How to calculate the source power for an electrostatic smoker?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
The meaning of this is that meat is hung on the cathode, smoke from the steam generator is fed through the anode grate, the smoke is ionized and rushes to the catod through the layers of meat, due to this deeper and faster penetration is achieved.

I cannot find ready sources for such smoking. They are used in ready-made smokers, but I need a separate one.

There are home-made options from ignition coils and television transformers, but I'm not sure that the power of one such source is enough (maybe try to turn them on in parallel?)

The volume of the smoking chamber is approximately 0.5 cubic meters (dimensions 670mm - 570mm - 1250mm)
it would probably be more correct to calculate this by the weight of the meat, but I do not know this weight, sorry. This is not my device.

The voltage used there is from about 10 to 25 kilovolts (I think that for safety, it is desirable to make the voltage and power as low as possible)

Last edited:
The meaning of this is that meat is hung on the cathode, smoke from the steam generator is fed through the anode grate, the smoke is ionized and rushes to the catod through the layers of meat, due to this deeper and faster penetration is achieved.

I cannot find ready sources for such smoking. They are used in ready-made smokers, but I need a separate one.

There are home-made options from ignition coils and television transformers, but I'm not sure that the power of one such source is enough (maybe try to turn them on in parallel?)

The volume of the smoking chamber is approximately 0.5 cubic meters (dimensions 670mm - 570mm - 1250mm)
it would probably be more correct to calculate this by the weight of the meat, but I do not know this weight, sorry. This is not my device.

The voltage used there is from about 10 to 25 kilovolts (I think that for safety, it is desirable to make the voltage and power as low as possible)
One transformer should be plenty. All it has to do is induce high voltage charge between the meat & smoke to attract smoke to the meat. It's just like electrostatic painting or powder coating.

Forum List

Back