutionally yes there is wiggle room. Whether there is, or will be, the political will is another question. A very similar question was being asked about the Republican Party before its convention.

BigR.jpg

View attachment 98364

Yes, I know there are literally millions of votes not counted yet and I agree it's not fair to you western time zones, and yes it is as if you don't count. That shouldn't be.

In another thread we were musing about what if the Electors voted proportionally by how their state voted, so that in the example of my state with 15 total, according to the PV Rump would get 8 and Hillary would get 7.... and yes that would be more fair. But then again if you do that, you're just reflecting the popular vote anyway so -- what's the point. Cut out the middleman and get straight to it.

There's really no reason we should have to send our vote through some kind of relay system.

Because it's within the Constitution and how the Founding Fathers wanted that extra step to ensure everyone is represented. You can't pick & choose what suits you about the law of the land, it must be taken as a whole. Once you start taking from it, like in the game Jenga or house of cards, it's only a matter of time before it implodes.
That Constitution is what keeps us from becoming like North Korea or China of the Tiananmen Square days where you could be shot for even saying anything like that. And anyone that speaks against it is in effect thumbing their nose at all those who have served &/or died fighting on it's behalf. Shame on you for even thinking that because of convenience.

I've been hearing that the Electorate could possibly change the results of the election come December 19th(?) when it's officiated or confirmed and thereby POSSIBLY giving it to Hillary and booting Trump out.

Is this possible? Has it ever been done before? And do you think they'd really risk doing that & creating an all out civil war? :dunno:

It is possible for the states to change electoral votes to another candidate. Only a few states have it as law to give the electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote.

However to do so at this point would cause a lot more problems than it would fix.

It would also prove Trumps comments about rigged elections.

Because it's within the Constitution and how the Founding Fathers wanted that extra step to ensure everyone is represented.

But it doesn't --- it does the opposite, ensuring everyone is NOT represented... as we've demonstrated and you agreed.

That Constitution is what keeps us from becoming like North Korea or China of the Tiananmen Square days where you could be shot for even saying anything like that. And anyone that speaks against it is in effect thumbing their nose at all those who have served &/or died fighting on it's behalf. Shame on you for even thinking that because of convenience.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...... what the hell are you even talking about? :dunno:

As already noted before, HOW a state chooses its electors is up to that state, so any or every state could indeed choose to select their electors proportional to that state's vote. The Constitution specifically leaves it up to them to do that. They could select those Electors any way they want.

We already have two states ---- Maine and Nebraska ---- who use a system at variance with the "winner take all" crapola.

BigR.jpg

View attachment 98364

Because it's within the Constitution and how the Founding Fathers wanted that extra step to ensure everyone is represented. You can't pick & choose what suits you about the law of the land, it must be taken as a whole. Once you start taking from it, like in the game Jenga or house of cards, it's only a matter of time before it implodes.

The electoral votes for president were created to keep all states in play for the election, without the electoral college, the candidates would only focus on about 4 states and not pay much attention to the rest!

View attachment 98364

The electoral votes for president were created to keep all states in play for the election, without the electoral college, the candidates would only focus on about 4 states and not pay much attention to the rest!

The whole idea of "states in play" is a perversion created by how the EC works.

My state was "in play", the OP's state wasn't. That means I got a vote, and she didn't. That's not fair.

>> Under any system, candidates try to spend their time in places where they can reach the most voters. But in a direct election, with every vote counting equally, candidates would have an incentive to appeal to voters everywhere, not just those in swing states. Because the price of advertising is mainly a function of market size, it does not cost more to reach 10,000 voters in Wyoming than it does to reach 10,000 voters in New York or Los Angeles.

It’s the electoral college that shortchanges voters. Because it makes no sense for candidates to spend time or money in states they either cannot win or are certain to win, thriving cities such as Atlanta, San Francisco and El Paso get no love from White House hopefuls.

Making every vote count in every state would have other benefits. It would stimulate party-building efforts and increase turnout. People are more likely to cast a ballot if they think their vote matters. << -- Five Myths about the Electrical College (Myth 4)​

Forum List

Back