....How many Russians?......

Chillicothe

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2021
It is war over there.....in Ukraine.
And, it is oft said that in war the first casualty is the truth.

I dunno if that is true or not.

But there are folks who are truly interested in the cost in blood Russia is paying for their invasion of Russia.
Today's (3-17-22) New York Times offers us this:

"A staggering number of Russian troop deaths"​

"More than 7,000 Russian troops have been killed in just three weeks of fighting in Ukraine, according to conservative estimates from U.S. intelligence. That’s more than the number of U.S. troops killed over 20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.
Among those killed were three Russian generals, according to Ukrainian and NATO officials. Ukrainian officials reported yesterday that a fourth general had been killed.
U.S. officials say such high numbers have implications for the combat effectiveness of Russian units. A 10 percent casualty rate for a single unit, including dead and wounded, renders it unable to carry out combat-related tasks, according to Pentagon officials, who say Russian casualties are near that level.
Two U.S. military officials said that many Russian generals are talking on unsecured phones and radios. In at least one instance, they said, the Ukrainians intercepted a general’s call, geolocated it, and attacked his position, killing him and his staff. Some Russian troops are also reportedly deserting because of low morale; one recent U.S. intelligence report described soldiers parking their vehicles and walking off into the woods.
The high rate of casualties goes far to explain why Russia’s much-vaunted force has remained largely stalled outside of Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital. With Russian ground forces in disarray, Moscow’s military strategists have increasingly turned to aerial bombardment, at a horrific cost to civilians.
The Wall Street Journal analyzed a two-day battle in Voznesensk, a town in southern Ukraine, during the early days of the war. Ukrainian forces, including local volunteers and the professional military, eliminated most of a Russian battalion tactical group on March 2 and 3."

"A staggering number of Russian troop deaths"​

"More than 7,000 Russian troops have been killed in just three weeks of fighting in Ukraine, according to conservative estimates from U.S. intelligence. That’s more than the number of U.S. troops killed over 20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.
Among those killed were three Russian generals, according to Ukrainian and NATO officials. Ukrainian officials reported yesterday that a fourth general had been killed.
U.S. officials say such high numbers have implications for the combat effectiveness of Russian units. A 10 percent casualty rate for a single unit, including dead and wounded, renders it unable to carry out combat-related tasks, according to Pentagon officials, who say Russian casualties are near that level.
Two U.S. military officials said that many Russian generals are talking on unsecured phones and radios. In at least one instance, they said, the Ukrainians intercepted a general’s call, geolocated it, and attacked his position, killing him and his staff. Some Russian troops are also reportedly deserting because of low morale; one recent U.S. intelligence report described soldiers parking their vehicles and walking off into the woods.
The high rate of casualties goes far to explain why Russia’s much-vaunted force has remained largely stalled outside of Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital. With Russian ground forces in disarray, Moscow’s military strategists have increasingly turned to aerial bombardment, at a horrific cost to civilians.
The Wall Street Journal analyzed a two-day battle in Voznesensk, a town in southern Ukraine, during the early days of the war. Ukrainian forces, including local volunteers and the professional military, eliminated most of a Russian battalion tactical group on March 2 and 3."
Fake News..... :cuckoo:

And I thought this was going to be a "How many Russians does it take to screw in a light bulb" joke!

Fake News..... :cuckoo:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I hear you good poster Sunni.

Can you share with the forum the 'real news' on Russia's KIA?
And if you have a number to share, will you vet it for us?
Give us a credible source?

PS.......The Times piece I offered a taster on above also references the recent Wall Street Journal reportage on the fight near Voznasensk. Did you read the WSJ's piece?
If so did you think that too was 'fake news'?

And it if was fake......well, what is the real story?

Here's your chance Sunni.
Share with the forum your take on the 'real' Russian casualties; and the 'real' battle of Voznasensk.

Batter up.

Good luck getting even a rough estimate of their .mil losses in lives/equipment.
By and by it will shake out but ignore all western estimates for either side now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, I hear your concerns about "western estimates".
It is a fair concern.

But then, that seemingly leaves us with the impression that the good poster 1srelluc is suggesting we should rely on Putin's estimates of his casualties?
Which, last I heard, was 498.

Who should we believe?
Putin?
Or, U.S. intelligence?

Don't run. Explain to everyone your proud embrace of the swastika/Z symbol. Don't you care about coming across as RussoNazi shitstain?
The z means I stand with Russia who is fighting nazis

And it if was fake......well, what is the real story?
Here's your chance Sunni.

and the 'real' battle of Voznasensk.
I talked to my friend Boris online who is in the mighty Russian army fighting to free the Ukrainian people.
He said they are killing Ukrainian insurgents and piling them up like huge stacks of cordwood. They are unskilled, untrained amature fighters and we just mow them down. We feel sad they are dying for the criminal Zelensky and his lies.

Last edited:
"The z means I stand with Russia......"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The March 9th issue of the Washington Post had an interesting piece on the use of the letter "Z" by American far right sympathizers with Vladimir Putin. I'd suggest to posters to try to read it as an informative backgrounder on the use of "Z".

How ‘Z’ became a symbol for supporting Russia’s invasion of Ukraine

".....the letter “Z” of the Latin alphabet — which does not exist in the Cyrillic Russian alphabet — has been deployed beyond the military, pointing to what some experts say is a state-led effort to ramp up support for the war.

But experts like Galeev and others, say its sudden use among many Russians follows a state-organized propaganda campaign to rally support, or at least create the impression to the outside world that Russian people stand behind the invasion.
“It is clearly propagated by and organized by the state with the purpose of creating a sense of broad public support for the invasion,” said Henry E. Hale, a professor of political science and international affairs at George Washington University.

Hale added that these symbols can be “powerful tools for authoritarian regimes” like Russia.....

"I talked to my friend Boris online who is in the mighty Russian army......"
Is your friend Boris in a position to know?
What is his rank, unit, responsibility, and experience to date in Ukraine.?

I don't mean to put you on the spot, poster Sunni, but reports from "my friend Boris on the internet".....often come with some concerns about veracity.

I'm mildly confident you can understand why.

Is your friend Boris in a position to know?
What is his rank, unit, responsibility, and experience to date in Ukraine.? I don't mean to put you on the spot, poster Sunni, but reports from "my friend Boris on the internet".....often come with some concerns about veracity.
I'm not allowed to reveal his personal information.
Nor disclose anything concerning the military.
It's a security issue during a time of war.
Surly you can understand.
But he assures me the high Russian casualty figures are grossly inflated by the lying Ukraine government. ...

Last edited:
Ukraine is one of the most corrupt countries on earth. You will never get a honest statement from them.
The European Union is corrupt.
China is corrupt.
North Korea is corrupt.
Venezuela is corrupt.
Mexico is corrupt.
The Biden Administration is corrupt.
Canada is corrupt.
African nations are corrupt.
It's a corrupt world.
As for Russia vs Ukraine. The choice is between Russia, an oppressive, murderous Oligarchy that arrests and/or murders political opponents or, Ukraine, a Democratically elected government.

Forum List

Back