Zone1 How Evangelicals Became Such Hypocrites

Give your obedience to the republic who worshipped Caesar as if he was a god? Seriously? No.

When Jesus said "render unto Caesar the things of Caesar" it seemed like he was saying to pay Roman taxes but to the dedicated Jew who knew that everything belonged to God he was saying the exact opposite, give Caesar nothing because nothing belonged to Caesar especially in Judea.
Incorrect. That sounds like another one of your secular rationalizations of Jesus. His answer had nothing to do with paying taxes even though the question he was asked was intended to be a trap about paying taxes. When pleasing your government is at odds with pleasing God, a decision has to be made as to who you will please. Sometimes governments follow the will of God and sometimes they don't.

Well thanks. But this post was based on my interest in the article, of which I thought the author was well spoken, and coming from his own education in the ministry, was informative without flaming his own biases.

I can see by replies already, that there aren't as many Christians on this board, as there are Evangelicals, that will have a hard time comprehending they are Pharisees.

But I guess by Jesus Christs own definition, that's what makes them Pharisees.
Hey short bus, Evangelicals ARE Christians.

This is the kind of rhetoric that gets people killed. Coming soon, coming soon. We will know we've crossed the threshold when you are there cheering.

We're almost there too.
Why would Christians be killing people because they do not believe what they say. Are some still living in the old times of torture to get the devil out?

So who, what, why and how is an "evangelical"? I often forget after all my years of growing up in the church, going to an evangelical seminary and my work in ministry, that many or perhaps most Americans have little knowledge and understanding of the evangelical movement, the Christian faith and how it all connects to American culture and American politics. I would say that most Americans are frustrated at the disproportionate influence and political power that evangelical Christians hold. For some the frustration is more personal because of how they've been treated by the church types. Either way, this mysterious species — the evangelicals — seem to be a major problem in American society. As a trained evangelical, and an ordained minister, I would have to say I completely agree.

Who are these evangelicals? First off, their true ancestors are the Pharisees of the New Testament, whom Jesus describes as being obsessed with legalistic questions but neglecting "the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness."

This is the primary group that had Jesus killed.

Much like the Pharisees, today's American evangelicals do not represent the faith in any genuine way. They have done more damage to the name of Christianity than any group I can think of. Their misuse of the Christian faith as a political weapon against anyone they see as an enemy is driven primarily by greed and a thirst for power.

The sheep who follow the most prominent evangelicals are also guilty of refusing to question these so-called leaders of the Christian faith. They should be measuring their pastor's words and deeds against the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Attending church does not mean we check our brains at the door.

What are these evangelicals? Currently and historically, they are nothing more than a political action committee. They have nothing to do with the foundations of the Christian faith.

Their political agenda is based on hate, rejection, condemnation and self-righteousness. The biblical Pharisees, who were the enemies of Jesus, used their political connections to have him killed. In our own time, these new Pharisees use their enormous political influence to reject foreigners, deny health insurance to millions, judge the poor as lazy, refuse any and all regulation of deadly firearms and stand in opposition to equality of opportunity. In short, they stand side by side with the oppressors on virtually every issue.

I concur.

Well thanks. But this post was based on my interest in the article, of which I thought the author was well spoken, and coming from his own education in the ministry, was informative without flaming his own biases.

I can see by replies already, that there aren't as many Christians on this board, as there are Evangelicals, that will have a hard time comprehending they are Pharisees.

But I guess by Jesus Christs own definition, that's what makes them Pharisees.
Take heart. Siddhārtha Gautama was a Hindu reformist. He believed that Hinduism had become fettered. Theology, ritual, authority, grace, mystery and tradition are components of religion. He believed they had become overbalanced. Where the form had replaced the meaning. He didn't reject them. He rejected the imbalance. He was a called the rebel child of Hinduism.

What you are saying is very similar... Evangelicals have replaced the meaning with form. They are the perfect corollary to Pharisees, but in no way is it limited to Evangelicals. All faiths have people to some degree who replace the meaning of their religion with the form of their religion.

So who, what, why and how is an "evangelical"? I often forget after all my years of growing up in the church, going to an evangelical seminary and my work in ministry, that many or perhaps most Americans have little knowledge and understanding of the evangelical movement, the Christian faith and how it all connects to American culture and American politics. I would say that most Americans are frustrated at the disproportionate influence and political power that evangelical Christians hold. For some the frustration is more personal because of how they've been treated by the church types. Either way, this mysterious species — the evangelicals — seem to be a major problem in American society. As a trained evangelical, and an ordained minister, I would have to say I completely agree.

Who are these evangelicals? First off, their true ancestors are the Pharisees of the New Testament, whom Jesus describes as being obsessed with legalistic questions but neglecting "the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness."

This is the primary group that had Jesus killed.

Much like the Pharisees, today's American evangelicals do not represent the faith in any genuine way. They have done more damage to the name of Christianity than any group I can think of. Their misuse of the Christian faith as a political weapon against anyone they see as an enemy is driven primarily by greed and a thirst for power.

The sheep who follow the most prominent evangelicals are also guilty of refusing to question these so-called leaders of the Christian faith. They should be measuring their pastor's words and deeds against the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Attending church does not mean we check our brains at the door.

What are these evangelicals? Currently and historically, they are nothing more than a political action committee. They have nothing to do with the foundations of the Christian faith.

Their political agenda is based on hate, rejection, condemnation and self-righteousness. The biblical Pharisees, who were the enemies of Jesus, used their political connections to have him killed. In our own time, these new Pharisees use their enormous political influence to reject foreigners, deny health insurance to millions, judge the poor as lazy, refuse any and all regulation of deadly firearms and stand in opposition to equality of opportunity. In short, they stand side by side with the oppressors on virtually every issue.

Do you know Chris Hedges. His father was a Minister and like yourself he became a Minister - though I am not sure he ever worked as a Minister. He was a Reporter. He became deeply worried about how the extreme of the evangelicals were acting after they took up the abortion thing because they did not like changes Carter made. They also started working to change American Christianity buying up Seminaries and teaching their kind of Christianity to would be Ministers. He spent some time in one of these Churches and was deeply shocked and saddened at the way they used to destroy the person for their sins and then bring them back to be taught how to behave. He also watched them go on courses which were designed to subdue them and make them compliant. He was lurking among them for a year or so. He eventually believed they were fascist. He knew that they would like a Theocratic State in the US, that they absolutely hated Muslims just like some Christians used to hate Jews,and he saw them move from having the belief that they should stay out of Politics to the opposite - to working to get all their 'sheep' working Politically. He saw them get involved in Higher Education and working in the Judiciary and legal system as well as having a very strong position in Government.....and these now are the people whose only interest is making sure 'Jews' all move to Israel and rule there over all the areas their bible says they should. They have been working with Netanyahu and the neo cons since the idea of a two state solution to make sure it does not happen.Of course most Palestinians being Muslim they hate and would have no problem with them being dead. Christian Palestinians who have always worked with their Muslims cannot understand why outside Christians do nothing to help them. He has written a book about a future he believes could be here run by fascist Christians. He believes that left wing Christians like himself will be one of the first they come after if they ever manage to get their Theocratic State going in the US which is very possible. Many of the Christians according to Hedges just do not know what they are up to. Thanks for your post.

Demanding immigrants come in legally is not rejection, asking govt to stay away from our health & the fruit of our labors is not denying health insurance, wanting people to be self reliant is not judgement, not allowing you to take away our 2A rights is not self righteous & where do we not want equality of opportunity for all knowing we are all children of God regardless of color or status?

This is a post made of lies & ignorance coming from a place of judgement while you claim some sort of moral superiority over those of us you are condemning.
How do you think God feels about this?

Take heart. Siddhārtha Gautama was a Hindu reformist. He believed that Hinduism had become fettered. Theology, ritual, authority, grace, mystery and tradition are components of religion. He believed they had become overbalanced. Where the form had replaced the meaning. He didn't reject them. He rejected the imbalance. He was a called the rebel child of Hinduism.

What you are saying is very similar... Evangelicals have replaced the meaning with form. They are the perfect corollary to Pharisees, but in no way is it limited to Evangelicals. All faiths have people to some degree who replace the meaning of their religion with the form of their religion.
Jesus was a Pharisee. Try to be at least a
little precise in your writing. I am fascinated
with your view of "evangelicals". To what
FORM do they cling. As I understand the
term "evangelical" it refers to christian sects
that seek converts-----like MOST OF THEM

Scofield convinced the Dominionists and Dispensationists that Jesus can't return until the Israelis build a new temple.
Seems like a minor point to me. THAT
"CHANGED" christianity ?? I have come
across "concepts" ----that suggest that a
"temple" will, someday---DESCEND FROM
HEAVEN ---(ie something like 'built by angels)
by your conjecture--the easter bunny
CHANGED christianity. Scofield said that
"THE ISRAELIS MUST BUILD THE TEMPLE"??
who were "israelis" back then?

Seems like a minor point to me. THAT
"CHANGED" christianity ?? I have come
across "concepts" ----that suggest that a
"temple" will, someday---DESCEND FROM
HEAVEN ---(ie something like 'built by angels)
by your conjecture--the easter bunny
CHANGED christianity. Scofield said that
"THE ISRAELIS MUST BUILD THE TEMPLE"??
who were "israelis" back then?

Scofield was a Zionist. Then he founded the Dallas Theological Seminary to turn out Dominionist and Dispensationist preachers.

Scofield was a Zionist. Then he founded the Dallas Theological Seminary to turn out Dominionist and Dispensationist preachers.
oh----how shocking considering the manner
in which the word ZIONIST is used in your
islamo nazi culture

I am fascinated
with your view of "evangelicals". To what
FORM do they cling. As I understand the
term "evangelical" it refers to christian sects
that seek converts-----like MOST OF THEM
Don't fret yourself. I have no desire or intention of baptizing you.

Forum List

Back