How Do You Know Voting By Mail Works? The Military Has Been Doing It Since The Civil War

Home Depot lets in 200 people at a time. Walmarts are packed.

No reason we can't go to the polls in November.

I know, it's insane. Because so few places are open, those 'essential' places are packed like Black Friday.

WASHINGTON — The nation in crisis. A divisive president up for re-election. Millions of Americans who can't make it to their local polling place. Partisan fights over proposals to vote by mail.

Sound familiar?

It was the 1860s, the Civil War was raging and Republicans, led by President Abraham Lincoln, wanted to let Union soldiers vote from the battlefield. The opposition Democrats balked. They warned of rampant fraud and "a scheme" by Republicans "to gain some great advantage to their party," as one Wisconsin state senator put it before the legislature voted on party lines to become the first state to legalize absentee voting.

About 150,000 of the 1 million Union soldiers were able to vote absentee in the 1864 presidential election in what became the first widespread use of non-in-person voting in American history.

A century and a half later, amidst a new debate over voting by mail as the country prepares to hold an election during a different kind of war — this one against the coronavirus — America's long history of letting soldiers vote from far-flung war zones shows the issue has always been controversial, but that the worst fears of critics have never come to pass.

It's now easier in some ways for a Marine in Afghanistan to vote than it is for an American stuck at home during the COVID-19 lockdown. And some lawmakers and advocates want to use the rules that lets that Marine cast a ballot as a model for how all Americans could vote in the November presidential election if the pandemic continues.

Coming to your state soon.
DNC Chair has faith in mail-in voting, expects safe convention

Here's just one example of how easy it would be to cheat. I'll use a fictional voter not to offend anyone.
Let's say a rapid whackjob leftist Spews14 moves to a new apartment 3 months before the election. He changes his address. He then receives his official ballot at the new place. He also receives a ballot of the former tenant. Spews14 is such a demented leftist he believes the world will end if Trump gets another 4 years he votes for Quid Pro Joe a second time and mails it in.
Now how does the election commitee know Spews14 cheated?

The Previous Occupant will vote at his new location. And it will be bagged in the Election Audit. Spews14 is in serious trouble at that point. If you State does not do any Election Audits (some don't, mostly red states) then you need to fire the lot of them.

Iowa couldnt even handle a small caucus. The majority of blue states won't let anyone clean up the election rolls from the dead. Dont be stupid.

We've had vote-by-mail FOR EVERY SINGLE ELECTION here in Oregon since 1998.
It's definitely handier than hell, but the possibilities of fraud are certainly out there.

There have been cases where some voters never received ballots.
There have been cases where voters have received more than one ballot.
Dead voters have received ballots.
In the privacy of a voters home, a voter can easily be coerced into voting a certain way.
Ballots both filled out, and not filled out have been found in the trash.

I have an anecdotal story.

A friend here in the state, has been married for over 30 years. He and his wife have differing political views, and frequently get into some really heated arguments. He's a Dim, she's conservative. He's always in favor of property and other tax levies, she's always against them.
Candidates they also always disagree on (by the way, on a side note, my advice, never EVER E-V-E-R begin a live-in relationship if you have differing political views. Once the newness of the relationship wears off, you will be completely miserable).

Anyway, he has mentioned to me more than once , that he has destroyed her filled out ballot, knowing how she would have voted, and knowing it would cancel out his vote.
Yep, illegal as hell, he could go to prison, but I bet this sort of thing does indeed happen.

Makes sense. The only two cases of mail-in voter fraud recorded for the 2018 Election were both done by Republicans. And both were found in the Election Audit that we do here. What you have shown is, you Party of the Rumpsters are the ones to watch.

Its way too easy to cheat with mail-in ballots.

That's easy to say ... but now you need explain how ... Oregon has been strictly mail-in elections for a couple decades now ... so far there's been no cheating worth mentioning ... when one person registers to vote, one ballot is sent out, one ballot returned and the signature is checked to make sure it matches the signature at the voter registration office ...

We can't just photocopy 100 ballets and send them in ... one per person is all that will be counted ...

Again, the question is how do we cheat a mail-in election that can't be done during conventional elections with absentee ballots ...

Of course the better question is how do we mail in a decent sized ballet ... ha ha ha ...

We have both in person and mail-in voting. Believe it or not, there are more problems with the In Person than the mail-in by far. Colorado does an after election audit where all ballots are checked. There were only two fraudulent votes done in 2018 and one was done by the Head of the State Republican Party who filled out his divorced Wife(She lives in another state and voted there) and one other who also was a republican who filled out someone elses vote. Both were bagged. There is more of a chance of voting in person to be fraudulent than by mail-in because it's harder to stop the fake IDs.

I mail-in voted 4 times while in the Military in the major elections and it went well. I mail-in vote now. If any "Side" is wanting to stop mail-in voting from happening you should ask your self how they are cheating now without it.
You have no way of knowing if your mail-in ballots were counted.

WASHINGTON — The nation in crisis. A divisive president up for re-election. Millions of Americans who can't make it to their local polling place. Partisan fights over proposals to vote by mail.

Sound familiar?

It was the 1860s, the Civil War was raging and Republicans, led by President Abraham Lincoln, wanted to let Union soldiers vote from the battlefield. The opposition Democrats balked. They warned of rampant fraud and "a scheme" by Republicans "to gain some great advantage to their party," as one Wisconsin state senator put it before the legislature voted on party lines to become the first state to legalize absentee voting.

About 150,000 of the 1 million Union soldiers were able to vote absentee in the 1864 presidential election in what became the first widespread use of non-in-person voting in American history.

A century and a half later, amidst a new debate over voting by mail as the country prepares to hold an election during a different kind of war — this one against the coronavirus — America's long history of letting soldiers vote from far-flung war zones shows the issue has always been controversial, but that the worst fears of critics have never come to pass.

It's now easier in some ways for a Marine in Afghanistan to vote than it is for an American stuck at home during the COVID-19 lockdown. And some lawmakers and advocates want to use the rules that lets that Marine cast a ballot as a model for how all Americans could vote in the November presidential election if the pandemic continues.

Then why does Pelosi claim remote voting is too dangerous and unsecure for Congress?

I've lived in this house for 6 years. The mail lady delivers mail to people who haven't lived here in years.

What kind of mail? ... I get a lot of mail addressed to "John Doe or Current Resident" ... or are you getting IRS summons or election office mail for other people? ...
Lat thing I got was for a previous resident's retirement plan.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the USPS knowing who lives where.

If the state has a place on the back of envelope for you to sign after you seal it and it doesn't match your signature they have on file for you the ballot is tossed. So what does it matter if the mailman deliver's to wrong address?
IF the state has that in place.

Sound familiar?

Does the term absentee ballot ring any bells? You vote in person or absentee end of story.

Its way too easy to cheat with mail-in ballots.

That's easy to say ... but now you need explain how ... Oregon has been strictly mail-in elections for a couple decades now ... so far there's been no cheating worth mentioning ... when one person registers to vote, one ballot is sent out, one ballot returned and the signature is checked to make sure it matches the signature at the voter registration office ...

We can't just photocopy 100 ballets and send them in ... one per person is all that will be counted ...

Again, the question is how do we cheat a mail-in election that can't be done during conventional elections with absentee ballots ...

Of course the better question is how do we mail in a decent sized ballet ... ha ha ha ...

We have both in person and mail-in voting. Believe it or not, there are more problems with the In Person than the mail-in by far. Colorado does an after election audit where all ballots are checked. There were only two fraudulent votes done in 2018 and one was done by the Head of the State Republican Party who filled out his divorced Wife(She lives in another state and voted there) and one other who also was a republican who filled out someone elses vote. Both were bagged. There is more of a chance of voting in person to be fraudulent than by mail-in because it's harder to stop the fake IDs.

I mail-in voted 4 times while in the Military in the major elections and it went well. I mail-in vote now. If any "Side" is wanting to stop mail-in voting from happening you should ask your self how they are cheating now without it.
You have no way of knowing if your mail-in ballots were counted.

There was a ballot box that was missed in 2018 found in 2019. An entire voting box. We have no idea that all the votes at the precinct are counted either. But there is a very good chance that they are. You can what-if till the cows come home but, in the end, the United States has the best election model in the World with fewer mistakes made. It ain't the 1960s and back anymore. I wonder how the people that voted at the precinct feel that their votes weren't counted. What's sad is, the County Clerk blamed everyone else besides herself and she still is in office. She even blamed the Elderly.

If you want to vote by mail join the military get deployed overseas and I will fully support your right to vote by mail otherwise you can stand in line like the rest of us.

Already voted that way 4 times. I paid the dues. And I support mail-in voting to get more people to vote. But more people voting scares the living hell out of you, doesn't it.

Sound familiar?

You have a point, although you fricken loons weren't cheating back then.

If you want to vote by mail join the military get deployed overseas and I will fully support your right to vote by mail otherwise you can stand in line like the rest of us.

Already voted that way 4 times. I paid the dues. And I support mail-in voting to get more people to vote. But more people voting scares the living hell out of you, doesn't it.
No and you have given me no legitmate reason why mail in voting is needed we have had local, state, and fedral elections for decades without it with no issues. If you are planning to use the coronavirus excuse for mail in voting my response is I have seen people wearing mask and social distancing standing in line to get into Academy Sports stores and Home Depots to name a couple if people can do it for that they can do it for voting.

Sound familiar?

In the 2000 Florida Recount, the Democrats tried to get all military ballots thrown out.

Just sayin'...!

Forum List

Back