Humans need not apply...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Whether a cartman, wagoner, teamster or driver, the profession of transporting goods over land is as old as commerce itself...and, at least in developed countries, this will likely be the last generation of human transportation workers.

And we're not the only ones...cabbies, baristas, fast food employees, cashiers...and it's happening right now...

...and we aren't even close to ready...

Whether a cartman, wagoner, teamster or driver, the profession of transporting goods over land is as old as commerce itself...and, at least in developed countries, this will likely be the last generation of human transportation workers.

And we're not the only ones...cabbies, baristas, fast food employees, cashiers...and it's happening right now...

Extremely interesting....Thanks for sharing.

While this is interseting it's been around for a long time.
In my machineshop years they came out with machines that could learn what you did.
All you needed to do was tell your lathe or mill to remember and it would do everything you did when making a part.
This came after the CNC which still rules.
The learnable machines are for smaller batch jobs.

In my machineshop years they came out with machines that could learn what you did.
All you needed to do was tell your lathe or mill to remember and it would do everything you did when making a part.
Moore's Law, dude.

Moore's Law, dude.

Doesn't apply in this case.

Robots will replace humans workers but this will not cause unemployment anymore than the invention of any other machine caused unemployment.

I dinner without a waitress is just a vending machine.

I'm not sure about now, but prior to the pandemic, trucking companies were having trouble attracting truck drivers at $70,000 p.a. wages.
It's a tough job for company drivers.
Working whatever schedule is required, always away from home, meeting impossible appointment deadlines, road construction and accident delays and driving on roads with some of the dumbest asses in captivity.

Truck driver also consistently makes the top three of deadliest and most dangerous job lists since the lists began.

But...like manufacturing once was...it has always been a reliable profession for advancement into the middle class for millions.

A driver could advance to top pay or buy their own truck and easily make six figures while increasing home time...and, if they are ambitious...buy more trucks and become job creators.

So losing trucking is going to be a major blow to the working class.

But that's not really all the video was about. It was remarkable how many white collar jobs were going to be automated...not to mention all the other jobs highlighted in the video.

After watching, there were few jobs I COULDN'T imagine bots and automation taking over eventually.

Last edited:

Tell that to the chef.

Waitresses may survive... due to their pay structure....at least in the United States where tipping is the norm.

Baristas at the Starbucks on the other hand...they'll likely go the way of the drivers and fast food workers.

It's cost versus benefit.

Self checkout has proven that folks just do not care if they interact with a person. And at the eventual $15 per hour plus benefits...it's a no brainer to install automation.

Tell that to the chef.

Ok
chef.jpg

Forum List

Back