How are cops supposed to know if their attacker is armed or not?

"How are cops supposed to know if their attacker is armed or not?"

Wrong question.

The correct questions:

Why are situations allowed to escalate to the point where deadly forced is perceived as necessary.

What occasions police officers to even come into contact with these persons – is stopping or questioning even warranted.

Many of these incidents occur in the context of exceedingly minor alleged crimes, where neither law enforcement or anyone in the general public are in imminent danger.

The incident in Wisconsin this Friday is typical, where there was no good reason for the officer to pursue the suspect based only on anonymous phone calls of an alleged battery, and where the officer himself didn't witness a crime; once the suspect had left the area of the alleged battery and was no longer a danger to the general public or law enforcement, no further action was warranted on the part of the officer.

Whether you are in the right or whether you are in the wrong, if you want to stay alive, when a cop tells you to do something, DO IT.

I don't buy that. Lots of bad cops out there and sometimes doing what they say can be a bad idea. I can't fault someone for turning around and running from the cops. Not that michael brown did that but if he had, and the cop shot him, then even i would say he was murdered.

Not doing what they say is always a bad idea. They are the ones in authority.
If you have a beef with them, you don't run, you don't drive off, you don't mouth off. If you have been injured by a cop after not doing any of those things, or if you think you were wrongly accused by a cop then you take it up with a lawyer, a judge, the ACLU. Because you will still be alive to perform those functions. And as litigious as this country is, you'll probably win your case against the bad old cops. Run, fight, argue, and you're telling the cops, "Come get me." And they will.

Cops trying to figure out what a perp is thinking makes for dead cops. When they warn you and you resist, they're not putting your life at risk, you are.

Last edited:
I don't buy that. Lots of bad cops out there and sometimes doing what they say can be a bad idea. I can't fault someone for turning around and running from the cops. Not that michael brown did that but if he had, and the cop shot him, then even i would say he was murdered.

If you have a beef with them, you don't run, you don't drive off, you don't mouth off. If you have been injured by a cop after not doing any of those things, or if you think you were wrongly accused by a cop then you take it up with a lawyer, a judge, the ACLU. .

That's BS. People get screwed by cops all the time and there is no justice for them. Lawyers and judges are all crooks and the ACLU is just a racket.

Wrong question.

The correct questions:

Why are situations allowed to escalate to the point where deadly forced is perceived as necessary.

What occasions police officers to even come into contact with these persons – is stopping or questioning even warranted.

Many of these incidents occur in the context of exceedingly minor alleged crimes, where neither law enforcement or anyone in the general public are in imminent danger.

The incident in Wisconsin this Friday is typical, where there was no good reason for the officer to pursue the suspect based only on anonymous phone calls of an alleged battery, and where the officer himself didn't witness a crime; once the suspect had left the area of the alleged battery and was no longer a danger to the general public or law enforcement, no further action was warranted on the part of the officer.

That is exactly the right question to ask if you are a cop. The situation escalates because of a lack of respect for the police officer. If a cop says, "Down on the ground" and you say, "FU pig not going to do it", it will escalate to the point where deadly force may be a real possibility. Teach that to your children, and they will live. You don't get to break the law and then determine whether or not the cops should challenge your actions.

If you have a beef with them, you don't run, you don't drive off, you don't mouth off. If you have been injured by a cop after not doing any of those things, or if you think you were wrongly accused by a cop then you take it up with a lawyer, a judge, the ACLU. .

That's BS. People get screwed by cops all the time and there is no justice for them. Lawyers and judges are all crooks and the ACLU is just a racket.

Yeah, the whole world is crooked but you and Michael Brown. If you think that challenging a cop is your only recourse for justice, then take your chances with the cops. Ignore their warnings, size 'em up to see if you might be able to kick their ass, have another drink, take another pill and then have at it. And if you have a gun, by all means pull it out and aim it at the cop. Pull a Michael Brown on them and charge at them. Good luck with that.

Wrong question.

The correct questions:

Wrong
The duty of the police officer is to investigate possible crimes and prevent others. He cannot just let the guy go. What if the guy was actually a murderer and goes and kills someone else? The officer must respond to every complaint.

People think cops have elite hand to hand fighting skills or something. They dont. If they're lucky they get some basic boxing and grapplint trainint in the academy. ...skills they lose within a year if they dont keep training.

The people bitching about this...are mostly people who have never been in a real violent fight. They dont understand what its like fighting a real man...who may want to kill you. Not a school yard scrap over a girl. A life or possibly death fight with a violent felon...armed or not.

On a side.note...most people who get stabbed in a fight never see the knife. They usually say they thought it was just a punch until they saw all the blood.

So...cops could wrestle and box with these thugs. But why risk it?

Because that is their job. Shoot first and ask questions later isn't part of their job description. I know cops have a hard job, and they sometimes have to do what ever it takes, including killing somebody. Most cops are great, but the ones who aren't are giving them all a bad name.

Whether you are in the right or whether you are in the wrong, if you want to stay alive, when a cop tells you to do something, DO IT.

If you have a beef with them, you don't run, you don't drive off, you don't mouth off. If you have been injured by a cop after not doing any of those things, or if you think you were wrongly accused by a cop then you take it up with a lawyer, a judge, the ACLU. Because you will still be alive to perform those functions. And as litigious as this country is, you'll probably win your case against the bad old cops. Run, fight, argue, and you're telling the cops, "Come get me." And they will.

Cops trying to figure out what a perp is thinking makes for dead cops. When they warn you and you resist, they're not putting your life at risk, you are.

You are right. The cop might as well be GOD if he stops you on the side of the road. He can SAY you did anything, and beat the hell out of you just because he wants to. Usually, all you have is your word that he is lying. Without witnesses, that doesn't go very far in court. The cops that abuse that kind of power and destroy the public's trust are the problem. I wonder why the cops don't police themselves.

Every situation is different. A cop should use a gun only as a last resort before he is overwhelmed, incapacitated or disarmed.

If he waits that long there's a good chance it's already over,and the cop has no duty to get pummeled before he starts shooting.
If the suspect is acting stupid and the cop doesnt have a partner for back up he's going to be a little trigger happy..and I dont blame him.

Every situation is different. A cop should use a gun only as a last resort before he is overwhelmed, incapacitated or disarmed.

If a 300 pounder like michael brown is charging you, are you gonna hold fire till he's on top of you? THINK
I should have stressed the word, before. That should be sufficient. In your example I would hold fire until he was close enough to get powder burns.

Thats a bit to close. If he is charging you and you have your weapon drawn he's probably a few fries short of a happy meal...shoot his dumb ass.

People think cops have elite hand to hand fighting skills or something. They dont. If they're lucky they get some basic boxing and grapplint trainint in the academy. ...skills they lose within a year if they dont keep training.

The people bitching about this...are mostly people who have never been in a real violent fight. They dont understand what its like fighting a real man...who may want to kill you. Not a school yard scrap over a girl. A life or possibly death fight with a violent felon...armed or not.

On a side.note...most people who get stabbed in a fight never see the knife. They usually say they thought it was just a punch until they saw all the blood.

So...cops could wrestle and box with these thugs. But why risk it?

Because that is their job. Shoot first and ask questions later isn't part of their job description. I know cops have a hard job, and they sometimes have to do what ever it takes, including killing somebody. Most cops are great, but the ones who aren't are giving them all a bad name.

So was the Mike Brown shooting justified?
Just trying to get a view into your perspective.

The cop has a duty to stop a violent suspect and while shooting someone in the back may be distasteful,it's well within the cops rights to do so.

Wrong question.

The correct questions:

Allowed to escalate? Do you really think the cop gas a choice in the matter?

Cops are trained to use their MagLites ( flashlights ), batons, and trained in self-defense. They're also instructed to call for back-up when needed. In addition, most of them carry some type of defensive spray ( pepper spray ). So, when an unarmed person is approached, forget everything and start shooting? Sorry, but something doesn't add up. And, take a look at the victims. Some of the victims are young kids, old women and old men, non-attack family pets, and disabled people in wheelchairs.

What category does michael brown fall into.? He was a 300 pound giant in the physical prime of his life. THINK
According to several witnesses, he was a good distance from the officer when shot. I don't believe that he was attacking the officer at the time he was shot.

Sonny, this is a brand new day.
This is a no respect for authority situation we are dealing with. Suicide by cop is all the rage, thinking you are somehow entitled, thinking that because you are unarmed that gives you the right to be confrontational is what this is. And the cop is suppose to be able to discern which is which in any given situation? Garbage.

I doubt there are many police officers that get up and say, "No time for breakfast honey, today I'm gonna go find me some kid to kill!"

Hands up, don't shoot WORKS, if you actually put your hands up.
Only in a fairy tale world. Go to my Facebook page and read what I get sent to me every single day.

Well, understand that being unarmed does not matter to any cop. That's a fact. It seems like they are privileged, and can do whatever they like.

If it comes to that, I don't see why the cops can't just shoot them in the leg. No, instead they gotta shoot them ten times in the fucking chest like they never fucking shot anything before. Fucking panzy ass bitches.

I mean if the suspect is aiming a gun at you, fuck yeah shoot him right between the eyes, or the heart. Make that shit precise. Otherwise demonstrate some restraint. Some control. Some respect for Life.

Forum List

Back