Zone1 How should non-Jews fix antisemitism?

Just cleaned thread. Snip the long dives into history of the Palestinian "state". Also snipped some other "diplomatic" foreign policy diversions out. Don't panic. Most posts were prompted by people who are now thread-banned. Dont get thread-banned.

Great discussion actually.

Just cleaned thread. Snip the long dives into history of the Palestinian "state". Also snipped some other "diplomatic" foreign policy diversions out. Don't panic. Most posts were prompted by people who are now thread-banned. Dont get thread-banned.

Great discussion actually.
Thank you. I’ve tried to pull the topic back to “how to combat antisemitism”, and the antisemites keep going back to dumping on Israel. (It certainly wasn’t my intention, but it DOES show the overlap between one-sided condemnation of Israel and hostility toward Jews,)

This gave me another idea as to how to reduce antisemitism. High school students should be taught the FULL story of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. The problem of course is that educators are liberal, and would probably present from an anti-Israel position.

In any event, thanks for cleaning up the thread and not closing it. We have had a few good suggestions in the midst of all the Jew-hating posters, and perhaps we will get a few more.

Actually they are. They are labeled “self hating Jews”.
This is true. (Some of) the liberal Jews are despicable to conservative Jews, so much to the point that conservative Jews are driven out of their synagogues via hostility and join more Orthodox shuls. This is a big reason the very observant Chabad House near me has seen a big influx of new congregants.

I myself had a liberal Jew I didn’t know approach me at the lunch reception following my own father’s funeral - he knew I was the daughter because I had just delivered the eulogy - and lambast me about voting for a racist.

This is true. (Some of) the liberal Jews are despicable to conservative Jews, so much to the point that conservative Jews are driven out of their synagogues via hostility and join more Orthodox shuls. This is a big reason the very observant Chabad House near me has seen a big influx of new congregants.

I myself had a liberal Jew I didn’t know approach me at the lunch reception following my own father’s funeral - he knew I was the daughter because I had just delivered the eulogy - and lambast me about voting for a racist.

Politics came up in your father's eulogy?

I strongly suspect the intolerance ways given liberal Jews are called self hating. That sort of behavior you describe certainly doesn’t at a funeral. :(

Loving Jews and pointing them to Messiah is NOT antisemitic. Not by a long sh
It’s disrespectful to tell people that their religion is wrong.

In my experience, the antisemitism on the right comes from a different place than the antisemitism on the left. On the left, it is from siding with Palestinians; on the right it is from thinking Jews who don’t abandon their religion are going to Hell.

So….there might be two different approaches to reducing antisemitism, one for the left and one for the right.

Politics came up in your father's eulogy?
No, of course not. That guy just assumed I was a Republican because he belongs to the same synagogue as my parents (which is why he came to the funeral….he knew my dad), and knew my parents were.

I strongly suspect the intolerance ways given liberal Jews are called self hating. That sort of behavior you describe certainly doesn’t at a funeral. :(
And conservative Jews are being driven out of synagogues via hostility is inexcusable. I even had a liberal Jew tell me you can’t be Republican and Jewish, both. (The flip side of “if you don’t vote for me, you ain’t black.) Another nasty liberal Jew sent me a joke mocking Republican Jews. And I never once said anything negative to any of them - I avoid politics like the plague when I’m around liberal Jews.

And conservative Jews are being driven out of synagogues via hostility is inexcusable. I even had a liberal Jew tell me you can’t be Republican and Jewish, both. (The flip side of “if you don’t vote for me, you ain’t black.) Another nasty liberal Jew sent me a joke mocking Republican Jews. And I never once said anything negative to any of them - I avoid politics like the plague when I’m around liberal Jews.
Politics and religion are dicey. Try being a liberal Christian in a red area…or a heathen ;).

Please let me remind you that we are not discussing the Arab-Israeli conflict. This thread is on how to combat antisemitism.

Do you have any suggestions?

Several posters have dismissed the Palestinians. That mindset is an ongoing source of antisemitism.. Funny since Arabs are semites descended from Abraham.

Several posters have dismissed the Palestinians. That mindset is an ongoing source of antisemitism.. Funny since Arabs are semites descended from Abraham.
It is not a SOURCE of antisemitism. The REASON that posters fall for the “Palestinians innocent victims and Israelis genociders’ lie is because they are already predisposed against Jews.

Politics and religion are dicey. Try being a liberal Christian in a red area…or a heathen ;).
Probably just as bad as a Trump voter who is a member of a Reform Temple.

And it’s impossible to get away from. My sister went to a Reform temple near where she lives, and the sermon was all about the overturn of Roe v Wade and how awful it was.

(My sister is now driving 45 minutes to an Orthodox shut in order to escape the hate coming from the liberal Jews.)

It is not a SOURCE of antisemitism. The REASON that posters fall for the “Palestinians innocent victims and Israelis genociders’ lie is because they are already predisposed against Jews.

It's important to face the truth. Most people are not prejudiced against Jews at all. Palestinians are victims.

It's important to face the truth. Most people are not prejudiced against Jews at all. Palestinians are victims.
Yes, it’s important to face the truth, which you do not accept. That is why I said a good way to reduce antisemitism is to require students to learn the full history of the Arab-Israeli conflict, including the times the Arabs refused peace offerings because they would be required to recognize Israel’s right to exist.

I think you would benefit from such a course yourself.

It’s disrespectful to tell people that their religion is wrong.

In my experience, the antisemitism on the right comes from a different place than the antisemitism on the left. On the left, it is from siding with Palestinians; on the right it is from thinking Jews who don’t abandon their religion are going to Hell.

So….there might be two different approaches to reducing antisemitism, one for the left and one for the right.
Not when Scripture PLAINLY STATES there is only ONE way to G-d, not thousands.

Forum List

Back