How many people here could start a small business if.....

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
I've been wondering how many people and what kind of businesses could be started on $25,000.00 or less. I can think of a few but then it would depend on what state and/or county you live in and what their regulations are too.

In 1981 when Rod got out of the Air Force no one would give him a job. He was a great mechanic though and he had on lay away a larger set of tools. A little under $400.00 was owed on the tools and my pickup had needs I could not afford to pay a shop for so I borrowed from some future cash I was supposed to get and invested in tools for Christmas that year. The apartment building I lived in had a nice size garage. A local friend of Rod's gave him a whole set of transmission books. Rod took to that like a duck to water and he was good at it. He rebuilt every transmission he could get his hands on.

About a year later I worked for a thrifty nickle advertiser part time. The job selling ads didn't pay much more than gas to drive around; the lady that owned the little advertiser gave me free ads every week as a perk for calling on customers in the area where I lived near. Rod started doing mechanic work out of the garage and I would write catchy little ads for him that would go into the advertiser each week where ever they needed some fill in ads. Before long he had a reputation as the best tranny guy to be found. He had people driving from up to 150 miles away to tell them what was wrong with their transmissions. I also advertised for hauling away unwanted cars. My old dodge pickup got several new to it engines from that. That old pickup had every big block Dodge made in it at one time or another through the years.

The little shop didn't last as Rod would not join the country club (local thuggery in a small town); anyhow after Rod told the club no thank you the electric company threaten to raise my electric all to commercial rates if he didn't close shop. All in all though it was a great experience.

What kind of business do you think could be started now days on a shoe string?

Last edited:
I started a masonry company for less that 5k in the later 1980's. Today I could start an roto rooter service for less than 25k and it usually averages 120k a year. No special license needed.

I know your pain-----I have a story too boring to post------few people are willing to do it. My dad struggled after a prolonged illness too----he had five kids and a very limited wife to support

I know your pain-----I have a story too boring to post------few people are willing to do it. My dad struggled after a prolonged illness too----he had five kids and a very limited wife to support
No pain to that little story. It was merely a stepping stone into something else in store for us. I posted it thinking about the opportunity that so many people will have whether they want it or not as a result of AI and covid.

No pain to that little story. It was merely a stepping stone into something else in store for us. I posted it thinking about the opportunity that so many people will have whether they want it or not as a result of AI and covid.
I have spinal lamina and other assorted medical problems so I lost my ability to work full time yet I can still survive working part time....

you did mention the INITIAL pain---I am delighted it worked out-----HOWEVER few people are able and even less WILLING to endure that pain-----entitlements or the PROMISE THEREOF are far more attractive. The present unrest is all about ENTITLEMENTS and even "REPARATIONS" for
"godonlyknows" what

I have spinal alminat and other assorted medical problems so I lost my ability to work full time yet I can still survive working part time....

AILMENT assboy ------and----I am not impressed

unlicensed home services, power washing, drain rodding, cleanout services, small moves etc. can be done on that 25k. 10 for a truck, you could rent the equipment early on, and I suppose that truck if you needed to, spend the rest on organization and marketing expenses and you're in business....

I know people that have done this during the current situation and they're doing ok. Not great, as your own personal labor can only be leveraged so much, but they're staying afloat.

you did mention the INITIAL pain---I am delighted it worked out-----HOWEVER few people are able and even less WILLING to endure that pain-----entitlements or the PROMISE THEREOF are far more attractive. The present unrest is all about ENTITLEMENTS and even "REPARATIONS" for
"godonlyknows" what
It's damn hard to live on entitlements alone, damn hard.

I have spinal alminat and other assorted medical problems so I lost my ability to work full time yet I can still survive working part time....

AILMENT assboy ------and----I am not impressed
WGF?

I've been wondering how many people and what kind of businesses could be started on $25,000.00 or less. I can think of a few but then it would depend on what state and/or county you live in and what their regulations are too.

In 1981 when Rod got out of the Air Force no one would give him a job. He was a great mechanic though and he had on lay away a larger set of tools. A little under $400.00 was owed on the tools and my pickup had needs I could not afford to pay a shop for so I borrowed from some future cash I was supposed to get and invested in tools for Christmas that year. The apartment building I lived in had a nice size garage. A local friend of Rod's gave him a whole set of transmission books. Rod took to that like a duck to water and he was good at it. He rebuilt every transmission he could get his hands on.

About a year later I worked for a thrifty nickle advertiser part time. The job selling ads didn't pay much more than gas to drive around; the lady that owned the little advertiser gave me free ads every week as a perk for calling on customers in the area where I lived near. Rod started doing mechanic work out of the garage and I would write catchy little ads for him that would go into the advertiser each week where ever they needed some fill in ads. Before long he had a reputation as the best tranny guy to be found. He had people driving from up to 150 miles away to tell them what was wrong with their transmissions. I also advertised for hauling away unwanted cars. My old dodge pickup got several new to it engines from that. That old pickup had every big block Dodge made in it at one time or another through the years.

The little shop didn't last as Rod would not join the country club (local thuggery in a small town); anyhow after Rod told the club no thank you the electric company threaten to raise my electric all to commercial rates if he didn't close shop. All in all though it was a great experience.

What kind of business do you think could be started now days on a shoe string?
My father and I started a home appliance sales and service business for no more than the cost of deposits and a truckload of scratch and dent Kenmores. That was 35 years ago. He's long since retired and I moved on to other things within just a few years but my sisters are still running the business.

Last edited:
unlicensed home services, power washing, drain rodding, cleanout services, small moves etc. can be done on that 25k. 10 for a truck, you could rent the equipment early on, and I suppose that truck if you needed to, spend the rest on organization and marketing expenses and you're in business....

I know people that have done this during the current situation and they're doing ok. Not great, as your own personal labor can only be leveraged so much, but they're staying afloat.
I was thinking about things like a used dump and a small tractor could still be bought for under $25,000.00

"godonlyknows" what
After having a grapefruit size mass removed during that time frame I literally went straight off of welfare into being one of the first women contractors for Idaho DOT. I hated welfare but it was all that was available. It took ten years to get child support from the ex and a young 20's female with no diploma or college degree doesn't have much of a shot at normal things. Not everyone wants welfare or social checks.

It may depend on the amount of space available to work with. Some people may take as long as it takes plants to grow.
I don't get what you mean. Please expound.

I'd love to be able to build a greenhouse some day here like the guy in Nebraska that uses large tubes underground for heating in the Winter. In retrospect I wish we had built at least one more water containment while we had Rod's equipment.

If we ever move from I'll be looking for a place with natural hot and spring water.

Ten years ago I started a photography business with less than $5k. Before Covid hit, I was making right around $85K a year. My best year, 2018, I hit $110K, but I spent about eight months of that year on the road, shooting everything from portraits to racing to endurance sports to real estate ($$$!!) to product photography...

Ten years ago I started a photography business with less than $5k. Before Covid hit, I was making right around $85K a year. My best year, 2018, I hit $110K, but I spent about eight months of that year on the road, shooting everything from portraits to racing to endurance sports to real estate ($$$!!) to product photography...
I've seen in the local swap people asking 'who does photography'. The school pictures business that does school pics in this area and many others was born out of desperation by a fellow back in a depression who was simply looking for a way to feed his family.

Forum List

Back