How are cops supposed to know if their attacker is armed or not?

People think cops have elite hand to hand fighting skills or something. They dont. If they're lucky they get some basic boxing and grapplint trainint in the academy. ...skills they lose within a year if they dont keep training.

The people bitching about this...are mostly people who have never been in a real violent fight. They dont understand what its like fighting a real man...who may want to kill you. Not a school yard scrap over a girl. A life or possibly death fight with a violent felon...armed or not.

On a side.note...most people who get stabbed in a fight never see the knife. They usually say they thought it was just a punch until they saw all the blood.

So...cops could wrestle and box with these thugs. But why risk it?

Because that is their job. Shoot first and ask questions later isn't part of their job description. I know cops have a hard job, and they sometimes have to do what ever it takes, including killing somebody. Most cops are great, but the ones who aren't are giving them all a bad name.

So was the Mike Brown shooting justified?
Just trying to get a view into your perspective.

That is a complex decision. Of course it has been determined by people who know much more about the situation than me that the shooting was justified. I accept their decision. However, I have to wonder if the history of police abuse of power in Ferguson didn't have some impact on Brown's behavior. A better relationship between the police and the public would have probably brought about a much different outcome. The police had as much to do with that as anyone else. Their job is to protect and serve, not to be an occupying army.

People think cops have elite hand to hand fighting skills or something. They dont. If they're lucky they get some basic boxing and grapplint trainint in the academy. ...skills they lose within a year if they dont keep training.

The people bitching about this...are mostly people who have never been in a real violent fight. They dont understand what its like fighting a real man...who may want to kill you. Not a school yard scrap over a girl. A life or possibly death fight with a violent felon...armed or not.

On a side.note...most people who get stabbed in a fight never see the knife. They usually say they thought it was just a punch until they saw all the blood.

Because that is their job. Shoot first and ask questions later isn't part of their job description. I know cops have a hard job, and they sometimes have to do what ever it takes, including killing somebody. Most cops are great, but the ones who aren't are giving them all a bad name.

That is a complex decision. Of course it has been determined by people who know much more about the situation than me that the shooting was justified. I accept their decision. However, I have to wonder if the history of police abuse of power in Ferguson didn't have some impact on Brown's behavior. A better relationship between the police and the public would have probably brought about a much different outcome. The police had as much to do with that as anyone else. Their job is to protect and serve, not to be an occupying army.

I'm not going to take the word of eric holder when it comes to the Ferguson police department.
Saying blacks receive the majority of attention from the Ferguson police is akin to saying criminals are incarcerated more than none criminals.....well no shit Sherlock!

I'm not going to take the word of eric holder when it comes to the Ferguson police department.
Saying blacks receive the majority of attention from the Ferguson police is akin to saying criminals are incarcerated more than none criminals.....well no shit Sherlock!

Make up your silly little mind. Either he is credible or he is not. You're quite happy to accept his department's decision on the policeman's guilt. You only accept agreement with your preconceived opinion? How immature of you. I thought the cop was guilty as sin, but I was wrong. Why can't you accept the judgment of people who know much more about it than you or I ever will.

Make up your silly little mind. Either he is credible or he is not. You're quite happy to accept his department's decision on the policeman's guilt. You only accept agreement with your preconceived opinion? How immature of you. I thought the cop was guilty as sin, but I was wrong. Why can't you accept the judgment of people who know much more about it than you or I ever will.

Holder couldnt make anything stick on officer Wilson so he went with the fabricated shit against the whole force.
Of course there is more police activity in the black community and every other poor community..thats where all the crime is. Just like in every city in this country.

In America, 2015 police should assume all black people are armed and walk slowly away. True, they may be shot in the back but they could not be accused of racism - a fate far worse than death.
That is a shame, because in 2014, whites killed more cops than ANY race combined.

Holder couldnt make anything stick on officer Wilson so he went with the fabricated shit against the whole force.
Of course there is more police activity in the black community and every other poor community..thats where all the crime is. Just like in every city in this country.

So you think he made up all the documentation he used to make that determination? It came directly from the reports made by Ferguson police. Typical teabagger. Only believe what supports your political beliefs, and ignore the rest. Anybody who watched the police escalate the violence every chance they got on TV could see they were more of a military organization than a police organization.

So you think he made up all the documentation he used to make that determination? It came directly from the reports made by Ferguson police. Typical teabagger. Only believe what supports your political beliefs, and ignore the rest. Anybody who watched the police escalate the violence every chance they got on TV could see they were more of a military organization than a police organization.

How many times does it have to be explained to you?
Of course there's more police activity in the ghetto..it's where the crimes are being committed.
If it were up to me the cops would ignore all calls from that area of Ferguson and see how long it takes for em to beg the cops to come back.

Of course there's more police activity in the ghetto..it's where the crimes are being committed.
If it were up to me the cops would ignore all calls from that area of Ferguson and see how long it takes for em to beg the cops to come back.

At question is not the amount of police activity. It's the type of police activity. If you kick a dog every time you walk past him, sooner or later he will bite you before you get a chance to kick him. No, I'm not comparing blacks to dogs, but the natural self defense behavior is the same. I'm not trying to justify bad behavior by blacks. It's wrong. Police behavior has made the situation worse. That's not what cops are supposed to do.

In America, 2015 police should assume all black people are armed and walk slowly away. True, they may be shot in the back but they could not be accused of racism - a fate far worse than death.
That is a shame, because in 2014, whites killed more cops than ANY race combined.

Damn those pesky percentages...
Do the research...percentages don't work in your favor...bubba. YOu are just a lemming who reads whatever they believe. Damned that pesky reality. But it is telling that you excuse and justify white crime with pesky percentages.

At question is not the amount of police activity. It's the type of police activity. If you kick a dog every time you walk past him, sooner or later he will bite you before you get a chance to kick him. No, I'm not comparing blacks to dogs, but the natural self defense behavior is the same. I'm not trying to justify bad behavior by blacks. It's wrong. Police behavior has made the situation worse. That's not what cops are supposed to do.

So they're supposed to ignore crime when it happens in low income areas of Ferguson? Works for me..how long do you think it'll be before they cry racism because the cops dont show up when called?

They always shoot, they don't think. If you're a black person in your car\home\backyard - get ready to take shot! Racism and stupidity - the main factors proves that most of policemen never think before shootings!

So they're supposed to ignore crime when it happens in low income areas of Ferguson? Works for me..how long do you think it'll be before they cry racism because the cops dont show up when called?

Not what I'm saying at all. Assuming everyone in the area is guilty of a crime, and treating them all that way before you even know what is happening isn't the best way to solve a crime, but is the best way to eliminate any cooperation or respect the cop might have had.

Not what I'm saying at all. Assuming everyone in the area is guilty of a crime, and treating them all that way before you even know what is happening isn't the best way to solve a crime, but is the best way to eliminate any cooperation or respect the cop might have had.

If you remember correctly the thing that got Mike Brown killed was lack of respect for the law. What kind of dumbass walks down the middle of the street particularly when a cop is rolling up behind you and you just robbed a store?
And blacks have been playing the old"I didnt see nothen" forever when it comes to crimes.

If you remember correctly the thing that got Mike Brown killed was lack of respect for the law. What kind of dumbass walks down the middle of the street particularly when a cop is rolling up behind you and you just robbed a store?
And blacks have been playing the old"I didnt see nothen" forever when it comes to crimes.

That's exactly my point. The police tactic of depending on intimidation and force in every situation prevents any respect for the law from developing. If I know I will be treated as criminal no matter what I do, I'm not going to show the respect the police want and need either. I'm not saying that all cops were always wrong, and all the people there were always right. I'm just saying it was stupid for the police to let it degenerate into the combative situation it became. It's the policeman's job to try to prevent that instead of making it worse.

Sonny, this is a brand new day.
This is a no respect for authority situation we are dealing with. Suicide by cop is all the rage, thinking you are somehow entitled, thinking that because you are unarmed that gives you the right to be confrontational is what this is. And the cop is suppose to be able to discern which is which in any given situation? Garbage.
Whether you are in the right or whether you are in the wrong, if you want to stay alive, when a cop tells you to do something, DO IT.

I doubt there are many police officers that get up and say, "No time for breakfast honey, today I'm gonna go find me some kid to kill!"

Hands up, don't shoot WORKS, if you actually put your hands up.

Only in a fairy tale world. Go to my Facebook page and read what I get sent to me every single day.

We are talking about Law Enforcement officers. They enforce. It's what they are paid to do. I'll bet for every bad cop out there, there are 100 good ones. With no way to tell which is which, your best bet is to do what they tell you and diffuse the situation, not escalade it. There are camera's on every corner and one in everybody's pocket, and we love to video cops, so if you are mistreated, there is a good chance it's going to be seen and recorded. Better safe than sorry. Challenge a cop after the situation, not during.

Sonny, this is a brand new day.
This is a no respect for authority situation we are dealing with. Suicide by cop is all the rage, thinking you are somehow entitled, thinking that because you are unarmed that gives you the right to be confrontational is what this is. And the cop is suppose to be able to discern which is which in any given situation? Garbage.
Whether you are in the right or whether you are in the wrong, if you want to stay alive, when a cop tells you to do something, DO IT.

I doubt there are many police officers that get up and say, "No time for breakfast honey, today I'm gonna go find me some kid to kill!"

Hands up, don't shoot WORKS, if you actually put your hands up.

Only in a fairy tale world. Go to my Facebook page and read what I get sent to me every single day.

We are talking about Law Enforcement officers. They enforce. It's what they are paid to do. I'll bet for every bad cop out there, there are 100 good ones. With no way to tell which is which, your best bet is to do what they tell you and diffuse the situation, not escalade it. There are camera's on every corner and one in everybody's pocket, and we love to video cops, so if you are mistreated, there is a good chance it's going to be seen and recorded. Better safe than sorry. Challenge a cop after the situation, not during.

Their motto is "to protect and serve" No doubt there are plenty of good cops. They just weren't behaving that way in Ferguson. Cameras will help. Behaving as a cop instead of an occupying force would be better.

That's exactly my point. The police tactic of depending on intimidation and force in every situation prevents any respect for the law from developing. If I know I will be treated as criminal no matter what I do, I'm not going to show the respect the police want and need either. I'm not saying that all cops were always wrong, and all the people there were always right. I'm just saying it was stupid for the police to let it degenerate into the combative situation it became. It's the policeman's job to try to prevent that instead of making it worse.

Lack of respect for the police brings it on.
I always ask myself when this kind of crap happens.
Would I ever find myself in a situation like the guy got capped in?
The answer is no 99.9% of the time.
Had MB not robbed a store,stayed out of the street,obeyed the orders of the police officer he'd be alive today. And thats a fact.

Had MB not robbed a store,stayed out of the street,obeyed the orders of the police officer he'd be alive today. And thats a fact.

The guy was a punk. The police behavior made that more prevalent in the neighborhood.

The guy was a punk. The police behavior made that more prevalent in the neighborhood.

No,the lack of proper upbringing made that prevalent.
His father was a gang member,is it any wonder he turned out like he did?
If the cycle isnt broken this shit will continue to happen.
Nothing pisses me off more than to hear the dead criminals parents/parent blame the police when they are the ones to blame.
And if I hear "he was such a nice boy"one more time I'm gonna puke.

Forum List

Back