Zone1 How Evangelicals Became Such Hypocrites

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
So who, what, why and how is an "evangelical"? I often forget after all my years of growing up in the church, going to an evangelical seminary and my work in ministry, that many or perhaps most Americans have little knowledge and understanding of the evangelical movement, the Christian faith and how it all connects to American culture and American politics. I would say that most Americans are frustrated at the disproportionate influence and political power that evangelical Christians hold. For some the frustration is more personal because of how they've been treated by the church types. Either way, this mysterious species — the evangelicals — seem to be a major problem in American society. As a trained evangelical, and an ordained minister, I would have to say I completely agree.

Who are these evangelicals? First off, their true ancestors are the Pharisees of the New Testament, whom Jesus describes as being obsessed with legalistic questions but neglecting "the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness."

This is the primary group that had Jesus killed.

Much like the Pharisees, today's American evangelicals do not represent the faith in any genuine way. They have done more damage to the name of Christianity than any group I can think of. Their misuse of the Christian faith as a political weapon against anyone they see as an enemy is driven primarily by greed and a thirst for power.

The sheep who follow the most prominent evangelicals are also guilty of refusing to question these so-called leaders of the Christian faith. They should be measuring their pastor's words and deeds against the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Attending church does not mean we check our brains at the door.

What are these evangelicals? Currently and historically, they are nothing more than a political action committee. They have nothing to do with the foundations of the Christian faith.

Their political agenda is based on hate, rejection, condemnation and self-righteousness. The biblical Pharisees, who were the enemies of Jesus, used their political connections to have him killed. In our own time, these new Pharisees use their enormous political influence to reject foreigners, deny health insurance to millions, judge the poor as lazy, refuse any and all regulation of deadly firearms and stand in opposition to equality of opportunity. In short, they stand side by side with the oppressors on virtually every issue.

So who, what, why and how is an "evangelical"? I often forget after all my years of growing up in the church, going to an evangelical seminary and my work in ministry, that many or perhaps most Americans have little knowledge and understanding of the evangelical movement, the Christian faith and how it all connects to American culture and American politics. I would say that most Americans are frustrated at the disproportionate influence and political power that evangelical Christians hold. For some the frustration is more personal because of how they've been treated by the church types. Either way, this mysterious species — the evangelicals — seem to be a major problem in American society. As a trained evangelical, and an ordained minister, I would have to say I completely agree.

Who are these evangelicals? First off, their true ancestors are the Pharisees of the New Testament, whom Jesus describes as being obsessed with legalistic questions but neglecting "the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness."

Much like the Pharisees, today's American evangelicals do not represent the faith in any genuine way. They have done more damage to the name of Christianity than any group I can think of. Their misuse of the Christian faith as a political weapon against anyone they see as an enemy is driven primarily by greed and a thirst for power.

The sheep who follow the most prominent evangelicals are also guilty of refusing to question these so-called leaders of the Christian faith. They should be measuring their pastor's words and deeds against the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Attending church does not mean we check our brains at the door.

What are these evangelicals? Currently and historically, they are nothing more than a political action committee. They have nothing to do with the foundations of the Christian faith.

Their political agenda is based on hate, rejection, condemnation and self-righteousness. The biblical Pharisees, who were the enemies of Jesus, used their political connections to have him killed. In our own time, these new Pharisees use their enormous political influence to reject foreigners, deny health insurance to millions, judge the poor as lazy, refuse any and all regulation of deadly firearms and stand in opposition to equality of opportunity. In short, they stand side by side with the oppressors on virtually every issue.

Demanding immigrants come in legally is not rejection, asking govt to stay away from our health & the fruit of our labors is not denying health insurance, wanting people to be self reliant is not judgement, not allowing you to take away our 2A rights is not self righteous & where do we not want equality of opportunity for all knowing we are all children of God regardless of color or status?

This is a post made of lies & ignorance coming from a place of judgement while you claim some sort of moral superiority over those of us you are condemning.
How do you think God feels about this?

1656270803744.png

Then there's people like you who think that those who aren't Christian should bend a knee to your demands for healthcare, take away my right to bear arms, think that I should comply with your hypocritical equality and equity standards, give the poor more than food, clothing, and shelter, or refuse invaders unfettered to my nation.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Last edited:

This is the kind of rhetoric that gets people killed. Coming soon, coming soon. We will know we've crossed the threshold when you are there cheering.

We're almost there too.

Two thoughts (1) Great post, well spoken. (2) Hopefully you haven't gotten up on the wrong side of the pulpit. I am no minister, but I agree with you.

Two thoughts (1) Great post, well spoken. (2) Hopefully you haven't gotten up on the wrong side of the pulpit. I am no minister, but I agree with you.

I'm utterly fascinated how an article titled "How Muslims are Hypocrites"--with this entire spew--would do in zone 1. Love the part about the entire political agenda being based on "hatred..." etc.

My guess: it wouldn't last.

But the Two Minutes of Hate is assigned. So be it.

Well thanks. But this post was based on my interest in the article, of which I thought the author was well spoken, and coming from his own education in the ministry, was informative without flaming his own biases.

I can see by replies already, that there aren't as many Christians on this board, as there are Evangelicals, that will have a hard time comprehending they are Pharisees.

But I guess by Jesus Christs own definition, that's what makes them Pharisees.

Well thanks. But this post was based on my interest in the article, of which I thought the author was well spoken, and coming from his own education in the ministry, was informative without flaming his own biases.

I can see by replies already, that there aren't as many Christians on this board, as there are Evangelicals, that will have a hard time comprehending they are Pharisees.

You don't like what you ASSUME are our politics, so we're Pharisees. That's it.

I wonder what you would say if I changed the article so that every single reference was changed from Evangelical to Muslim. You would no doubt lose your MIND. Remember "not all Muslims"?

Right, of course, and this was always after MAJOR, massive terrorist attacks.

But "all Evangelicals..." always welcome. Always.

None of that was his words, it's all copy and paste.

Sorry Carl, you included nothing of your own in the post. It's all out of your article.

You mad that the TENS OF MILLIONS OF INDIVIDUAL CHRISTIANS have a vote? 😄
Why do Christians bother to vote?

"Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." John 18:36

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33

Are those Christian who vote expecting to find His Kingdom at the ballot box? Will His Kingdom, as it is prayed: "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven" happen when a critical mass of Bible Thumping Republicans seize earthly political office?

Are those Christian who vote expecting to find His Kingdom at the ballot box? Will His Kingdom, as it is prayed: "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven" happen when a critical mass of Bible Thumping Republicans seize earthly political office?
Jesus' kingdom is a spiritual kingdom, within everyone's reach. Separate and apart, there are still earthly governments which are our duty to supervise. At the moment, here in America, many are unhappy with those currently managing the government. Democrats are doing the party a disservice by claiming despite everything, they are on the right path. They are not. Republicans say they can do better. Shrug, they don't seem capable of doing much, or if they are, they certainly aren't doing it.

Therefore, I tend to lean towards the Libertarian view. Get rid of as much government as we can and let people run their own lives, their own small part of the community in which they reside.

Jesus' kingdom is a spiritual kingdom, within everyone's reach. Separate and apart, there are still earthly governments which are our duty to supervise. At the moment, here in America, many are unhappy with those currently managing the government. Democrats are doing the party a disservice by claiming despite everything, they are on the right path. They are not. Republicans say they can do better. Shrug, they don't seem capable of doing much, or if they are, they certainly aren't doing it.

Therefore, I tend to lean towards the Libertarian view. Get rid of as much government as we can and let people run their own lives, their own small part of the community in which they reside.
Where did Jesus tell His followers to go out and supervise earthly governments? Christians in the 1st century weren't trying to supervise the Roman Empire, were they?

Where did Jesus tell His followers to go out and supervise earthly governments? Christians in the 1st century weren't trying to supervise the Roman Empire, were they?
Nor did he tell his followers to take up crocheting or caring for chinchillas (and I do both of those as well even though Jesus never mentioned them). While Jesus never addressed a Republic form of government because Rome was not a Republic at that time. Jesus did say "Give to Caesar" so I can imagine him saying, "Give to the Republic (your vote, your obedience, your opinions) what is the Republic's and give to God what is God's."

Great post. Thanks.

You don't like what you ASSUME are our politics, so we're Pharisees. That's it.

I wonder what you would say if I changed the article so that every single reference was changed from Evangelical to Muslim. You would no doubt lose your MIND. Remember "not all Muslims"?

Right, of course, and this was always after MAJOR, massive terrorist attacks.

But "all Evangelicals..." always welcome. Always.

Are Muslims a voting block in the US?

Jesus did say "Give to Caesar" so I can imagine him saying, "Give to the Republic (your vote, your obedience, your opinions) what is the Republic's and give to God what is God's."
Give your obedience to the republic who worshipped Caesar as if he was a god? Seriously? No.

When Jesus said "render unto Caesar the things of Caesar" it seemed like he was saying to pay Roman taxes but to the dedicated Jew who knew that everything belonged to God he was saying the exact opposite, give Caesar nothing because nothing belonged to Caesar especially in Judea.

Forum List

Back